Club Privacy Policy and GDPR notice - March 19

WacJac

New user
Having received my invitation to renew my membership for the 19/20 membership year, courtesy of Membermojo (what a superb system that is!!), I naturally took time to review the above mentioned documents that require my acceptance before permitting me to continue through the renewal process.

The following wording particularly caught my attention and made me stop and think....
….Personal data will also be made available as and when necessary to our Committee Members, Regional Representatives, Committee Support staff and authorised subcontractors within the execution of their roles, responsibilities and contracts where applicable.

I have no qualm about giving my consent for "our Committee Members, Regional Representatives, Committee Support staff" to have access to my personal information (name, address, email address, contact telephone number) but unnamed "authorised subcontractors".....hmmmm that may be a different matter.

Can the Club's Data Protection Officer advise who the "authorised subcontractors" are and under what terms are they engaged by the Club and specifically define what personal information of mine would they have access to?

J
Proudly driving a BMW

N

Norm

I can understand your concern, but you can do an internet search, visit public government sites, and if you dig hard enough, your name, address, email address, contact telephone number can be had. There are scam entities in namely eastern European countries have more info on you than you think.

Just secure your more sensitive info like CC#'s, bank & finance info, and passwords.

You may be able to disable any notifications by checking your profile preferences.

Roscobbc

Having received my invitation to renew my membership for the 19/20 membership year, courtesy of Membermojo (what a superb system that is!!), I naturally took time to review the above mentioned documents that require my acceptance before permitting me to continue through the renewal process.

The following wording particularly caught my attention and made me stop and think....
….Personal data will also be made available as and when necessary to our Committee Members, Regional Representatives, Committee Support staff and authorised subcontractors within the execution of their roles, responsibilities and contracts where applicable.

I have no qualm about giving my consent for "our Committee Members, Regional Representatives, Committee Support staff" to have access to my personal information (name, address, email address, contact telephone number) but unnamed "authorised subcontractors".....hmmmm that may be a different matter.

Can the Club's Data Protection Officer advise who the "authorised subcontractors" are and under what terms are they engaged by the Club and specifically define what personal information of mine would they have access to?

J
Proudly driving a BMW

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Good evening J - as ex-joint membership secretary you will be aware of the changes that needed to be made to the CCCUK's GDPR document and the reasons for the changes - after all it was you who actually alerted the committee to the shortcomings in the previous document!

The changes to the club's GDPR document were made to include 'Committee Support Staff' such as Ben Harvey (who as you will know designed and operates our website and forum) and Simon Stevens (who helps with the website and FB pages). At the same time, and to avoid future changes to the document, the "Authorised Subcontractors" to which you refer were added. At the moment this covers the printers (who handle address labels) and the company who manufacture and supply the membership cards. I can assure you that the Committee will ensure that all Member's data is carefully protected at all times.

I trust that this has answered your question.

kentvette

CCCUK Member
Thanks for the detail Ross. I don't get too hung up about that sort of thing, as Norm says, in the days of the Anti-Social-Network way too much info can be found on anyone. But, it's good to see the explanation which is, of course, perfectly reasonable.

J, "proudly driving a BMW"?? On the CCCUK site!. Now that IS a cause for concern

Rich

Administrator
For the benefit of anyone who may be concerned, this is the information supplied to the two companies outside of the CCCUK Management:

VETTE NEWS PRINTERS receive a batch of pre-printed address labels only in order to send out the magazines. These are printed by the Membership Secretary and vary from issue to issue depending on who is eligible to receive Vette News.

MEMBERSHIP CARDS PRINTER receives their information securely from Membermojo with sufficient information for them to print your membership card and the relevant letter for new or renewed memberships. These are sent to the member with windscreen sticker etc. The membership data file used to print these items is wiped from their download within 30 days. The print ribbons used for printing the cards are shredded. The PCs hard drives are all encrypted and password protected.

I don't feel we can do any more........................

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
Oh and do not forget the postman is going to deliver your Vette News - he too will be given access to your name and address.

GDPR is a European directive to protect people's personal details - it is a joke for anyone using the internet regarding name, geo address, telephone number and email address (and sometimes card details if the correct protocols are not in place) - these factors are a given, and other than the card details, your name and address /info is given to the carrier to deliver your goods and to email or text you of the pending arrival of your delivery.

GDPR if practiced correctly reduces the ease in which a hacker can get your personal profile /details from a data bank due to encryption and financial protocols.

But the hackers get better at what they do, it is your financial info that you most certainly need to keep close to your heart and one needs to think about the further exposure one offers with Internet Banking and payment via your phone.

Both the FbI Senate website has been hacked along with the US Military.

GDPR does nothing to protect your geo or email address from Spammers, Scammers and fraudsters as they are not exercising GDPR.

But now your hairdresser will need your explicit documented authority as per GDPR to be able to text or email you about your forthcoming appointment.

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Due to my work, I've been on some hacker / security courses where they teach us how to hack so we can come up with ways to prevent it.

Now I've seen that all happen, I just take reasonably precaution with my personal data and not worry about it - mostly because despite what we do, if someone is determined enough it'd be very easy to get your details. So I suspect a lot of government and other countries probably do have my (and others) details and I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
So just in summary/worth mentioning (?)/am I right to say (?) the only "personal data' the 2 companies receive are the member's name and address and membership number?

curious bystander

CCCUK Member
And the only data that the Corvette Club holds on any of our members is: Name, Address, Age (if given), Occupation (if given) E mail address (if given), telephone number (if given) and details of your Corvettes (if given)

Financial details - ABSOLUTELY NONE - even when you pay by credit/debit card, because the payment goes to a PayPal account which is completely hidden from anyone in the Club

As GDPR Officer I can assure all Members that there is nothing to concern yourselves about when it comes to your personal data - it's safe with us

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
Thanks guys, thought I would respond to this again, just to keep it in the "What's New" list for a little while more. Renewed my subscription for the 30th time the other day. So 30 years as a "total couch potato" member of the CCCUK/Vette owner. Only mention that to thank you, and previous (unpaid) Committee members/membership secretaries etc for all the good work. Thanks!