What did you do with your Vette today?

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Captain K, Nice looking car! I love those wheels! As I've suffered perennial balance issues with my aftermarket "stock look" wheels I've wanted to go to TTs for years. Alas, it won't pass budget scrutiny!:)
Ahhh.... scrutiny. I know it well. As it turns out, I was advised by the garage that I needed 4 new tyres *cough* and that it seems that getting a larger alloy wheel package with 4 new normal "UK sized" tyres is almost the same price as 4 new "USA sized standard raised white letter" tyres *cough* ;):D

FIVE RED

CCCUK Member
Took the Vette out in the sunshine for the second time since taxing it 11days ago - yes second time out and second time for sunshine this month!
Great to get back behind the wheel again and appreciate the ridiculous power these cars have.
Received the membership renewal pack so stuck the new club sticker on the windscreen, I also really like the 40th Anniversary patch that'll go nicely on my jacket.

Jimbo64

CCCUK Member
A cheeky wee drive up Royal Deeside to Potarch. Parked up and watched a guy trying to lift and hold up the Dinnie Stones (very large boulders) He failed when we watched! Went for a woodland walk and then a cuppa & cake in the Potarch Hotel/Cafe, where Mr Muscles was now having a dram and celebrating, so obviously managed whilst we went wandering in the woods. Hey ho.
IMG_20190413_140858.jpgIMG_20190413_140916.jpg

kentvette

CCCUK Member
Up nice and early this morning, to go to our local car club meet at a village just west of Le Mans. Pulled the Corvette put of the garage and wife June spots a trail of fluid on teh drive... Oh oh! Peep underneath - one of the pump to valve power steering hoses has "popped", or more likey worn through due to contact with the other!:mad: So, pulled the car back in, and into it's slot at the back of the garage - a nice trail of fluid all through the garage!

So I know what I'll be doing later in the week! I knew I should have changed all the hoses when I did the valve last year - that'll teach me not to be a cheapskate! But first, a call to Corvette Kingdom!

Last edited:

Nick B

CCCUK Member
A cheeky wee drive up Royal Deeside to Potarch. Parked up and watched a guy trying to lift and hold up the Dinnie Stones (very large boulders) He failed when we watched! Went for a woodland walk and then a cuppa & cake in the Potarch Hotel/Cafe, where Mr Muscles was now having a dram and celebrating, so obviously managed whilst we went wandering in the woods. Hey ho.
View attachment 2930View attachment 2931
Car looks great Jim!

Jimbo64

CCCUK Member
Up nice and early this morning, to go to our local car club meet at a village just west of Le Mans. Pulled the Corvette put of the garage and wife June spots a trail of fluid on teh drive... Oh oh! Peep underneath - one of the pump to valve power steering hoses has "popped", or more likey worn through due to contact with the other!:mad: So, pulled the car back in, and into it's slot at the back of the garage - a nice trail of fluid all through the garage!

So I know what I'll be doing later in the week! I knew I should have changed all the hoses when I did the valve last year - that'll teach me not to be a cheapskate! But first, a call to Corvette Kingdom!
Bummer, but well spotted June!

Jimbo64

CCCUK Member
Well apart from losing a fair bit of oil out of the oil pressure sender's port (at least I'm reducing the possible faults that are causing a non-working oil pressure gauge!)
I changed over the rear leaf springs bushes, as the following photos show, the old ones were past their best!
IMG_20190507_120153.jpgIMG_20190507_120216_1.jpgIMG_20190507_135255.jpgIMG_20190507_131552.jpgIMG_20190507_135203.jpg

PAZ9556

CCCUK Member

kentvette

CCCUK Member
Yep thatโ€™s one of my next jobs front and back
The spring bushes are not a bad job - the front's a whole different ball game!:eek::D

Meanwhile, I eventually got to fit the new power steering hoses that had arrived from Scott at Corvette Kingdom a few days before. A "fun" little job, which I wasted some time on while trying to work out how to get the pump hoses aligned so they didn't touch. But, closer reading of the AIM revealed that in fact they do touch, and at the factory are "tied" together. So, that made life a lot easier from there on. Chevy should be congratulated for fitting the P/S pump in the most inaccessible position, which always makes re-filling most enjoyable, but the no-engine-start bleeding method is kinder all round.

To add further to my enjoyment I decided it was the perfect time to deal with the "greasing and inspection" elements of the annual service, so all wheels came off, ball jonts, tie rod ends and all 4 rear U/Js greased and everything inspected, cleaned and tidied. Oil and filter change in the next few days as that's an outside job......

Jimbo64

CCCUK Member
FYI
Using longer bolts would allow lowering car, do at all 4 corners
I'm hoping my new bushes have raised the rear of my car slightly, as I'm sick hearing exhaust s scraping on a few of the speed bumps around me, however slow I go over them!

kentvette

CCCUK Member
I'm hoping my new bushes have raised the rear of my car slightly, as I'm sick hearing exhaust s scraping on a few of the speed bumps around me, however slow I go over them!

Funnily enough, I was going to say that your next job could be to replace the old metal spring with a composite unit. That would restor the height and make for a much more comfortable ride. Probably the best thing we ever did to the old '78.

Jimbo64

CCCUK Member
Funnily enough, I was going to say that your next job could be to replace the old metal spring with a composite unit. That would restor the height and make for a much more comfortable ride. Probably the best thing we ever did to the old '78.
Not sure if I can justify the cost of new composite spring yet, well I could, but it's convincing "she who must be obeyed" of the fact!๐Ÿ˜‚