Shall we begin?

67HEAVEN

Well-known user
The term 'L88' has been thrown around for decades, but there is still plenty to learn about these cars for most people...even the presenter in this video. He makes a few minor errors, but the message is clear - these are special cars.

Soon, we'll take a look, in much more detail.

67HEAVEN

Well-known user
What minor errors, you may well ask?
1. At the 1:50 point in the video, he starts talking about the differences that make the L88 (430hp) much more powerful than the L71 (435hp). He lists things like higher compression (true, 12.5:1 for the L88; 11.0:1 for the L71), but then mentions "solid lifters" as if they were exclusive to the L88. Not so. The L71 also had solid lifters.
2. He talks about an aluminium intake as if that also was exclusive to the L88. Wrong. Both had them.
3. Chevrolet rated the L88 at much lower rpms than they usually do for other engines (true). At the 4:05 point in the video, he states that the L88 was rated at 430hp @ 4,600 rpm. But then, at the 5:40 point, he states, "430hp at 5,300 rpm". Hmmmm. It can't be both. The actual 430hp rating for the L88 (and the later ZL1) was published, by Chevrolet, @ 5,200 rpm. By the way, the L71's 435hp rating was recorded at 5,800 rpm.
4. At the 6:03 point, he states that Chevrolet built 30 L88 Corvettes in 1967. The actual number is 20.
1967 - 20 (12.5:1 compression) (selling for up to US$3,500,000)
1968 - 80 (12.5:1 compression)
1969 -116 (12.0:1 compression)

The differences between the L71 and the L88 are not as deep down as we are led to believe. For example, the 427 block, in 1968, was the same for both engines. #3916321 for the early '68 model run. #3935439 for the late '68 model run. The exhaust manifolds on both engines were identical. The main areas of difference were in compression (significantly higher in L88), camshaft profile (L88 more radical), heads (L88 were aluminium, L71 were cast iron, although adding RPO L89 to RPO L71 got you aluminium heads there too), larger intake and exhaust valves on the L88, and a single 4bbl Holley (L88) rather than 3x2bbl Holleys (L71). If is far from impossible to build a L88-clone from a L71, but I'd start fresh if I were you. ;-)

Why do I nitpick on these errors? Because, over the years, the truth gets muddied. Before you know it, everybody owned one of these cars back in the day. :p

More to come...but for Heaven's sake, let's hear from YOU. Let's prove that British reserve is just a stereotype.

67HEAVEN

Well-known user
This is a good, but all too brief, video that focuses on a '69 L88, so listen for the factual differences compared to the '68. It was shot by Legendary Motorcar Company, a business less than an hour away from my home. Also, take note that it was uploaded in 2002, so the prices are way, way wrong now.

67HEAVEN

Well-known user
In that second video, did you notice that the '69 L88 came from the factory with F70x15" tyres? That's equivalent in SIZE to a P215/70R15 modern tyre, but that's where the equivalency stopped.

There was only about 6.5" of tread width on the road, and they were bias ply, meaning non-radial in construction. Those old bias plies were horrible in the handling and stickiness departments, and not much different than skating down the road on old-time roller skates.
temp1.jpg

Keep that in mind when considering the test results in any of the old back-in-the-day magazine tests. Today's off-the-shelf factory tyres are far superior than road race tyres of the '60s and '70s. Now, from the April 1969 issue of Hot Rod Magazine, the Street Machine with Soul, a 1969 L88 with automatic transmission.

1969ChevroletCorvette-L88-auto-p1.jpg

1969ChevroletCorvette-L88-auto-p2.jpg

1969ChevroletCorvette-L88-auto-p3.jpg

L88-hood.jpg

Last edited:

67HEAVEN

Well-known user
What are these cars selling for? This table outlines the 'known' sales since 2007. No doubt, many private transactions took place that we'll never know about. In particular, look at the two '67s about halfway down. That's what having one of 20 can do for you. ;)

L88-sales-figures.jpg

Roscobbc

Amazing storey really - when I plant my foot on the gas in my '68 and the 606 ft/lbs of torque hits I'm thankful of modern low profile rubber that allows me to do that - and then consider how's challenging that would be with old school rubber........having said that it is all too easy to still get caught out at higher speeds - 'flooring' the gas in a lower gear at 70 mph can cause the rear end to 'step-out' if there is a little bit of dew on the surface.......

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
1. At the 1:50 point in the video, he starts talking about the differences that make the L88 (430hp) much more powerful than the L71 (435hp). He lists things like higher compression (true, 12.5:1 for the L88; 11.0:1 for the L71), but then mentions "solid lifters" as if they were exclusive to the L88. Not so. The L71 also had solid lifters.
2. He talks about an aluminium intake as if that also was exclusive to the L88. Wrong. Both had them.
3. Chevrolet rated the L88 at much lower rpms than they usually do for other engines (true). At the 4:05 point in the video, he states that the L88 was rated at 430hp @ 4,600 rpm. But then, at the 5:40 point, he states, "430hp at 5,300 rpm". Hmmmm. It can't be both. The actual 430hp rating for the L88 (and the later ZL1) was published, by Chevrolet, @ 5,200 rpm. By the way, the L71's 435hp rating was recorded at 5,800 rpm.
4. At the 6:03 point, he states that Chevrolet built 30 L88 Corvettes in 1967. The actual number is 20.

The differences between the L71 and the L88 are not as deep down as we are led to believe. For example, the 427 block, in 1968, was the same for both engines. #3916321 for the early '68 model run. #3935439 for the late '68 model run. The exhaust manifolds on both engines were identical. The main areas of difference were in compression (significantly higher in L88), camshaft profile (L88 more radical), heads (L88 were aluminium, L71 were cast iron, although adding RPO L89 to RPO L71 got you aluminium heads there too), larger intake and exhaust valves on the L88, and a single 4bbl Holley (L88) rather than 3x2bbl Holleys (L71). If is far from impossible to build a L88-clone from a L71, but I'd start fresh if I were you. ;-)

Why do I nitpick on these errors? Because, over the years, the truth gets muddied. Before you know it, everybody owned one of these cars back in the day. :p

More to come...but for Heaven's sake, let's hear from YOU. Let's prove that British reserve is just a stereotype.

I saw the vid earlier and noted your comments re mis-information and came back today to find your post to ask about

The term 'L88' has been thrown around for decades, but there is still plenty to learn about these cars for most people...even the presenter in this video. He makes a few minor errors, but the message is clear - these are special cars.

Soon, we'll take a look, in much more detail.

I saw the vid previously and came back now to ask about the differences, but you have already explained, you have such a detailed wealth of knowledge on the L88 - I congratulate you - is there any question on the L88 that you have yet to find the definitive correct answer, something that is still a little bit of a mystery and the true answer needs to be found.

67HEAVEN

Well-known user
I saw the vid previously and came back now to ask about the differences, but you have already explained, you have such a detailed wealth of knowledge on the L88 - I congratulate you - is there any question on the L88 that you have yet to find the definitive correct answer, something that is still a little bit of a mystery and the true answer needs to be found.

Yes! Why didn't I know about it when I ordered the '67 L71? :mad: Mind you, I could barely afford the L71.

67HEAVEN

Well-known user
In this next video, the very stock 1969 L88 automatic takes a run down the 1/4 mile on stock 1969 poly glass 8 inch wide tyres. Let that sink in for a moment - the Goodyear Polyglas tyre was a bias-belted tyre first made in 1967 by Goodyear using belts made of fiberglass. They were an original equipment tyre on late 1960s muscle cars and Corvettes until steel-belted radials arrived in North American assembly plants. What should also be said is that, compared with subsequent radials and today's advanced tyres, they were junk.

With that in mind, what do you think it will do?...

Last edited:

67HEAVEN

Well-known user
You eeeeeeeeease up to the red traffic signal in your L88 and, out of the corner of your eye, you watch for the reaction from the car next. smiley-wink.gif

The light turns green...you slowly pull away. I'm betting the other driver is smiley-buggy.gif

Roscobbc

In this next video, the very stock 1969 L88 automatic takes a run down the 1/4 mile on stock 1969 poly glass 8 inch wide tyres. Let that sink in for a moment - the Goodyear Polyglas tyre was a bias-belted tyre first made in 1967 by Goodyear using belts made of fiberglass. They were an original equipment tyre on late 1960s muscle cars and Corvettes until steel-belted radials arrived in North American assembly plants. What should also be said is that, compared with subsequent radials and today's advanced tyres, they were junk.

With that in mind, what do you think it will do?...
High 11's / low 12's ?

67HEAVEN

Well-known user
Let's go racing. Even after an early spin-out, watch the '69 L88 chew 'em up and spit 'em out. Those small-Chevys and Porches have met their match. By the end of the race, the L88s have lapped just about everyone. You're gonna need to sit down for this...

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
Let's go racing. Even after an early spin-out, watch the '69 L88 chew 'em up and spit 'em out. Those small-Chevys and Porches have met their match. By the end of the race, the L88s have lapped just about everyone. You're gonna need to sit down for this...

Excellent in a class of its own, not only speed but well sorted to handle nicely