8-page 1981 Corvette brochure with specs.

kentvette

CCCUK Member
Corvettes from this era (late 70's to the 1984) always seem to get a hard time, from both Corvette and non-Corvette press, but I still reckon they are pretty nice cars. GM had to deal with a whol lot of legislation back then and I think they did a good job of re-positioning Corvettes around it all. I get particualry annoyed at the constant carping about the soft bumpers. Yet, if one looks at some of the 73 concepts, they didn't have chrome bumpers. To me they, and the "fastback" rear window were the culmination of a design idea born years before. And, compared to the abominations that MGs, Porsches, Jaguars etc got saddled with, the Corvette is wonderful.

An iteresting line in this catalogue is in the Optional Extras - a rear rack for the T-Tops. Did Chevy actually ever offer such a thing on a "fastback" window car?

Rich

Administrator
1981 was my first Corvette. Bought it in 1990 whilst on holiday in Los Angeles. Shipped it over. Joined the club. Used the CCCUK article on how to change the lights written by Mr Irons/kentvette himself (and I still owe you a beer for that, Steve!!). Used to squeeze our two young daughters in the back (don't ask) and off we'd go as a family of four. Happy days......................

Kept it a few years and sold it to a CCCUK Committee Member who still has it.

Last edited:

67HEAVEN

Well-known user
An iteresting line in this catalogue is in the Optional Extras - a rear rack for the T-Tops. Did Chevy actually ever offer such a thing on a "fastback" window car?

You bet they did, Stephen. RPO code V54 on the order sheet got you this Roof Panel Carrier.
1980-1982ChevroletCorvette-V54-roof-panel-carrier.jpg

RPO V54
1980 $125 Number ordered - 3,755
1981 $135 Number ordered - 3,303
1982 $144 Number ordered - 1,992

1980-1982ChevroletCorvette-V54-roof-panel-carrier-empty.jpg

1980-1982ChevroletCorvette-V54-roof-panel-carrier-full.jpg

Last edited:

kentvette

CCCUK Member
You bet they did, Stephen. RPO code V54 on the order sheet got you this Roof Panel Carrier.
View attachment 1639

RPO V54
1980 $125 Number ordered - 3,755
1981 $135 Number ordered - 3,303
1982 $144 Number ordered - 1,992

View attachment 1640

View attachment 1641

Well, fancy! I've never seen that before and, I've even seen people asking and/or wondering why Chevy never made one.

As the wonderful Jim Mcoll says, "Every day is a school day"!

It would make a bit of an ugly mess of your deck-lid though......

67HEAVEN

Well-known user
It would make a bit of an ugly mess of your deck-lid though......

Actually, when not mounted on the rear deck, the only evidence of the rack is the existence of four small black plastic 1" diameter circles that everything mounts to.

1980-1982ChevroletCorvette-V54-roof-panel-carrier-showing-mounting-points.jpg