C3 Rear light wiring modification

Viper

Regular user
Hi all,

Does anyone have a diagram for adapting the rear lights to make them legal for UK road use?
Im sure i saw somewhere about making the reverse lights into indicators or something around those lines?

Many thanks

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
My C3 has passed its last three MOT`s since I purchased it with its original USA spec rear lights / indicators and it has never been an issue . But I use a garage that knows and understands classic American cars ;) Also your C3 is either already 40 years old or soon will be and won`t need an MOT . If that`s the case just maintain it well , keep it in a safe and roadworthy condition and check it over at regular intervals . (y)

Rich

Administrator
There was a technical bulletin on the old website written by Kentvette but it's no longer available for download. He'll be along soon...................

Rich

Administrator
Johng has very kindly posted the technical bulletin. This can now be found in the Members Only forum.

kentvette

CCCUK Member
Sorry I missed this - we were away for a few days!
But I gather that the Tech Doc is now on this site.
The info for the rear lights remains good, but I have moved on a little with regard to the front side-markers. I have now taken them out of the lighting circuit and added them into the indicators, with a fairly low wattage bulb. They flash in unison with the indicators and, as there is a tad more resistance, at the "approved" speed for UK/Europe (US indicators flash a little too slowly).

Nick B

CCCUK Member
Hi all,

Does anyone have a diagram for adapting the rear lights to make them legal for UK road use?
Im sure i saw somewhere about making the reverse lights into indicators or something around those lines?

Many thanks

If you are doing this modification yourself I would be very interested to know how you got on with it.
Regards
Nick.

hurtzcsa

CCCUK Member
sorry haven`t got the diagram but here photo`s of the brake lights and hazard /indicator lights . I used the reverse lights as indicators . moved the reverse light down to the left hand side of the number plate using an led strip and wired in a fog light on an led strip on the right hand side of the number plate. i`ve since found out there is an led bulb and bulb holder that is bright white on day light/reverse and flashes orange on indicator might change them to this set up on the reverse lights .here`s how my rear lights look

Attachments

• SAM_5125.JPG
    SAM_5125.JPG
    320.9 KB · Views: 17
  • SAM_5127.JPG
    SAM_5127.JPG
    297.1 KB · Views: 17
  • SAM_5128.JPG
    SAM_5128.JPG
    311.1 KB · Views: 14
  • SAM_5130.JPG
    SAM_5130.JPG
    313.7 KB · Views: 14

hurtzcsa

CCCUK Member
I`ll have a look Saturday at my rear lights and let you know what colours do what on the rear lights

kentvette

CCCUK Member
sorry haven`t got the diagram but here photo`s of the brake lights and hazard /indicator lights . I used the reverse lights as indicators . moved the reverse light down to the left hand side of the number plate using an led strip and wired in a fog light on an led strip on the right hand side of the number plate. i`ve since found out there is an led bulb and bulb holder that is bright white on day light/reverse and flashes orange on indicator might change them to this set up on the reverse lights .here`s how my rear lights look

Your current set-up is in line with the modification Tech Document, now posted in the Members Only section.

If you do go down the LED route you'll need to add resistors so that the indicators actually flash, as the LED do not offer enough resistance themselves. However, I believe that you'd need to change the bulb holders in the inner lights to the same type as on the outside, and that can be expensive. I like teh concept, but couldn't justify that extra cost now, after 29 years of having them as they are!