Has anyone in the UK, used a Superchips tuner

Robster

Busy user
Hi, thinking of a Superchips tuner for my 2000 C5 convertible, to put it onto 95 fuel. Has anyone tried one ?
Have a shift kit, induction and exhaust fitted, so should give a little more power too.

craigyboy

CCCUK Member
use a blackbear he will adjust tunes free of charge if you buy EFI live.. I used him for my C5 and C6 and he knows his stuff...... topcat performance will do a dyno tune but remember if the engine goes bang or if the straps break on a dyno they are not held responsible

Robster

Busy user
use a blackbear he will adjust tunes free of charge if you buy EFI live.. I used him for my C5 and C6 and he knows his stuff...... topcat performance will do a dyno tune but remember if the engine goes bang or if the straps break on a dyno they are not held responsible

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Hi All

JR here from west coast of USA.
In the mid 1990s when I was racing my ZR-1 Corvettes such as drag racing and best was Open Road Races where from 80 to 120 miles of a public road is rented and shut down to public. These races were done in Nevada and Texas.
Any ways due to different elevations, weather, types of fuels, etc I needed a way to be able to tune the then ECM where the calibration is burned into a E-prom that is plugged into the Memcal
At that time there really was no place to get a fully custom tune or even a good OBD-I scanner
Being I worked at a time for GM at the Tech Center in Warren Mi, I decided to do backward learning and engineering so I could burn my own custom tunes into E-proms and then plug in the one best for the race I was doing

Before long others asked me to tune their Corvettes in 1995 and then began doing custom tunes full time since

I bring this up only when it is mentioned to people asking what I would call "canned" cookie cutter tunes.
In most cases here in USA companies who sell canned tunes are scared the feds will sue them for making changes as to EPA and smog reasons.

Thus those tunes have minimum tune changes and 1 tune is done and then sent to customers all over the place
That means if their tune was done for cars living at sea-level are worse when living lets say at 5,000 feet above sea-level with same tune.
Or tune maybe best for cold weather but lousy when in 100 deg temps and worse in heat soak when racing.
Types of fuels also effect changes needed in tunes.

Meaning your really not doing the best with a canned tune, best is to work with a custom tuner that has you get a OBD scanner that works on a MS windows based laptop. The scanner should have a record mode that allows you to select what Parameters (PIDS) you want recorded such as
timing, injectors, knock, misfires, airmass, recorded torque, etc

Those recordings then are emailed to your custom tuner who then analyzes that data and now knows how to bias the custom tune not only as all above but also your driving style

Then you need to get a Tool that also works with your laptop and connects to the diag port (smog port) and the tool downloads the stock calibration which you also email to your tuner
He then if worth the beans will make custom changes to fix all of above and give you a good performance tune that hikes up the torque, horsepower, timing, reduce knock and misfire and a lot more.
Once you hace the 2 tools then of course if you know others local to you then those tools also can be used with their vehicle and working your your customer tuner guy.
And before ask, NO a chassis dyno is not needed, in fact with C5s and newer has a torque management function and can see what the numbers are as for HP and TQ

On the road data will get a far better results for proper tuning

Example a 2016 C7 Z06 I am working with and some of the data the PCM's on-board sensors reported via a good OBD scanner.

Attachments

• Ken16Z06-CS2.jpg
    Ken16Z06-CS2.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 3