Any Clapton Fans Here?

N

Norm

I'm sure they're are. The Super Bowl just doesn't appeal to me anymore, or any other professional sports for that matter, for personal reasons I won't get in to.

On cable opposite the SB, Clapton's Crossroads 2013 was on, all 4.5 hours of it, have listened and watched the DVD many times, most of the songs are on my thumb drive in the Z. If you like guitars, that's the motherload there.

Andy Fairweather Low's "Gin House Blues", I can listen to all day long..........:cool:

Crossroads Guitar Festival - Wikipedia

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Yeah ! BIG fan of ole `Slowhand` (y) . My era from the hazy crazy `60`s . Sunshine of Your Love , White Room , etc . Disraeli Gears was the first ever album I bought , far out man :cool:
I was at the free Hyde Park concert in London when he formed Blind Faith , the first ever `Super Group ` after Cream split and then years later saw him at the Royal Albert Hall with Andy Fairweather - Lowe in the band . Who would have thought that Fairweather who was`60`s teeny bopper idol in the group Amen Corner would become such a blues player in his own right .

Roscobbc

Taking nothing away from Clapton - he is good, very good - but there are others who are equally as good but with differing personal styles - Carlos Santana, Billy Gibbons, Joe Bonnamassa (although he has drifted away from hard blues and rock) ~
People rate Jeff Beck (tbh I don't see it) - Hendrix always amazes me when I listen......so gifted) current fave is listening to early rough blues from Cactus ~
The late Micky Jones of 70's welsh band Man is another current fave listen ~
The very late and much missed Frank Zappa's touch on guitar takes a lot of beating ~
And there are so many others.........

N

Norm

Plenty of excellent guitar players around, then and now. Early on, I wasn't a big fan of Clapton due to his drug addled days, and that life style. Never kept up with his career much until he started going more diversified in mainstream rock, his collaboration with J.J. Cale and others, leaning a bit to rhythm & blues and solid ballads. I believe after he lost his son, he had a completely different outlook about life, dedicated family man, helping other musicians with their demons, and generally promoting his music career for the benefit of others.

I do admire his effort to keep the Crossroads endeavor going, it takes some doing to put that together.

kentvette

CCCUK Member
Recently there was a TV "Autobiography" of Eric on TV. A LOT of stuff I didn't know about his early life, and his artistic talents. I wasn't so much of a fan in the "Cream Era", but drifted into him, like Norm, when he took some of JJ Cale's stuff (I'm a huge JJ Cale fan) We ended up seeing Clapton about a dozen times when he used to do the Albert Hall dates, going twice a year sometimes. The Crossroads gigs are pretty special. For me, one his best albums is "From The Cradle".

I was recently re-aquainted with The Alman Brothers When June bought me a Live album. Wow. As I can't stand Top Gear I'd forgotten that they use Jessica as the theme tune - I rember that from Johnny Walker's days on Calroline etc, but their other stuff is excellent.

We passed up teh opportunity to see Joe Bonamassa in Tours last year - big mistake!

Roscobbc

I was always transfixed by Cream's Jack Bruce's performances. His voice on earlier recording was hypnotic - his controversial album Songs for a Tailor was was ahead of anything else from the day.

N

Norm

On PBS (Public Broadcasting Stations) last night, just happen to catch Knopfler, Clapton, Collins, Sting, McCartney, et al, in the 1997 "Music For Montserrat" at Albert Hall. It's always a treat to see so many talented musicians together in one place.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Taking nothing away from Clapton - he is good, very good - but there are others who are equally as good but with differing personal styles - Carlos Santana, Billy Gibbons, Joe Bonnamassa (although he has drifted away from hard blues and rock) ~
People rate Jeff Beck (tbh I don't see it) - Hendrix always amazes me when I listen......so gifted) current fave is listening to early rough blues from Cactus ~
The late Micky Jones of 70's welsh band Man is another current fave listen ~
The very late and much missed Frank Zappa's touch on guitar takes a lot of beating ~
And there are so many others.........

Tend to agree about Joe Bonnassa , I really did rate him and was blown away by seeing him live but I personally think that some of his stuff has become a bit self indulgant with solos going on so long you forget what day it is !
For Blues / Rock with more of an edge to I much prefer Kenny Wayne Shepherd , he has made some terrific albums and for all you Hendrix fans ( me included ) he has taken some great Hendrix numbers and given them his own treatment .
I have got Billy Gibbons last album and although I do like my Blues very traditional too as well as rocky , I would never put Gibbons in the same class as many others mentioned on this thread . More the sort of thing to be enjoyed in a smoky club and several beers :cool:

Roscobbc

You're correct about Gibbons - too formulaic - will never go to a ZZ Topp concert any more - each one is identical - like listening to a disc or record