tyres

garry20050

New user
does any one no where i can get tyres for my c3 the ones i have are goodrich but have cracking on the tread i thiink they are about 14 years old.

Roscobbc

North Hants Tyres do BF's and other tyres - the one to consider are the Galaxy range - they are the only speed rated tyres available for C3's now (130 mph rated I think) BF's and Coopers are only rated at 112 mph.

Jimbo64

CCCUK Member
North Hants Tyres do BF's and other tyres - the one to consider are the Galaxy range - they are the only speed rated tyres available for C3's now (130 mph rated I think) BF's and Coopers are only rated at 112 mph.
Noted, but my Coopers are dated 2016 and are in great condition with loads of tread and have no intention of cruising any where near 112mph, so will stick with them for the foreseeable future!😉

Roscobbc

Non of us will be likely to cruise our C3's at anywhere near the 112 mph rating of a Cooper or similar lower speed rated tyre - however (for me anyway) the confidence of having a tyre that will be of an improved standard is re-assuring - mine would have originally had a bias belted equivalent to a 205/75/15

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
I think my old tyres were 205/75/15 as well on the car when it came over from the states. I put new 17 inch alloys on it with appropriate sized tyres. I was concerned about losing the "white letter text" look of the original tyres, but actually, I found the 17 inch alloys with "normal" black sided tyres combination looks really good.

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
Be careful with the BFG's. I put a new set on a 72 and the RWL's went brown in short order and no amount of cleaning would get them back to white. I tried thinners, scouring pads, Bleche White, Awesome, Jiff, petrol, everything.. The browning is known as Blooming and it's chemicals in the tyre that leach out and stain the letters. There have been cases in the US where tyres that 'bloomed' were replaced under warranty but NHT refuse to do so and state that no tyre dressings can be used on these tyres, just soap & water only..

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
Tried to get a set of tyres mounted yesterday and they refused stating new rules on health & safety means they can only mount tyres sold by them. This was kwik fit as being a Sunday my options were limited. I'll be going to a one-man type operation today who will mount them but once they're on I'll ask if they are being regulated as well as if it spreads across all tyre fitters shopping on line for tyres may be redundant if you can't get them mounted!

From kwik fits website:

Can you fit my own parts e.g. tyres, exhausts, batteries etc. that I have purchased elsewhere / supplied myself?

Kwik Fit policy is not to fit tyres or other parts that have been supplied by our customers rather than our own suppliers. This policy is agreed based on two considerations; firstly safety as we want to be sure that we can ensure the integrity of the parts, and secondly warranty support as this ensures clear responsibility under warranty if there are problems in the future with the product or service.

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
Tyre Companies that sell and fit invest in the requirements of their business, such as trained staff, lifts, tyre fitting and balancing equipment etc., these cost have to be paid for and their margins are being eroded by internet companies that do not have to invest in some of the same expenses, so it is quite a common occurrence that the tyre companies that fit do not want to fit a tyre purchased from a competitor.
You are usually better off going to a fitter / supplier and asking them to match a price from the web, so at least they are making some margin and you get your tyres fitted as a matter of course.

The internet is killing business - Hence the demise of the High streets and the department and chain stores that were once retail institutions in our market place.

The big internet players such as Amazon and Wayfair operate at a loss to gain Market Share and knock out the internet competition, so in the end they will control the price of your purchase and the competition as we knew it will no longer exist.

Blame the Government and the CMA - Look up Wayfair losses

Sorry for the Rant

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
Tyre Companies that sell and fit invest in the requirements of their business, such as trained staff, lifts, tyre fitting and balancing equipment etc., these cost have to be paid for and their margins are being eroded by internet companies that do not have to invest in some of the same expenses, so it is quite a common occurrence that the tyre companies that fit do not want to fit a tyre purchased from a competitor.

Businesses have to adapt as online purchases are not going away any time soon. If as stated yesterday fitting tyres purchased on line was a liability issue surely a disclaimer could be used to absolve them of any blame should there be a tyre installation failure.

You are usually better off going to a fitter / supplier and asking them to match a price from the web, so at least they are making some margin and you get your tyres fitted as a matter of course.

I've tried that and they will always try to upsell one of their preferred products or quote some insane price. I mulled over my latest tyre purchase long and hard and decided on a specific tyre which we in very limited availability and I was able to negotiate a discount from the on line supplier.

The internet is killing business - Hence the demise of the High streets and the department and chain stores that were once retail institutions in our market place.

Then surely they should adapt. I had them mounted this morning at a cost of £60.00 by a young man in 30 minutes or less. This is visit 2 of 3 in two weeks while waiting for another set to come in. £180.00 with very little outlay as I'm delivering the rims and tyres off the cars at my choice. The 'big' boys could surely see the potential in marketing to on line buyers that they will mount these tyres and get the appropriate disclaimers in place ?

The big internet players such as Amazon and Wayfair operate at a loss to gain Market Share and knock out the internet competition, so in the end they will control the price of your purchase and the competition as we knew it will no longer exist.

I try to shop locally as much as possible often paying more to do so. The butcher, fishmonger, deli & hardware store are used before the big supermarkets and DIY stores.

Hopefully there'll be a shift away from the very big players on the internet as they seem to be getting ever more bolder. I needed a new trackball mouse last week and admittedly went to order on line for speed & convenience. Found the one I needed and I couldn't order just one I had to order two. Cancelled that and picked one up in person later that day..

Blame the Government and the CMA - Look up Wayfair losses

Sorry for the Rant