Removing gear console

Linda

CCCUK Member
Hi can anyone tell me where to start removing gear console. I’ve bought a new leather gear gater and can’t see any screws ?

Jimbo64

CCCUK Member
Hi can anyone tell me where to start removing gear console. I’ve bought a new leather gear gater and can’t see any screws ?
my 72 is an auto, but on looking at photos of other consoles, it would appear that a manual console is quite similar, so should have 4 screws, basically two at the top corners and two just above the Engine size and HP plaque. Removing them should allow the top plate to come away from the heater components/controls below and I would assume, that if your gearknob unscrews, then by taking that off too (probably before taking screws out) you should hopefully get access to the gater. I could be totally wrong and hopefully others can assist.

kentvette

CCCUK Member
I think yours is an 81? In that case, teh screws are located at the sides, under the carpeted sides of the centre tunnel. You'll need to remove those side first. They are held by screws that are located a) beside the seats, partially hidden, and b) towards teh front, in the footwell. I usually have to remove one seat as I can't access the screws without! Then you will see screws for the centre console at the sides and, I think, at the back. I believe you can lift it from teh back and it is not necessary to remove the gauge cluster.