C4 at Brooklands auction

Z28DUNC

Busy user
Ref 166 1998 Chevrolet Corvette C4

So its a 1993 car and the MOT has run out after doing a reg check, doesn't look like its moved much in the last few years either.

I'm currently looking for a manual LT1/4 C4 so this would fit the bill but I've never looked at auctions before so don't know the ins and outs.

Can anyone give me some pointers on the car and/or auctions?

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
Interesting one that. Yes, looks like a 1993 LT1, with the 40th Anniversary embossed logo seats. Obviously not built in 1998 (C5 time) and I am confused as to why it has an "R" reg (March 1997 to Feb 1998). Maybe that's why they are wrongly describing it as a 1998? I thought DVLA still registered imports with a plate reflecting the actual year of manufacture (1993)/wouldn't give it a later year plate. V5 should have told them the year of manufacture, if that's correct?

I am also wondering why it has the additional/add-on orange side repeaters (not needed?)? As it's first registered in UK Nov 2018, suspect its perhaps a traders car in from the US or Japan? (It's got a Japanese looking exhaust ;)) I would want to see a CARFAX report to ensure its not a salvage/write off car in the States. If its first registered/MoTd in the UK in Nov 2018, how can the MoT have expired? Says in ad it has current MOT.

I have only attended a viewing day at one of their auctions and, as I remember, the documentation they have for the car is available for inspection then. If still interested, I would phone them up and ask the questions on the available documents, including the CARFAX? Obviously you could do the CARFAX yourself with the VIN number. Does that help?

Last edited:

Z28DUNC

Busy user
The mot history goes back to 2015. So they've got that wrong. It's not just been registered.

Bit of a bizarre one. Your probably right about getting a Carfax on it.

It was up for sale before but withdrawn .... Ref 122 1998 Corvette C4

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
Don't understand what "It's not just been registered" means? So MoT history tells you little mileage since 2015? Wouldn't be surprised if you could get that for £3 or £4k?

Mick Howes

CCCUK Member
That's one odd looking exhaust, and no airbag steering wheel? Also looks like there's a few paint issues front end, look around the headlamps and the bumper/hood area, that looks like chipping/flaking paint. For me there's too many unknowns and inconsistencies here, personally I wouldn't touch it!

Z28DUNC

Busy user
Hi Mick, yeah I think its not it the best of conditions. I doubt I will bid on it as I can afford a decent C4. Its just finding a manual one without silly miles.

If it was up for sale closer and on ebay or such like I might have taken a look.

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
Well its obviously not a mint show winner, and you wouldn't buy it (even at £3/4k) to spend/waste money on it trying to make it look like one. If you can afford/want a "decent" one, obviously buying another better one is the way to go.

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
Didn't sell
This one did:

Last edited:

Z28DUNC

Busy user
Just been on the website and it says sold for £4144?

Wonder if we'll see it come back up for sale at a much higher price soon?

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
So I was £144 out! And I thought I knew my Vette prices. But there you go, you live & learn.... ;)

Didn't have a sale price on it when I looked on their website (others did), so assumed it had not sold. Guy bought a (Polo?) green C4 ZR1 at their auctions a while back. Was on here looking for advice on how to fit a new DeWitt radiator he had bought for it. He got the advice/help, but don't think he has been on here since?
Yes, lets watch out for that one.

Z28DUNC

Busy user
Yes I know the bloke your on about. Pretty sure he managed to fit it and cured the cooling problem, I might have read about it on Pistonheads.
Mmm, I'd love a ZR1!