Any Doc Martin Fans?

N

Norm

The Mrs. and I love that show. Actors are good, scenery is great. We like all the characters except PC Penhale, to me, it's embarrassing to watch him, just to damn stupid for that role. I know it's a comedy, but that character is too far out, I can see some levity, but I think the writers go just a bit beyond what the character is suppose to represent, IMO.

Does the Port Isaac location look as good as it does on the tube? The narrow roads out that way, that would be a whole new way of driving for me.

Unfortunately, there is almost a two year lag between viewing seasons before we get a chance to see over here.

Rich

Administrator
When we visited, we parked the car on the beach but I have to admit that I was a little anxious that the tide would come in but the locals know what to expect. A lovely place.

kentvette

CCCUK Member
Hi Norm. I think its probably actually nicer "in the flesh". We used to holiday in Cornwall on a regular basis, and in fact planned to move there, having a deposit on a house many years ago. Circumstances intervened, but we really thought of it as our second home. We used to rent a holiday cottage just a few miles from Port Isaac for some years, but if I'm honest I prefer the scenery a little further west, out beyond Penzance, towards Sennen.

I've never been brave enough to park on the beach! In fact, we rarely drove in, parking outside and walking.

This chap posts regular photos from the area of Cornwall around Port Isaac and Newquay and I always keep an eye on his site:
Cornwall CAM - Periodically updated photographs & a weather report

Redlevel

Well-known user
We been there a few times. There's a carpark at the top and a pleasant walk down to the harbour and up to the Docs house. It is exactly like the tv apart from different uses of some buildings.
Anyone seen the WW2 Naval gun still mounted behind the pub?
My tea coaster at home here is a slate off the roof of the surgery.
Its a lovely place, well worth a visit..20150902_170419.jpg

Redlevel

Well-known user
If anyone fancies an interesting village harbour to visit, try Clovelly, slightly north of Port Issac in Devon, but make sure you pack your heart pills and defibrillator for the walk (stagger, climb, crawl even) to and from the harbour!

I kid you not!! 🤤

N

Norm

Thanks for the comments guys. I believe I may have watched every episode shown here, but I don't remember ever seeing that gun emplacement.

Redlevel

Well-known user
Here's the 4" gun from seaward side. Its at the back of the pub at the end of the beer garden.

Almost definitely a Royal Navy 4 inch Mk IX gun dating from WW1 period and commonly used on WW2 Corvettes, Merchant Ships and coastal defence. Made by Vickers probably. Apparently salvaged off a collier 'Milly' sunk by a U Boat in September 1918 off Tintagel. It should be maintained and in memory to the two crewmen who died in the attack.

naval gun.jpg

Another view of it pointing at the Doc's house up the hill..

4972509_7c3c45d4_1024x1024.jpg

Last edited:

Redlevel

Well-known user
Last edited:
N

Norm

Thanks for the pic and write-up. I could see where some folks would get cranky over filming, but what a boom to the town.

N

Norm

Norm, if your interested, have a read of this link, (apologies if you are already aware of this) and if you haven't already done so, try and acquire a book called 'The Forgotten Dead'. One man's quest to raise awareness of the hundreds of American servicemen who lost their lives that night.

D-Day rehearsal that cost 800 lives

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Forgotten-Dead-Anniversary-Servicemen-Discovered/dp/0747575436

I did see a docudrama sometime back of that fiasco. Most likely there are more screw-ups the allies did that have not come to surface as yet.

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Norm, if your interested, have a read of this link, (apologies if you are already aware of this) and if you haven't already done so, try and acquire a book called 'The Forgotten Dead'. One man's quest to raise awareness of the hundreds of American servicemen who lost their lives that night.
I've been to the memorial quite a few times now. Lovely beach area and always say hi to the tank. A tragic tale of lost life.

As for Cornwall Norm - deffo get to visit. My folks live down there near Hayle and I was brought up down there. Often down there using their house as a hotel and seeing the beautiful sights of Cornwall. Recently I went to Botallack, which is where they film some of the outdoor/ mining scenes of the new Poldark series.

N

Norm

Thanks guys for the info. I would really like to visit, but I'm afraid my long distance travelling, especially flying, are over.