CCCUK logo

Ian Allan Motors

Website Control

Recent threads

New Forum Posts

» 17th Annual Straight Run....... by Norm on Mon 22 Oct 18 16:25

» Spotted C2 by Daytona Vette on Mon 22 Oct 18 12:22

» C6 For Sale? by Atomic UK on Mon 22 Oct 18 05:35

» C5 standard wheels and one aftermarket multispoke. by L88 on Sun 21 Oct 18 16:13

» Help with newly acquired 72 350 Auto by Grahamred70 on Sun 21 Oct 18 12:17

» CCCUK East Sussex meeting in October by Sea5 on Sat 20 Oct 18 22:21

» C2/C3 rear trailing arms plus other parts by L88 on Sat 20 Oct 18 13:56

» Le Mans 2019 by kentvette on Sat 20 Oct 18 12:48

» 2009 C6 LS3 wing mirrors by 86vetteman on Fri 19 Oct 18 16:13

» A trio of C2 owners. by L88 on Fri 19 Oct 18 14:46

» Silverstone Classic 2019 by curious bystander on Thu 18 Oct 18 20:01

» AC belt by corvetteville on Thu 18 Oct 18 17:55

» Spec lists by kentvette on Thu 18 Oct 18 16:41

» Birdcage repair by johng on Thu 18 Oct 18 12:49

» Strange tacho by kentvette on Thu 18 Oct 18 12:44

» What did you do with your Vette today? by FIVE RED on Thu 18 Oct 18 12:25

» C3 Hooker Side Pipe headers by icandycanvas on Wed 17 Oct 18 16:18

» C3 Side Exhaust Pipes by icandycanvas on Tue 16 Oct 18 20:52

» Wiper actuator on a 69L by Ddave on Tue 16 Oct 18 18:36

» Tips by CaptainK on Tue 16 Oct 18 13:44

» Im interested in a C5 Z06 (this time next year) by Benbay001 on Tue 16 Oct 18 12:55

» Engine cutting out after firing up by Firepit on Tue 16 Oct 18 09:19

» Thinking About Hanging Them Up....... by Norm on Mon 15 Oct 18 15:44

» BBCN Regional meet by Nicetie on Mon 15 Oct 18 12:57

» C5 O2 sensor code?? by roppa440 on Mon 15 Oct 18 08:45

» C2 fibreglassing and prep. by L88 on Sun 14 Oct 18 17:16

» Road Atlanta this weekend. by UkBeancounter on Sun 14 Oct 18 14:29

» New Series of Wheeler Dealers an 02 Z06?? by dex99 on Sun 14 Oct 18 12:02

» Door removal on 79 coupe by Nigelcurry on Sat 13 Oct 18 20:01

» American Day - Museum of Power Essex by Forrest Gump on Sat 13 Oct 18 17:44

New Teslas..

Go to page: Previous / 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 / Next

Reply to topic
View previous topicEmail to a FriendPrinter FriendlyView next topic

Author

roscobbc

Committee Member

Thu 23 Nov 17 00:15

Re: New Teslas..

stevel98 wrote (View Post):Your not wrong!

Being submerged in water only seemed to annoy it, but I wasn't about to watch it burn a hole in my labs nice floor and we only have water and CO2 extinguishers and I doubt they would have had any effect on the ferocity of the burning so out it went with a swift kick.

Never did chemistry at school myself, but what got to me was the fact that this battery was depleted and only dropped about a metre onto a vinyl floor. It weighs about 1kg, so multiply that by 200 fully charged batteries and that's a lot of energy.

I wonder how well the fire and rescue guys are briefed about the potential for such an incident as an EV fire? How would they handle that?

Reminds me of years ago as a teenager when I tried to make my own firework mixture (yes, stupid I know). I used a large marble ashtray to mix the ingredients with a pestle. The mix must have been a bit damp as nothing happened when I tried to use it. I had been doing this on the top of the beautify varnished Singer treadle sewing machine that used to belong to my Grandmother (albeit with newspaper to project the surface). I was loosing patience now and tried (and succeeded) lighting the mixture in the ashtray with a paraffin blow-lamp (don't ask me why I used this - especially indoors!). Once alight the mixture seemed to liquify and burn fiercely. I started to panic as I couldn't put it out - it just kept burning. Then the marble ashtray shattered in tiny pieces with the burning mixture seemingly unstoppable burning its way through the sheets of newspaper and into the varnished surface of the sewing machine - and it spread over the surface of the top, badly damaging it before I eventually managed to extinguish the mixture. The fumes from what was a relative small amount of chemicals were terrible - mother was not very pleased. Much like she wasn't a few years later when she allowed me to bring my AJS 500 in to the unused drawing room in the middle of winter to do some essential repairs. In the middle of the night the prop stand collapsed, the bike fell over and the contents of the oil tank leaked out all over the floor. Fortunately covered in Linoleum rather than carpeting - another story Laughing

--------------------
CCCUK Chairman
'68 coupe - 4 speed - 3.08 - 489 cu in - 570 bhp @ 5850 rpm - 606 ft/lbs torque (821 Newton Metres) @ 3850 rpm

Redlevel

Club Member

Thu 23 Nov 17 10:53

I ruined my Mother's electric oven by cooking 8 seized Formula400 pistons/conrods. The heat expanded them and freed them off (dumped into a bucket of paraffin to keep them moving and to cool off) but the stink of burnt coolant/oil in the oven meant I had to buy her a new cooker.

What happened was that on a Pontiac block, the front timing cover is in fact also the water pump housing and it had rotted inside. The owner plugged it with putty and sold it to me (£900) two weeks later the putty gave up and the coolant was pumped into the sump seizing the motor. There wasn't much damage, and I replaced all the bearings (Glacier Metal Company where my Dad worked, full set for £10!) and put it all back together. Wish I still had it, it was a beast..

Alan305

Club Member

Mon 27 Nov 17 11:16

There are so many companies making real progress on driverless electric vehicles.

Does anyone seriously believe that in x years we won’t have safe, reliable, cheap, driverless cars? ... and x will be sooner than we think.

It will work because there is money to be made.

Check out this one, a Chinese startup in the US with lots of ex Tesla staff, on a fast trip round the Circuit of Americas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=5&v=We8U2tCv3Ks

Nice touch when the driver gets out of the car and hands over the car.

Last edited by Alan305 on Mon 27 Nov 17 11:18; edited 1 time in total. [7 %]
--------------------
"what could possibly go wrong"

z06_tim

Club Member

Mon 27 Nov 17 12:03

Alan305 wrote (View Post):There are so many companies making real progress on driverless electric vehicles.

Does anyone seriously believe that in x years we won’t have safe, reliable, cheap, driverless cars? ... and x will be sooner than we think.

Check out this one, a Chinese startup in the US with lots of ex Tesla staff, on a fast trip round the Circuit of Americas:

I agree with you Alan.

The company you mention "NIO" - wiki entry here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NIO_(car_company) , has quite a growing facility in Oxford. A few of the guys there, I have worked with in the past.

They also went by the name NextEV a while back.

Feels a bit like the US in the early 20th century when there were a couple of hundred auto companies, a huge number of which got absorbed into GM.

Will be interesting to see who are the winners and losers from all the EV start-ups, and the existing OEMs.

Did anyone see Guy Martin's take on driverless cars last night?

Last edited by z06_tim on Mon 27 Nov 17 12:04; edited 1 time in total. [2 %]
--------------------
2001 Z06, 1994 LT1 (sold)
Alfa 147 GTA daily driver.

roscobbc

Committee Member

Mon 27 Nov 17 18:58

z06_tim wrote (View Post):Alan305 wrote (View Post):There are so many companies making real progress on driverless electric vehicles.

I agree with you Alan.

The company you mention "NIO" - wiki entry here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NIO_(car_company) , has quite a growing facility in Oxford. A few of the guys there, I have worked with in the past.

They also went by the name NextEV a while back.

Feels a bit like the US in the early 20th century when there were a couple of hundred auto companies, a huge number of which got absorbed into GM.

Will be interesting to see who are the winners and losers from all the EV start-ups, and the existing OEMs.

Did anyone see Guy Martin's take on driverless cars last night?

Yes - did watch Guy Martin - an interesting and very realistic 'take' on things. Have Tesla and other EV suppliers figured what to do when the public acceptance (and purse) these vehicles 'takes-off' and how they propose we deal with the energy 'famine' that going to happen when the National Grid becomes overloaded with drivers home charging at night?
I have just taken delivery of my second hybrid vehicle - this time a 'plug-in' with EV range supposedly of 20 miles or so. I really wouldn't want to have sourced an all-electric vehicle with the charging network being the shambles it currently is. Tesla may currently have the answer in terms of their big budget Supercharger stations - but what happens when all these Type 3's start flooding the market (presuming of course Tesla can get themselves out of the big financial 'hole' they are currently in!)
BTW - for commercial applications - anyone seen this ~ https://www.tevva.com/

Last edited by roscobbc on Mon 27 Nov 17 19:04; edited 1 time in total. [7 %]
--------------------
CCCUK Chairman
'68 coupe - 4 speed - 3.08 - 489 cu in - 570 bhp @ 5850 rpm - 606 ft/lbs torque (821 Newton Metres) @ 3850 rpm

FranV8

Awww... join the CCCUK!

Mon 27 Nov 17 23:08

I did a cigarette packet calculation if you took current annual car mileage for the UK and thought it would be 10GW needed, current peak capacity of the National Grid is circa 60GW. I can't remember whose more qualified report I read but they predicted 8GW. They've got 23 years to solve it.

We're already seeing more spread out generation, and battery pricing and availability (especially second life EV batteries) and V2G technology possibilities mean we shouldn't be worried about Daily Mail panic inducing stories.

--------------------
1995 Corvette LT1 6-Speed Coupe
2007 Honda UFO

Previous
1986 Corvette Z51 Coupe

roscobbc

Committee Member

Tue 28 Nov 17 00:18

Less a 'national' issue I guess initially - more of a 'local' issue. With future generations being being able only afford apartments and mews type properties and most now being built with limited parking (and potential charging provision) where will all these 'future' EV buyers/users charge their vehicles. Service stations, main dealers, supermarkets and places of work. The point is that local and national authorities are not providing or planning for the infrastructure needed to support the expect growth in purchase and usage of EV vehicles. And Fran I still don't buy the line put out by 'authorities' that domestic and commercial usage of 'low energy' LED luminaires will be the nations saviour in terms of future reduced energy usage - initially it has trended that way, but we are seeing a gradual trend in use of significantly higher output LED lamps that whilst still lower energy than conventional equivalent old school filament lighting the total numbers now used in any one building are significantly increasing. Couple that with the expansion of housebuilding required for our burgeoning population.............Banghead

--------------------
CCCUK Chairman

z06_tim

Club Member

Tue 28 Nov 17 08:26

Ross - I've not heard of Tevva, but that just shows there are so many companies developing EVs. I was working for a consultancy nearly 10yrs ago that helped a company launch a trial of electric home delivery trucks for Tesco. It was not very successful, but all part of the learning on this road-map.

I've seen numbers quoted that show the spare capacity on the grid overnight is sufficient for quite a few years yet. They just have to incentivise over night charging.

New houses near me are always built with driveway parking, and I believe they are building a minimum of two spaces. I have also seen charging points installed on all properties from at least one builder. Admittedly it will be better when there is a standardised type of fast charger installation, but clear evidence that all sorts of industries are embracing this change.

I can envisage people that do not have garages/driveways may not be "car-guys" like you or I, so they will be part of the huge uptake in shared-ownership/rental of driverless cars, hence they don't need to charge and park a vehicle overnight outside their property. I see a lot of people's vision of cities getting their green-spaces back as they need less parking if there is less car ownership. I don't really subscribe to this, as the car will need to park somewhere to charge, or when out of action. Plus right now, I live quite rural, and time my journeys outside of rush hour where possible. Millions of empty driverless cars wizzing around to the next job, creating a permanent rush hour fills me with dread a little!

If you have a lot of spare reading time, this is an interesting free pdf book, not specifically about EVs, but energy policy in general: http://www.inference.org.uk/sustainable/book/tex/sewtha.pdf

Interesting times, that is for sure!

Last edited by z06_tim on Tue 28 Nov 17 08:27; edited 1 time in total. [0 %]
--------------------
2001 Z06, 1994 LT1 (sold)
Alfa 147 GTA daily driver.

roscobbc

Committee Member

Tue 28 Nov 17 08:45

Interesting Tim - only mentioned Tevva as they are based local(ish) to me and located typically for a company that would be servicing a major city. Living in London we are seeing many housing developments without provision for vehicle parking. Of course the response will be that this enables builders to provide more living space and keep property prices down..........

Last edited by roscobbc on Tue 28 Nov 17 08:45; edited 1 time in total. [0 %]
--------------------
CCCUK Chairman

Redlevel

Club Member

Tue 28 Nov 17 17:57

This would do me as a hybrid.. Always like the big Jap retro rides.. The dealers stock list has some nice stuff listed..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MODERN-CLASSIC-RETRO-JAPANESE-TOY...

Reply to topic
View previous topicEmail to a FriendPrinter FriendlyPrivate MessengerView next topic

Go to page: Previous / 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 / Next

Permissions