» Brooklands Museum - Weybridge by curious bystander on Thu 16 Nov 17 19:49

» Lowering my c4 by stuart2379 on Thu 16 Nov 17 19:06

» ZR1 Dubai Debut by kentvette on Thu 16 Nov 17 16:04

» C5 Stormforce Outdoor Cover For Sale by MShaky on Thu 16 Nov 17 15:37

» Problem using Website by z06_tim on Thu 16 Nov 17 13:50

» C4 Headlight conversions.. by gary 53 on Thu 16 Nov 17 09:29

» Corvette C5 clutch noise. by shorty on Wed 15 Nov 17 21:03

» C5 by 5 USA on Wed 15 Nov 17 20:58

» North Wales & Cheshire Vette Owner - 2018 Meets by Adam.slater@hotmail.co.uk on Wed 15 Nov 17 18:16

» Alternators and Starters by Daytona Vette on Wed 15 Nov 17 16:58

» Classic American mag by kentvette on Wed 15 Nov 17 09:28

» Laying the Car up for Winter? Not This Guy! by z06_tim on Tue 14 Nov 17 20:05

» Proposed BBCN Region Christmas meet 2nd December by oldtimer on Tue 14 Nov 17 10:48

» What does this wire do / connect to? by CaptainK on Tue 14 Nov 17 09:20

» For Sale - C5 Z06 Wheels & Tyres by MShaky on Tue 14 Nov 17 09:20

» Removing the in Dashboard 90 c4 corvette by gary 53 on Tue 14 Nov 17 08:02

» NEC show this weekend by roscobbc on Mon 13 Nov 17 23:05

» Injectors / Fuel Filter Changed by stevel98 on Mon 13 Nov 17 13:43

» BBCN Region December Meet/Christmas Lunch by Nicetie on Mon 13 Nov 17 12:54

» "UK spec" C7 Headlights by chevrolet on Sun 12 Nov 17 11:02

» Early photo's from NEC by roscobbc on Fri 10 Nov 17 23:59

» Spark Plugs - 1968 327 by CaptainK on Fri 10 Nov 17 11:55

» 1977 Auto for Sale. by wallisg on Fri 10 Nov 17 11:09

Alternators and Starters

Go to page: Previous / 1, 2

Reply to topic
View previous topicEmail to a FriendPrinter FriendlyView next topic

Author

roscobbc

Committee Member

Tue 14 Nov 17 21:52

Re: Alternators and Starters

I wrapped my starter with the same self adhesive alloy foil insulation that can be used on interiors. The analogy about using this for keeping heat 'out' - or - sealing it 'in' is an accurate one that can also apply to domestic insulation.

--------------------
CCCUK Chairman & Editor, Vette News
'68 coupe - 4 speed - 3.08 - 489 cu in - 570 bhp @ 5850 rpm - 606 ft/lbs torque (821 Newton Metres) @ 3850 rpm

Daytona Vette

Club Member

Tue 14 Nov 17 23:55

I did not consider the issue of .heat retention when using a heat barrier for the starter motor myself, I was short of time, having a new High Torque unit fitted and could not find a ready made Heat Shield in time and consequently went for the Blanket which was not my first choice, but now after being alerted to the question of heat retention from Stephen's post, I wish I had the metal shield rather than the Blanket, the Heat Shield being the barrier to the heat from the exhaust whilst still allowing the heat from the starter motor to dissipate.

My starter motor (not very old, not many miles) needed changing due to heat damage, the headers came down very close to the solenoid section of the starter motor, I did find the second (still High Torque motor) was of a different design giving a greater clearance between the solenoid housing and the headers - use the metal fabricated shield not the blanket.

As an adage get a battery cut off switch, fitted to the battery so you can kill any power drain when not in use.

--------------------
Barry - Daytona Vette

kentvette

Club Member

Wed 15 Nov 17 09:26

I should say that I'm no expert, but the question of heat retention was raised on one of the American forums. When my starter was playing up it would re-start after a very short time, but if left for a few minutes (at a fuel stop for example) it would be "dead", so the retention theory seemed logical.

Barry's mention of headers is another point to note. Our car came with headers and, apart from being noisy, they heated the car interior to the point that I burnt my hand on a "shammy" that was in a bag in the passenger foot well! When we changed them back to the original manifold and downpipe set-up our world changed! Very Happy Quieter and cool! I can't think that they helped the poor starter at all. I won't get into the pros and cons of headers, but I'd never have them again..... Smile

--------------------
Stephen J Irons
CCCUK Lifetime Member
Corvette Club France
Corvettes of Southern California
NCM Family Member
Stephen & June's Web Site
Red Corvettes Have More Fun!

Apple IS Genisys!
The "Born-Again Greenies" are killing the planet! It's time to wake up and smell the rain-forest burning!

roscobbc

Committee Member

Wed 15 Nov 17 10:30

Not all headers are 'equal' - depending on fitment/car/etc they will differ. The use of Hedman's on mine reduced under-hood temperatures, yet caused an uncomfortably hot foot-well owing to being very close underneath (for good road clearance) - current Hooker Supercomps are ceramic coated which reduces under-hood heat. They have rubbish ground clearance which actually means cool floor temperatures Thumbs up Banghead

--------------------
CCCUK Chairman & Editor, Vette News
'68 coupe - 4 speed - 3.08 - 489 cu in - 570 bhp @ 5850 rpm - 606 ft/lbs torque (821 Newton Metres) @ 3850 rpm

Daytona Vette

Club Member

Wed 15 Nov 17 11:11

I have Headman Headers on mine with no issues of footwell Heat, on the side track of Ceramic coating, one can always get a set of Headers Ceramic coated to reduce heat and in particular if you need to keep the exterior finish of the Headers as is, you can coat them internally, the bike boys do that to stop the chrome going blue.

--------------------
Barry - Daytona Vette

CaptainK

Club Member

Wed 15 Nov 17 15:24

I too had read about the heat retention of heat blankets compared to heat shields. The heat shields reflect the heat, but still allow air flow around the starter.

I'm also considering getting some headers later on down the line too. Hopefully they'll help with heat.

Daytona Vette

Club Member

Wed 15 Nov 17 16:58

The Headers will not necessarily help with heat it all depends on the pipework and the proximity of the nearest pipe to the sm, but certainly get the Headers ceramic coated on the inside to help with the heat if you want but the Metal Shield is probably the first and easiest step, certainly if the sm is coming off.

--------------------
Barry - Daytona Vette

Reply to topic
View previous topicEmail to a FriendPrinter FriendlyPrivate MessengerView next topic

Go to page: Previous / 1, 2

Permissions