CCCUK logo

Ian Allan Motors

Website Control

Recent threads

New Forum Posts

» Brooklands American Day by curious bystander on Thu 14 Dec 17 21:17

» Medway Festival of Steam and Transport by curious bystander on Thu 14 Dec 17 21:09

» Motorfest - Weston Park Shropshire by curious bystander on Thu 14 Dec 17 21:02

» Race Retro - Stoneleigh Park by curious bystander on Thu 14 Dec 17 20:45

» Classic Sports Car Show - London by curious bystander on Thu 14 Dec 17 20:27

» 'Missing' Vette by roscobbc on Thu 14 Dec 17 18:24

» New Corvette pricing including ZR1 by roscobbc on Thu 14 Dec 17 17:54

» War Bonnet Yellow Paint Supplier by autocolor on Thu 14 Dec 17 17:53

» Selling items on this Website by Bowler on Thu 14 Dec 17 16:45

» End of build clear out by Stinky Bob on Thu 14 Dec 17 14:58

» Ropey C3's .... Where to Paint? by stevel98 on Thu 14 Dec 17 12:23

» Dry winter drives by stevel98 on Wed 13 Dec 17 15:47

» Insurance recommenations by 666Vette on Wed 13 Dec 17 12:23

» Cruising in the US by Texastrike on Wed 13 Dec 17 11:00

» Goodwood Revival - 2018 by curious bystander on Tue 12 Dec 17 22:40

» Goodwood Festival of Speed by curious bystander on Tue 12 Dec 17 22:30

» Club Magazine by GateMaster on Tue 12 Dec 17 16:28

» Header recommendations (side mount) by stevel98 on Tue 12 Dec 17 14:55

» Alternators and Starters by stevel98 on Tue 12 Dec 17 13:11

» CCCUK East Sussex December Xmas Meeting by Sea5 on Tue 12 Dec 17 11:29

» CCCUK West Sussex Xmas Meeting and Dinner by Sea5 on Tue 12 Dec 17 11:06

» 1974 corvette c3 auto for sale by CaptainK on Mon 11 Dec 17 15:38

» Corvette-Fame 13-14-15 July 2018 - Valkenburg a/d Geul Netherlands by JonnyC4 on Sun 10 Dec 17 18:48

» Problem using Website by JonnyC4 on Sun 10 Dec 17 18:44

» 1976 C3 5.7L Auto For Sale by born2bmild on Sun 10 Dec 17 10:52

» Cheeeeap ZR1 by Nogbad on Sat 09 Dec 17 17:05

» Silverstone Classic - 20/21/22 July 2018 by curious bystander on Fri 08 Dec 17 19:41

» !FOR SALE 1976 Corvette SURVIVOR 42k one owner. by Vetteheadtony on Fri 08 Dec 17 17:53

» For Sale C5 OEM Steering Wheel Airbag SOLD! by dex99 on Thu 07 Dec 17 15:02

» C+SC Show with Flywheel - Bicester Heritage Centre by curious bystander on Thu 07 Dec 17 14:43

dashboard removal?

Reply to topic
View previous topicEmail to a FriendPrinter FriendlyView next topic

Author

frogeyeman

Club Member

Sat 02 Dec 17 23:08

dashboard removal?

Car is a 1978 anniversary model. Do you really need to remove instruments(speedo/rev counter) just to change the bulb for the indicator tell tell? The workshop manuals I have do not even mention these bulbs or what size/type they are. Do not like removing dash equipment as you tend to disturb other wiring. Any help appreciated.

roscobbc

Committee Member

Sun 03 Dec 17 02:15

Re: dashboard removal?

If you are athletic and agile lie on your back with your head and shoulder under the dash and in the footwell with your legs over the seat back. Can't guarantee you'll ever get yourself out again so best remove driver seat to make it easier. It is accessible from underneath but difficult. You might want to remove centre console which should allow you to remove lower fixings for dashboard and pull the bottom of it out a bit to make access a little better. A gynecological doctorate may also help Banghead

--------------------
CCCUK Chairman & Editor, Vette News
'68 coupe - 4 speed - 3.08 - 489 cu in - 570 bhp @ 5850 rpm - 606 ft/lbs torque (821 Newton Metres) @ 3850 rpm

kentvette

Club Member

Sun 03 Dec 17 09:28

frogeyeman wrote (View Post):Car is a 1978 anniversary model. Do you really need to remove instruments(speedo/rev counter) just to change the bulb for the indicator tell tell? The workshop manuals I have do not even mention these bulbs or what size/type they are. Do not like removing dash equipment as you tend to disturb other wiring. Any help appreciated.

Yes, you need to at least pull the Speedo/Tach assemble out someway from the dash.

The workshop manuals all tend to refer to the pre-78 dash, and I understand that it is much more tricky to change bulbs on those cars. They talk about lowering the steering column, definitely NOT required!

But on our '78s, the main "speedo/tach" assembly will come away without the need to remove anything else. It is a job that requires a bit of patience, and perhaps some dexterity, but it's not hard.

With good light you will see that there are screws around the edge of the assembly holding it to the actual dash. Remove each of these. You can then carefully pull the assembly towards you. But, it will not come very far until you release the speedo cable. That is held in by a clever spring clip that needs a tab to be pushed to release the cable. If you can get under and have a look, you will see what I mean. (that's the tricky part, getting yourself into the foot well so that you can see up underneath! Alternatively, try and use a mirror, a dentists type is good, to see the clip.)

Once you have "popped" out the cable, pull the unit out very carefully, it is still connected to the electrical harness. You can unplug the harness as it is one large plug.

The bulbs are held in small holders that, from memory, they twist out? They connect into the flexible "circuit board" in teh back of the unit. I think they are alll the "all glass" type of bulb.

As they say in the manuals, re-assembly is teh reverse! To get the speedo cable back in, locate it in it's hole and push in until the clip "clicks" into place. Push the unit back into the dash and replace the screws.

I'm afraid I can't tell you what the wattage is for the bulbs though, I think I got mine from Claremont, so Tom knew! I'm gussing only a couple of watts.

Last edited by kentvette on Sun 03 Dec 17 09:29; edited 1 time in total. [3 %]
--------------------
Stephen J Irons
CCCUK Lifetime Member
Corvette Club France
Corvettes of Southern California
NCM Family Member
Stephen & June's Web Site
Red Corvettes Have More Fun!

Apple IS Genisys!
The "Born-Again Greenies" are killing the planet! It's time to wake up and smell the rain-forest burning!

roscobbc

Committee Member

Sun 03 Dec 17 10:41

Nice detailed response Stephen Thumbs up some at this point choose the led bulb option - kinda fit-it & forget Scratchchin

--------------------
CCCUK Chairman & Editor, Vette News
'68 coupe - 4 speed - 3.08 - 489 cu in - 570 bhp @ 5850 rpm - 606 ft/lbs torque (821 Newton Metres) @ 3850 rpm

frogeyeman

Club Member

Sun 03 Dec 17 23:06

Thanks for your responses. I did not think it would be possible to remove bulb without taking some part of the dash out. I will get the bulbs from Claremont before I start the job. I assume that you can get an LED to replace the original bulb? I will ask Tom about it. Thanks for your help. Thumbs up

Reply to topic
View previous topicEmail to a FriendPrinter FriendlyPrivate MessengerView next topic

Permissions