2009 C6 OEM Tyres - Stick or Go Standard

Vettemike09

Committee Member
I knew when I bought my C6 recently that I would need a new set of boots pretty soon. So who can help me out, what are the original make and spec of C6 run-flats and what are the thoughts and experiences of moving to another, standard, tyre option?

N

Norm

2009 Chevrolet Corvette Tire Sizes
C6 Convertible Performance Handling Package
(front) 245/40R18

(rear) 285/35R19

C6 Convertible Standard Model
(front) 245/40R18

(rear) 285/35R19

C6 Coupe Performance Handling Package
(front) 245/40R18

(rear) 285/35R19

C6 Coupe Standard Model
(front) 245/40R18

(rear) 285/35R19

Z06
(front) 275/35R18

(rear) 325/30R19

ZR1
(front) 285/30R19

(rear) 335/25R20

Unless you want to change the look or profile of the car, stick with the stock sizes above. You don't have that much wiggle room in wheel and tire sizes on the later generations unless alterations are to be made.

Good luck with project.

Vettemike09

Committee Member
Thanks for the info Norm. What was the manufacturer and model type of the tyres originally? Is there a recommended more recent option?

N

Norm

My '10 GS had Goodyears, really don't know all the manufacturers that were used. I want to say Goodyear's were on most C6's, except maybe the ZR-1's.
You can't go wrong with Michelin's, Pirelli's, and other brands of that caliber

Jack Cooper

Well-known user
I think 'base' 2009 C6s were fitted with Goodyear Eagle F1 run-flats; the Black Book isn't very specific on this, altho' it does record that 2009 ZR1s left
Bowling green with Michelin Pilot Sport 2 tyres.
Mike B: I found when I wanted G'year F1 run-flats a few years ago, they were temporarily unavailable; apparently they were (still are?) made in
batches and there was an unspecified delivery period. I wasn't prepared to wait so bought some Michelin Pilot Sport 'ZP' ('Zero Pressure', i.e. run-
flats) for the front on my '07. (I had previously managed to get G'years for the rear, so am currently running Mich. on the front and G'year on the rear;
doesn't seem to have any negative effects - well, not at road speeds, anyway).
As Norm says, you can't really go wrong if you stick with well-regarded makes of rubber such as Goodyear, Michelin, Pirelli, Continental.....
I wouldn't scrimp on tyre quality on your '09.
J.C. (1911)

Vettemike09

Committee Member
Guys, FYI, Just incase anyone also wants new tyres for their C6, I met the guy from Michelin who designs the road and race tyres for Corvette at the BASH at NCM this year. He sent me the tyre chart for my car. Long story short, Michelin in Europe show the Sport 4 non-runflat available for my car’s front tyre size but only Sport 4 S in the size for my rear tyres. They don’t recommend mixing the two specs, but the annoying thing is that depends on who you speak to at Michelin...... not impressive!! So I have ordered Michelin Super Sport run-flats just to be safe. The car has run-flats, different brands front and rear, at the moment and it’s not too noisy

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
Well, Michelin aren't any worse than Pirelli. When I bought a set of (non-runflat) PZero Rossos for the C6 a few years back, their website showed these as the recommended tyre for the C6. When I contacted them for advice on something, they basically said that they had no experience of these tyres on a C6, and couldn't answer the question(s). Duuhh?

From what I have read, the latest generation runflat tyres, certainly for the C6 OE Goodyear Eagle F1 runflats, are (much?) quieter than the earlier ones. Suppose the decision on runflats (Y/N?) depends on where & how you use the car? Think its true to say that the majority of C6 owning club members, like myself, have gone non-runflats? Club member Mick is on his 2nd C7. He's saying that when the warranty and tyres run out on his latest one, its non-runflats replacements. One man's meat and all that?

C6NL

CCCUK Member
I have been using Michelin Pilot Super Sport runflats for two years now, excellent tire. With these you keep the direct steering response that is gone when you go for non runflats. Very sticky tire in the dry, better compared to the latest generation F1 Supercar, in the rain they are worlds apart, the Michelin is much better. Also lower road noise, all in all a worthy succesor to the latest generation F1 tires.

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
Yes Fred, Think you also said before that the car is designed/engineered to run on Run Flats? I bought the fronts and backs from different suppliers, trying to get the best deal, so found out what other cars they fit on. So kept thinking I've got Audi TT ones on the front, and Ferrari F430 ones on the back.:)

Seahawk 80

Regular user
The only reason I would choose to install "run flat" tires is purely on the basis of if the insurer insisted on it,but my opinion of them and this is something I've found out from studies of them is that they offer less grip,poor ride quality,higher fuel consumption,more road noise,cannot be repaired and are a pig for the tire fitters to fit,apart from that they're a great choice!.The supposed benefit of them is that they will "run flat",that is if they only have a hole in them and not a cut or gash and that is for 50 miles max at 50 mph.I would suggest you may as well fit cross-ply tires,I think they're purely designed to comply with a nonsensical regulation,I think running normal radial tires is the sensible option,I would think that the "benefits" of run flat tires are getting a puncture near home but other than that it's all negative.

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
Well, the first time I read/heard of someone replacing the runflats on their car with non-runflats, was many years ago in an article featuring Mr Frank Sytner of Sytner BMW. Did that on his personal driver BMW car, and was saying how much nicer a car it was with the runflats off. But question still in my mind is are runflats potentially safer if you have a puncture at speed on the motorway or autobahn?

c6_pete

Regular user
I understood that the key difference between RF and non-RF tyres was that the side walls are reinforced with RF - so, if the tyre fails (e.g. delaminates or has a rupture) on the contact rubber, the damage is the same to the tyre, but the car and wheel will likely see less damage - the sidewalls should remain in place and provide the rigidity to carry on driving if you slow down? If the tyres goes because of a pothole though, I don't know if the sidewall integrity would be maintained - speed and depth of hole dependent? Personally, from 3 years of running the Goodyear F1 RFs vs. 7 years of the Michelin non-RF PS2s, I'd take the Michelins any day.

Worth also noting that officially you can't repair a run flat tyre, but you can a non-run flat.

Seahawk 80

Regular user
I understand that "blow outs" are common on HGV vehicles,I've had one myself but I've been driving cars and motorcycles many years as well and never had anything remotely as dramatic happen,I've had a screw through the very edge/shoulder of a tire and drove it without any issues on regular radials,it's a risk I'm more than willing to take as an alternative to driving around on retro technology wooden tires that shake and jolt the car and driver to pieces on the remote chance that they may save the wheel rim and get me home if I'm 50 miles from home at 50 mph max.There's plenty of good videos about the subject on YouTube from people with engineering backgrounds and knowledge.

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
Worth also noting that officially you can't repair a run flat tyre, but you can a non-run flat.

Well yes, but if you have used a can of foam sealant etc, chances are garage wont be prepared to clean it out then repair puncture, they want to sell you a new tyre?

Seahawk 80

Regular user
The only time you have any chance of getting a tire repaired is if you were stationery when it went down,any hint that the vehicle was in motion when it deflated and the tire shop will just say it's been run flat and refuse to repair it,to cover their arse and conveniently to sell you a new tire but as we said,run flat tires are non repairable regardless.

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
Can of course have a "slow puncture" (maybe identified by the TPMS) and a "friendly"/trusted tyre shop/garage?

Vettemike09

Committee Member
In the end I went with Michelin's recommended RF's. Why? because I was lucky enough to meet the man who designs the tyres for the race and road cars at Michelin and these were the OEM on my year C6. he sent me the recommended tyre chart for my car as a reference point. Crazily, Michelin Europe has not released the Sport 4 and Sport 4S tyres in both sizes required for the car. They have released one size for either tyre spec and Michelin don't recommend you mix them...... The RF's have been on the car since the week before Le Mans and I have driven there and back with them plus some local events in the UK. The noise from the tyres is well below acceptable and the performance of the types has yet to be tested in anger but feel great so far.