Good bye '72

kentvette

CCCUK Member
Spent the weekend neglecting everything else to work on the mellow yellow but managed to meet up with some Manchester Car Show Veterans for a day out and beers. Last year I purchased a portable car lift so dragged it 'out back' raised the car up and got down & dirty pressure washing all the crud off. Degreased the engine bay and hosed that down covering the intake of course. Vacuumed the inside and then cleaned the paint. Removed the rocker covers and fitted some cleaner spares I have so I can polish up the originals and refit. Rerouted some vacuum tubes and wires for a cleaner look. Removed and cleaned the rear light lenses. Removed and started sand blasting the front grilles to see if they can be salvaged as very expensive to replace. Replaced some blown lamps and checked all chrome items to see what can be saved or refurbished. Reached out to two known quality painters only to be told there's more money in quick collision repairs so they're no longer doing full resprays.

Blimey! That's come up nicely! Some people would be happy to have an engine that smart after a restoration:)

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
Blimey! That's come up nicely! Some people would be happy to have an engine that smart after a restoration:)

Thanks Stephen but my goal is to match or better the red LT-1. Several parts missing but so far managing to find most if not all. And I'm still coming to France ok

20180331_143803_resized_2.jpgI'm

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
I have a picture of my Vette on one of those scissor lifts too - the garage that was doing the slow burn work on it used it to work on my Vette in their "project corner".

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
Pushing on and got most parts back from chrome & plating. I delivered some 200+ nuts, bolts, washers, split washers, screws in ziplock bags and got them all back in one box mixed up. Sorting through that lot was fun but at least all the bolts have different head stamps so that helped.

Attachments

• 20190515_185509_resized_1.jpg
    20190515_185509_resized_1.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 5

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
An update is long overdue so here we go! My plan was to try and get the car presentable and drivable to attend our big show in the north which is Stars & Stripes and always held around the start of July each year. It usually coincides with the Nationals but this year they were separated by a week so I was able to do both and had a fantastic time at the Nationals. Prep on the yellow car continued right through to Friday evening and a mate Simon helped out as he would be driving the red on to S&S on the Saturday and the wife used her considerable skills and patience to touch in the nose damage mentioned earlier where someone had run a bolt through the fibreglass too far from below and punctured the fibreglass.

And the car won best classic Corvette on Saturday.

Plan now is to go through the suspension and clean it underneath at a much more leisurely pace!

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
Some may have noticed the R registration which is 1978 and when this car was first imported to the UK. After this time the age related number plate system was adopted for imported cars and 1971 which this car is would be J. I went through the usual change of ownership process to get a V5 in my name and within the application stated my case to have the car reassigned to a J plate. I provided a copy of the original bill of sale from Harry Mann Chevrolet and I included photo's of the windshield pillar VIN number and also the engine pad stamp. In addition I did a tutorial on understanding the VIN and how they are decoded to further prove it was manufactured in '71. After some weeks had past and no reply I contacted the DVLA and was told they never received my application. Drat. Re-did the entire thing again and sent it recorded delivery this time. Some 4 weeks later I got a letter stating further proof was required that I was the new owner so no V5! Sat on it for a week then surprise! new V5 arrives but with the R registration still. No mention of my request to change. Ah well, I'll live with the R plate then.. had new black & silver plates made and taxed it so all good.

This morning a second V5 arrives less than 2 weeks since the first and hey ho, request accepted here's your new J plate number.

I should sue the DVLA for £35 for the second set of plates

To top it off my red one went clackety clack over the weekend and it's either piston, rod or springs in cyl 3

72stingraypaul

Well-known user
Some may have noticed the R registration which is 1978 and when this car was first imported to the UK. After this time the age related number plate system was adopted for imported cars and 1971 which this car is would be J. I went through the usual change of ownership process to get a V5 in my name and within the application stated my case to have the car reassigned to a J plate. I provided a copy of the original bill of sale from Harry Mann Chevrolet and I included photo's of the windshield pillar VIN number and also the engine pad stamp. In addition I did a tutorial on understanding the VIN and how they are decoded to further prove it was manufactured in '71. After some weeks had past and no reply I contacted the DVLA and was told they never received my application. Drat. Re-did the entire thing again and sent it recorded delivery this time. Some 4 weeks later I got a letter stating further proof was required that I was the new owner so no V5! Sat on it for a week then surprise! new V5 arrives but with the R registration still. No mention of my request to change. Ah well, I'll live with the R plate then.. had new black & silver plates made and taxed it so all good.

This morning a second V5 arrives less than 2 weeks since the first and hey ho, request accepted here's your new J plate number.

I should sue the DVLA for £35 for the second set of plates

To top it off my red one went clackety clack over the weekend and it's either piston, rod or springs in cyl 3
your yellow car looks lovely id love that bonnet on my 72
so sorry to hear about your red one hope its not a major job and can be fixed easily

72stingraypaul

Well-known user
at the nationals I mentioned about some ties that I could use on my luggage rack.
have you any idea where I could buy some from ??.
im looking forward to this weekend im doing both days at the Silverstone classic.

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
stumbled on another photo using the rear luggage rack for the tops that is more era correct for yours

Attachments

• img_3511_db25758d691ee3f84c9d319ef53da37e8f4c4197.png
    img_3511_db25758d691ee3f84c9d319ef53da37e8f4c4197.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 5