Loose passenger seat.

clive f

Busy user
The passenger seat tends to move about half an inch backwards and forwards when braking and accelerating, its bolted down securely to the car but feels like there is some slack within the electric drive motor like a worm drive somewhere, has anyone else experienced this and how did you fix it?
to let the mrs feel safe I`ve pushed the seat forward to take up the slack and then let it slide back as far as it will go so that it takes up the slack and does`nt move.

kentvette

CCCUK Member
The passenger seat tends to move about half an inch backwards and forwards when braking and accelerating, its bolted down securely to the car but feels like there is some slack within the electric drive motor like a worm drive somewhere, has anyone else experienced this and how did you fix it?
to let the mrs feel safe I`ve pushed the seat forward to take up the slack and then let it slide back as far as it will go so that it takes up the slack and does`nt move.

If you can find the edition of Wheeler Dealers when they did a C5 Z06, the new bloke (who replaced Ed) covered this. There was a little bush/space on that worm drive (if I recall correctly). He managed to remove the worm drive (there was something about ensuring you mark exactly where it all was so it could be returned to teh right position) and then he popped ina new bush that he'd got for about $5. It took him no time at all, and it looked perfectly doable for anyone, unlike some of their fixes. I thought at the time I should save it... not that we have a C5, I just thought it might be useful. But, sorry, I didn't!

97BlackC5

CCCUK Member
Hi, as Stephen says, its a common issue with C5 seats, luckily it is also a cheap & simple fix (although doing the 1st seat takes a lot longer than the 2nd as you know what you are doing by the time it comes to doing the 2nd one).
I did mine a few years ago & I've attached a couple of links that you might find useful.

I think the first link talks about buying a seat repair 'kit' but in fact all you will need is a set of 8 (to do both seats) [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
nylon washers total. 3/4" OD, 7/16" ID, 1/8" thick . I bought mine off ebay for pennies. I then used a piece of sandpaper flat on the floor to sand them as required. It takes a bit of time but its worth it. I think I followed the Lieblweb link as I had it open on the ipad in the garage & I could scroll down the page keeping the picture I was working on open before moving to the next stage. The video gives you an over view of what to do, I just found being able to pause on each stage was easier.
[/FONT]

The most important point was getting the seat up & forward before removing as it makes it a hell of a lot easier to get everything back together.

Again as Stephen said there was a recent Wheeler Dealers on this fix but I still thing the lieblweb link on an ipad in the garage whilst you are doing the job is a whole lot easier to follow.

Good luck.