ShipMyCar.co.uk

Website Control

Recent threads

New Forum Posts

» CCCUK East Sussex monthly meeting in August by Sea5 on Mon 20 Aug 18 22:41

» Lights by kentvette on Mon 20 Aug 18 18:12

» U-joint replacement by langlj00 on Mon 20 Aug 18 13:03

» Carpets for 56 C1 by vet80y on Mon 20 Aug 18 08:42

» Another 'nail in the coffin' for UK based motorsport by chevrolet on Sat 18 Aug 18 22:00

» Heads/cam by roppa440 on Sat 18 Aug 18 16:15

» Spare wheel light by Nigelcurry on Sat 18 Aug 18 11:34

» 2003 Anniversary Red and Shale Convertible. by Number3 on Fri 17 Aug 18 19:30

» BBCN Regional meet by Nicetie on Thu 16 Aug 18 19:47

» Tyres by roscobbc on Thu 16 Aug 18 13:02

» Drag event... by roppa440 on Thu 16 Aug 18 09:20

» 1989 C4 For Sale by RobBrom on Wed 15 Aug 18 19:56

» C5 Headlamp Adjusters "Golden Rods" by roppa440 on Wed 15 Aug 18 16:31

» Shooting for 1000whp with my C7 @ Top Cats Racing by Sierra on Tue 14 Aug 18 14:19

» C6 European Rear Light Conversion by Daytona Vette on Mon 13 Aug 18 16:42

» Full geo setup needed. by Daytona Vette on Mon 13 Aug 18 10:33

» C3 Side Exhaust Pipes by CaptainK on Mon 13 Aug 18 10:00

» Kit Kat wrappers don't make good insulation by CaptainK on Mon 13 Aug 18 09:52

» Head Unit Replacement by L88 on Sun 12 Aug 18 13:57

»  by Chris123 on Sun 12 Aug 18 12:24

» 1968 Door Handles by riddyboy on Sat 11 Aug 18 08:54

» Aircon fixed at last! by Daytona Vette on Fri 10 Aug 18 13:29

» Headlight Buckets by kentvette on Fri 10 Aug 18 09:40

» C3 Auto Box Issue Just Developed by Daytona Vette on Thu 09 Aug 18 22:52

» CCCUK West Sussex meeting tonight 9th August by Sea5 on Thu 09 Aug 18 18:27

» History of my vehicle VJD 5G by Bill Riches on Thu 09 Aug 18 16:58

» Borgeson steering box upgrade. by Skeets on Thu 09 Aug 18 13:19

» Cumbria classic (Dalemain House) car show. Sunday 19th August by 666Vette on Thu 09 Aug 18 12:26

» Concours of Elegance by curious bystander on Wed 08 Aug 18 16:47

» What did you do with your Vette today? by MIT on Wed 08 Aug 18 15:31

Drag Race your Corvette

Go to page: Previous / 1, 2, 3, 4 / Next

Reply to topic
View previous topicEmail to a FriendPrinter FriendlyView next topic

Poll - Would you be interested in a private weekday drag race event at Santa Pod

Yes - I'm definately interested 

63%

63% 

(21)

No - I am not interested 

36%

36% 

(12)

Total Votes: 33

Author

roppa440

Club Member

Thu 07 Dec 17 09:50

Re: Drag Race your Corvette

12 votes now. 9 for.

At the Mopars I tend to "race" on the Saturday only. Then just chill out, watch some real racing, and look around the "show and shine".

I didn't have any problem running on the Saturday. Start early is my tip. I actually ran my fastest time on my first run when I was one of the first cars up the track. Each run got slightly slower after that as the day went on.

roscobbc

Committee Member

Sun 17 Dec 17 13:38

850 plus CCCUK members should have received December's Vette News a week or so ago now and should have (hopefully) read about the proposed drag racing event for next year - and my request to vote and show interest (or otherwise) on the forum. The poll on here hasn't moved now for a couple weeks now - still only 13 people have replied to date - (thankyou to those of you who did respond) - I have to conclude the majority of our members are not the slightest bit interested in this............ Scratchchin

Last edited by roscobbc on Sun 17 Dec 17 13:42; edited 3 times in total. [12 %]
--------------------
CCCUK Chairman
'68 coupe - 4 speed - 3.08 - 489 cu in - 570 bhp @ 5850 rpm - 606 ft/lbs torque (821 Newton Metres) @ 3850 rpm

roppa440

Club Member

Sun 17 Dec 17 15:10

Some people think they might damage their car. Which is highly unlikely unless something was about to break anyway.
Personally I would rather that happens in a controlled situation like the strip with safety crews and medics on hand than have it happen on the motorway.

Another factor is probably the worry about looking a fool somehow. Like getting something wrong in front of a big crowd.

The reality is that if people actually try it they will find it is great fun. Pulling away from a green light and being able to keep your foot in to over 100mph in safety (and legally) is a great feeling.

Vetteheadtony

Club Member

Sun 17 Dec 17 19:59

I must have already voted on the poll as it don’t seem to let me vote now, anyway I’ll be locked and loaded and ready to upset some people, no names mentioned! Rofl

--------------------
Vetteheadtony
2004 Z06 lemans edition pro charged
613 BHP
Black C6 ZR1 wheels
FECKING FAST!!!

Redlevel

Club Member

Sun 17 Dec 17 21:29

roscobbc wrote (View Post):850 plus CCCUK members should have received December's Vette News a week or so ago now and should have (hopefully) read about the proposed drag racing event for next year - and my request to vote and show interest (or otherwise) on the forum. The poll on here hasn't moved now for a couple weeks now - still only 13 people have replied to date - (thankyou to those of you who did respond) - I have to conclude the majority of our members are not the slightest bit interested in this............ Scratchchin

You'd need to run your Nationals at a dragstrip to maybe make this work. Most I fear are only members just for an excellent mag and an insurance discount.

kentvette

Club Member

Mon 18 Dec 17 10:44

roscobbc wrote (View Post):850 plus CCCUK members should have received December's Vette News a week or so ago now and should have (hopefully) read about the proposed drag racing event for next year - and my request to vote and show interest (or otherwise) on the forum. The poll on here hasn't moved now for a couple weeks now - still only 13 people have replied to date - (thankyou to those of you who did respond) - I have to conclude the majority of our members are not the slightest bit interested in this............ Scratchchin

I confess I haven't voted - didn't want to skew the results, as we're not there!

We did the 0-60 runs many years ago at one of the Trax events - quite fun even though I wasn't fully "committed" and we had a coolbox and garden chairs in the car! Still managed to get down to with .5 of a second of the R&T testers 1978 time!

Not sure I'd do a full 1/4 mile (do they still use the 1/4 in the UK?) as the old girl is a good bit older now and the wallet is a lot thinner!

--------------------
Stephen J Irons
CCCUK Lifetime Member
Corvette Club France
Corvettes of Southern California
NCM Family Member
Stephen & June's Web Site
Red Corvettes Have More Fun!

Apple IS Genisys!
The "Born-Again Greenies" are killing the planet! It's time to wake up and smell the rain-forest burning!

roppa440

Club Member

Mon 18 Dec 17 11:01

kentvette wrote (View Post):
Not sure I'd do a full 1/4 mile (do they still use the 1/4 in the UK?) as the old girl is a good bit older now and the wallet is a lot thinner!

0-60 is the bit that puts the most strain on a cars engine and drivetrain. Probably nearly half way on a drag strip to.

The rest if the quarter mile is no different to overtaking on an A-Road.

Yes Santa Pod is a full quarter mile. 440 yards. Or 1320 feet.

You probably would end up not going much faster than you do when overtaking on the motorway. 80-90mph? So if you are worried the car couldn't do that it shouldn't really be on the road at all? Scratchchin

666Vette

Committee Member

Mon 18 Dec 17 13:38

roppa440 wrote (View Post):
0-60 is the bit that puts the most strain on a cars engine and drivetrain

and the drivers ticker Willy

--------------------
Cheers
Allen

roscobbc

Committee Member

Mon 18 Dec 17 13:46

0-60's are for pussies - the 40-100's sort men from, er' lesser men silly

--------------------
CCCUK Chairman
'68 coupe - 4 speed - 3.08 - 489 cu in - 570 bhp @ 5850 rpm - 606 ft/lbs torque (821 Newton Metres) @ 3850 rpm

666Vette

Committee Member

Mon 18 Dec 17 13:48

roppa440 wrote (View Post):Some people think they might damage their car. ................

Another factor is probably the worry about looking a fool somehow. Like getting something wrong in front of a big crowd.

I'm probably a bit of both of the above, but (showing my ignorance here) - I presume as I drive a convertible I would be excluded anyway as I don't have a full roll protection system other than the front screen?? Confused

--------------------
Cheers
Allen

Reply to topic
View previous topicEmail to a FriendPrinter FriendlyPrivate MessengerView next topic

Go to page: Previous / 1, 2, 3, 4 / Next

Permissions