What did you do with your Vette today?

97BlackC5

CCCUK Member
Today and part of yesterday I spent cleaning the 2019 ZR1 (some might say surely a brand new car doesn't need THAT much cleaning?) Well it did! Having done 1,000 miles in 3 weeks of ownership it needed a lot of cleaning and it is also May Bug / Love Bug season in Florida and these little blighters explode on impact and cover your paint in an acidic residue which causes havoc if not removed quickly.

Washed then clay barred the car, then used a cleaner wax and finally this morning I applied a Nano Coating so I will be interested to see if this protects the paint as described. Taking the car up to Charleston on Thursday to drop it off at the port ready for its journey over to the UK for the summer. Should be at the Nats assuming the ship goes where it is supposed to go and gets to Southampton on time!
I assume we will be seeing the Zed at le Mans????

Redlevel

Well-known user
Redid the weather stripping atop the windscreen of my '87.

Didn't fancy paying out loads of dosh for a full kit, so i bought some waterproof neoprene self adhesive strip and made my own. Turned out a very neat job.
Made it oversized, then refitted the roof and trimmed around it with my trusty Swann-Morton No.11. 30mins and about 10GBP.

The original strip is in two layers, narrow and wide, each about 5mm thick. I bought two sizes, 6mmx32, and 6mmx20. The 6x20 fitted the stainless steel track snugly and the 6x32 covered it all up on top to fill the whole area.

Blasted it with the jetwash and result! No more leaks.

Fb for images..

Last edited:

antijam

CCCUK Member
Treated the old girl to brand new headers-back shiny stainless exhaust system. The old one was sound but had been blowing at every joint and subsequently patched with weld in so many places that it was never going to be satisfactorily recoverable.

The system was made up and fitted while I waited...

P1320133.JPG

P1320134.JPG

P1320136.JPG

I've retained the original tips so from the road the system looks standard and it now makes a very satisfyingly dirty noise and no wuffling from the leaks!:)

antijam

CCCUK Member
Looks good! Who did the work - always good to give credit where it's due(y);)

Work was done by Infinity Exhausts near Bristol - just off the M4 and only a few miles from where I live. All the pipework is fabricated by hand at the time to achieve best fit and clearances. The job took about four hours and they were meticulous in getting everything lined up correctly. Have to say I'm very pleased with the result and should anything go awry in future, they have an excellent record of honouring their lifetime guarantee.

kentvette

CCCUK Member
Work was done by Infinity Exhausts near Bristol - just off the M4 and only a few miles from where I live. All the pipework is fabricated by hand at the time to achieve best fit and clearances. The job took about four hours and they were meticulous in getting everything lined up correctly. Have to say I'm very pleased with the result and should anything go awry in future, they have an excellent record of honouring their lifetime guarantee.

Nice job, "proper" routing and everything. Did you supply the "square" tail pipe ends or them? Neatly fitted in any event and I love the shiney boxes - same as we have, looks-wise at least. Amazingly, ours have stayed shiny like that even after what must be getting on for 25 years! I just wipe them down when they get grubby.....

antijam

CCCUK Member
Nice job, "proper" routing and everything. Did you supply the "square" tail pipe ends or them? Neatly fitted in any event ......

I got Infinity to salvage the square tips from the old exhaust; they have a wide range of stock stainless tips but nothing that matched the stock C3 pipes. They made an excellent job of welding them to the new boxes and they even polished them up to match the new look of the rest of the system.

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
I got Infinity to salvage the square tips from the old exhaust; they have a wide range of stock stainless tips but nothing that matched the stock C3 pipes. They made an excellent job of welding them to the new boxes and they even polished them up to match the new look of the rest of the system.

Looks a nice job especially retaining the correct tail trims, the Vette also looks good, one of the "U" clamps to the collectors could be turned around a little, it is a low point of the Vette and with the bracket sticking down that way, sometimes they can catch in some circumstances.

antijam

CCCUK Member
..... one of the "U" clamps to the collectors could be turned around a little, it is a low point of the Vette and with the bracket sticking down that way, sometimes they can catch in some circumstances.
Good point. I just checked the car again and all the 'U' clamps are aligned for maximum clearance. I realise I took the photo before they did final checks and tightened everything up.:)

Simonl

Regular user
Renewed insurance after winter lay up and drove it round the block in the sun, let the good times roll

kentvette

CCCUK Member
Actually yesterday we enjoyed a most enjoyable afternoon up in Meyenne, visiting the Château de la Basmaignée, one of those featured in the Dick Strawbridge "Chateau DIY" series. Wonderful place and a lovely young couple. All organised by long time CCCUK member and our esteemed International Rep, Pete Sansbury, as part of his local car-lovers group activities. A very pleasant time and great run up and back, about 210 miles round trip.

Last edited:

Kicks on 66

CCCUK Member
New boots for the upcoming MOT. Thanks to Keef @ Eurovettes for the importing way back in 2018, only now just sorted out the fitting. Well not entirely true one lot of tyre fitters couldn’t/wouldn’t jack the Vette safely. So if you want something done, do it yourself!🙄2ADD3BCE-1418-47A5-BC1A-242742B0E7C1.jpeg283A39E7-6825-42ED-8A14-C2BD17A66C0E.jpeg

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
Know the problem. Have a set of those US "Race Ramps" in the garage. Bought them of Ebay for £70 years back.
Only used them once, when replacing the tyres on the C6. Local Tyre fitter didn't have a jack low enough to get under the front. So, had to take the Race Ramps down and drive the car up on them, to get the jack under it. Same procedure for the back, so that the fitter could put a piece of wood between the jack and the jacking points.

Last edited:

johng

CCCUK Member
Finally got the body off my car yesterday. Chassis is covered in surface rust but pleased to find it's completely solid (I do need a couple of small plates in the bottom of the number 2 mounts though). You can see the build sheet still on the tank in the picture with one of my able assistants, but it is totally illegible.
John

Attachments

• IMGP1598.JPG
    IMGP1598.JPG
    211.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMGP1600.JPG
    IMGP1600.JPG
    310 KB · Views: 18
  • IMGP1602.JPG
    IMGP1602.JPG
    361.7 KB · Views: 18

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
Finally got the body off my car yesterday. Chassis is covered in surface rust but pleased to find it's completely solid (I do need a couple of small plates in the bottom of the number 2 mounts though). You can see the build sheet still on the tank in the picture with one of my able assistants, but it is totally illegible.
John
How long do you reckon before you get it back on the road ?