GM will make a major announcement on Thursday, April 25

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
BOWLING GREEN, Ky. (WBKO) -- General Motors will make a major announcement on Thursday, April 25.

The announcement is in regards to the Corvette Assembly Plant.

Details are limited at this time, but General Motors Co. Chairman and CEO Mary Barra will be joined by the Executive Vice President of Global manufacturing Gerald Johnson, United Workers Vice President Terry Dites and federal, state and local officials for the announcement.

13 News will cover the event and will have the latest details as they are released.

Rumor is a second shift will be added, maybe to also build another car on the same assembly line ?

Rich

Administrator
Some of our members are there at the moment. Hopefully we'll get the news first hand.

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
You are probably right. Called into a Honda garage the other day to find a new model Honda NSX sitting in the showroom. Realised that's the first one I have ever seen "in the metal," and obviously never seen one on the road.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
General Motors Co. Chairman and CEO Mary Barra announced Thursday a second shift will be added at the Bowling Green Assembly Plant, adding more than 400 jobs to the Bowling Green Assembly Plant.
This will support production of the next generation of Corvette, which will be revealed on July 18, 2019.
The new jobs will push the plant's total employment beyond 1,300.

According to the Bowling Green Area Chamber of Commerce, since 2011, GM has invested more than $900 million into Bowling Green and the Bowling Green Assembly plant has produced more than one million Corvettes since it opened in 1981.

Barra was joined by the Executive Vice President of Global manufacturing Gerald Johnson and United Workers Vice President Terry Dites
Several federal, state, and local dignitaries were in attendance including U.S. Senator Rand Paul, U.S. Rep. Brett Guthrie, Bowling Green mayor Bruce Wilkerson, Governor Matt Bevin, State Representatives Michael Meredith and Patti Minter, Judge Executive Mike Buchanon, and Bowling Green City Commissioner Sue Parrigin.

"The Corvette's iconic status owes so much to the men and women of Bowling Green, where it has been built exclusively for almost 40 years," said GM Chairman and CEO Mary Barra.
"This is the workforce that can deliver a next generation Corvette worthy of both its historic past and an equally exciting future, and today's announcement gets us one step closer to its reveal on July 18."

I often speak about how we are the engineering and manufacturing hub of America.
Today, we're wearing that title more boldly than ever," Gov. Bevin said. "These new workers, together the plant's current employees, will not only build the iconic Corvette and carry forward the nearly 40-year marriage between Corvette and Kentucky, but will also be members of the team that launches the technical tour-de-force, eighth-generation car off the production line and onto the global stage.
Our Commonwealth is incredibly proud to be the home of the Corvette.

We are grateful to Mary Barra and GM for the relationship we share, and for this strong vote of confidence in Kentucky's future."
"The General Motors Corvette Assembly Plant in Bowling Green is a tremendous asset to the region," said Bowling Green Area Chamber of Commerce President and CEO Ron Bunch.
"They are an integral part of our commonwealth's thriving economy, we are excited about the job growth and look forward to their many more years of success in our community."
"The Corvette has been a major symbol of Bowling Green's heritage," said Bowling Green Mayor Bruce Wilkerson.
"We are very excited about this announcement and the number of jobs GM is creating.
I am so proud to be a part of such a growing local economy; GM has been an integral part of our success over the years."

"Job creation of this magnitude by a company like GM is a significant investment in the future of the people of Warren County," said Warren County Judge-Executive Mike Buchanon.

"The General Motors Assembly plant has been in our business community since 1981, and job growth of this size doesn't come around often.
I am excited to see the impact it will have in Warren County in the years to come."C8NCM.jpg

Last edited:

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
So what, if anything, can we guess/conclude from this announcement of the increased workforce/shifts. They are going to be making more C8s than the outgoing C7? Launching it onto "the global stage." Does that mean they are going to be selling it in more places than they do the C7? Think I read that Cadillac sales are booming in China, and they are manufactured there through a joint venture. According to this, Cadillac sales strategy is concentrating on the home market and the "East". Maybe some of those C8s are headed for sale in the East (China?)?

GM Wants To Double Cadillac Sales By 2021 With The Aid Of Crossovers And China

Last edited:

Roscobbc

As much as Cadillac division of GM and Corvette division of GM may want to be selling more vehicles in China, Europe and other countries Trumps latest rant and embargo's on imports, the tit for tat response from affected countries, and further embargo's on US manufacturers (like HD, who looking to circumvent the embargo's set-up manufacturing plants in the respective counties) life isn't likely to get any easier for GM on the 'international stage'.
Anyone notice a week or two ago in the UK weekend broadsheets a large advert for Ford? - not Ford cars or commercials - Ford Money - financial services!
We've already seen statements last year from GM in the 'States stating that they expect to pull out of domestic sedan production in the USA - seemingly there's no future or money in it for GM any more - they plan to concentrate on light trucks and commercials (which sell in far larger numbers in the USA than domestic sedans) - presumably Corvette will still be a money maker fro them?

UKBeancounter

Committee Member
I think what we can guess from this, because the dealerships already seem to know, is they will continue production of the C7 in “some format” for another 2 years.
Maybe at the end of which they will realise mid engine is a horrible idea.

kentvette

CCCUK Member
I think what we can guess from this, because the dealerships already seem to know, is they will continue production of the C7 in “some format” for another 2 years.

That's the first I have heard of the C7 and C8 being built in tandem. It's the obvious solution of course, which will undoubtedly identify the lack of need for a mE car. But I've not heard any mention for GM....

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
I had read that before, but thought it was now a no goer. Here is Rick Corvette Conti, of Coughlin Corvette in Ohio, giving his take on the C8 2020 event attended. Look at 22.53 in. Per Rick, GM weren't giving anything away about the period of overlap of C7 and C8 production. What are the new workers/shifts for? Rick is wondering if its for the production of (wait for it) a RHD version?!!! :p

Rick Corvette Conti

Roscobbc

I would imagine quite a few people back in the day were horrified about the 'normalisation' of front wheel drive vehicles (and still are!) for me the only saving grace of front wheel drive is that it makes the subsequent (and logical) adoption of four wheel drive a simpler thing to engineer. Mid engine is certainly the way to go if we want an even better handling balance for the Corvette - and without all that engine and transmission up front it leaves some room for engineering a RHD version.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
The front end free space is needed when the electric front wheel is added for the E-Vette migration as the required 45 MPG
USA EPA mandate within 4 years and help increase HP/Tq for the dual turbo ZORO model using smaller V6 engines

BTW, anyone know as to amount of countries that have RHD over LHD ?

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Thanks for the URL Link

Interesting as the reasons why the choice of which side of the road to drive on
but I would think being most of Europe uses right lane that UK would have followed suit
unless their way to prevent vehicles like from USA being sold there in mass ?

Last edited:

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
The front end free space is needed when the electric front wheel is added for the E-Vette migration as the required 45 MPG
USA EPA mandate within 4 years and help increase HP/Tq for the dual turbo ZORO model using smaller V6 engines

So are way saying there will be a Hybrid (plug-in or not) C8 on the way? Is so, great/like it. Why do we still drive on the left in the UK? Good question. But, as you might know, Ford sell a RHD Mustang in the UK and Australia (not sure about Japan), potentially the three biggest RHD markets. The RHD Stangs, at least up to the 2018 model year, were built without crash protection features found on US spec cars, and hence failed miserably in the European NCAP safety/crash testing. But that's another story.

The one thing/statistic I want to know about the C8, is how wide it is? If its Ferrari 458 wide, then that would be OK for our narrow UK roads. If it's Lambo Aventador/aircraft carrier wide, not so good. See in the photos, that the top corner of the rear air ducts appears to be built into the door (?)

Last edited:

Roscobbc

Probably not so much the current RHD markets (UK, Australia, New Zealand, Japan etc etc etc) but more the emerging markets like the Indian sub continent, Sri Lanka, Africa and southern Asian countries.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
So are way saying there will be a Hybrid (plug-in or not) C8 on the way? Is so, great/like it. Why do we still drive on the left in the UK? Good question. But, as you might know, Ford sell a RHD Mustang in the UK and Australia (not sure about Japan), potentially the three biggest RHD markets. The RHD Stangs, at least up to the 2018 model year, were built without crash protection features found on US spec cars, and hence failed miserably in the European NCAP safety/crash testing. But that's another story.

The one thing/statistic I want to know about the C8, is how wide it is? If its Ferrari 458 wide, then that would be OK for our narrow UK roads. If it's Lambo Aventador/aircraft carrier wide, not so good. See in the photos, that the top corner of the rear air ducts appears to be built into the door (?)

Rumor has it GM has been testing electric motors off front wheels and reason this time they agreed to finally do the mid engine design
to free up the front space.

Looking as C5, C6, C7s width has stayed about 74 inches so have to see in July what C8 will be

cmpspecs.jpg