CCCUK logo

Lancaster Insurance

Website Control

Recent threads

New Forum Posts

» Brooklands American Day by curious bystander on Thu 14 Dec 17 21:17

» Medway Festival of Steam and Transport by curious bystander on Thu 14 Dec 17 21:09

» Motorfest - Weston Park Shropshire by curious bystander on Thu 14 Dec 17 21:02

» Race Retro - Stoneleigh Park by curious bystander on Thu 14 Dec 17 20:45

» Classic Sports Car Show - London by curious bystander on Thu 14 Dec 17 20:27

» 'Missing' Vette by roscobbc on Thu 14 Dec 17 18:24

» New Corvette pricing including ZR1 by roscobbc on Thu 14 Dec 17 17:54

» War Bonnet Yellow Paint Supplier by autocolor on Thu 14 Dec 17 17:53

» Selling items on this Website by Bowler on Thu 14 Dec 17 16:45

» End of build clear out by Stinky Bob on Thu 14 Dec 17 14:58

» Ropey C3's .... Where to Paint? by stevel98 on Thu 14 Dec 17 12:23

» Dry winter drives by stevel98 on Wed 13 Dec 17 15:47

» Insurance recommenations by 666Vette on Wed 13 Dec 17 12:23

» Cruising in the US by Texastrike on Wed 13 Dec 17 11:00

» Goodwood Revival - 2018 by curious bystander on Tue 12 Dec 17 22:40

» Goodwood Festival of Speed by curious bystander on Tue 12 Dec 17 22:30

» Club Magazine by GateMaster on Tue 12 Dec 17 16:28

» Header recommendations (side mount) by stevel98 on Tue 12 Dec 17 14:55

» Alternators and Starters by stevel98 on Tue 12 Dec 17 13:11

» CCCUK East Sussex December Xmas Meeting by Sea5 on Tue 12 Dec 17 11:29

» CCCUK West Sussex Xmas Meeting and Dinner by Sea5 on Tue 12 Dec 17 11:06

» 1974 corvette c3 auto for sale by CaptainK on Mon 11 Dec 17 15:38

» Corvette-Fame 13-14-15 July 2018 - Valkenburg a/d Geul Netherlands by JonnyC4 on Sun 10 Dec 17 18:48

» Problem using Website by JonnyC4 on Sun 10 Dec 17 18:44

» 1976 C3 5.7L Auto For Sale by born2bmild on Sun 10 Dec 17 10:52

» Cheeeeap ZR1 by Nogbad on Sat 09 Dec 17 17:05

» Silverstone Classic - 20/21/22 July 2018 by curious bystander on Fri 08 Dec 17 19:41

» !FOR SALE 1976 Corvette SURVIVOR 42k one owner. by Vetteheadtony on Fri 08 Dec 17 17:53

» For Sale C5 OEM Steering Wheel Airbag SOLD! by dex99 on Thu 07 Dec 17 15:02

» C+SC Show with Flywheel - Bicester Heritage Centre by curious bystander on Thu 07 Dec 17 14:43

Cruising in the US

Go to page: 1, 2 / Next

Reply to topic
View previous topicEmail to a FriendPrinter FriendlyView next topic

Author

beerglasses

Club Member

Wed 06 Dec 17 14:52

Cruising in the US

Hi All,
Once again I need your help and you guys have a 100% success record to all my requests in the past.

On September 1 st 2018 I am planning to fly to the States to start a three month road trip with my 18 year old daughter who is taking a gap year.

Starting in Chicago with Route 66 then on to San Francisco, Vegas, Grand Canyon, Yosemite.
Next is Highway 1 , New Mexico , Texas...and if possible Memphis to New Orleans via Highway 61.

To do this I plan to buy an old 2003/2004 Cadillac in the US. The problem I need solving is how do I insure the car
A friend has offered his business address in North Carolina and I presume the car has to be insured in the state where it is registered. ...so obviously buying in Ohio makes much more sense....
I plan to obtain an International driving license and also need AAA membership. If anyone can give me advice It will be gladly received.

Regards and thanks

Beerglasses

kentvette

Club Member

Wed 06 Dec 17 16:41

Re: Cruising in the US

Simon, that sounds like a "real" trip!

Can't help you with insurance stuff, but one thing I would say is to check CA Highway 1 is open. There was a huge rock fall south of Big Sur a year or so ago and the re-build of the road and cliffs is taking a long time!

And, if you're an Elvis fan, try and get to Tupelo MS, where his "childhood home" is a super little museum. And some great stuff to see in the "Four Corners" area.

I trust you'll include a stop at the NCM! Thumbs up

--------------------
Stephen J Irons
CCCUK Lifetime Member
Corvette Club France
Corvettes of Southern California
NCM Family Member
Stephen & June's Web Site
Red Corvettes Have More Fun!

Apple IS Genisys!
The "Born-Again Greenies" are killing the planet! It's time to wake up and smell the rain-forest burning!

stevel98

Awww... join the CCCUK!

Wed 06 Dec 17 17:05

Bugger!! Rolling Eyes

We're heading to California next year in May. If I'm right, Big Sur is between Monterey and LA and I was looking forward to that drive down to LA and the long desert drive to LV.

First time for me anyway as M has been to the US lots of times. Big culture shock too as a holiday for me is usually walking and cycling down UK canals and coastal paths with a bit of ancient architecture thrown in!

Scratchchin

beerglasses

Club Member

Wed 06 Dec 17 17:36

Thanks for the heads up re: Highway 1. As we are there for 90 days just to go where we please I have a very full itinerary of possibilities.... HWY 61 from Memphis to N.Orleans is in the plan...which passes through Tupelo..and also the Rosedale crossroads where Robert Johnson sold his soul to the Devil !!!...then Nashville/Bowling Green...ending up in Charlotte N. Carolina for the NASCAR.

The insurance question is becoming a bit of a problem. I have contacted dealers on the web who have this type of car for sale and start the interactive chat. As soon as they read I am a foreigner they sever the connection. I have a Canadian passport and address there so may end up starting in Toronto.

....anyway if anyone has any ideas please keep firing them this way.

Regards

Simon

5 USA

Club Member

Wed 06 Dec 17 20:24

Personal opinions,

* I wouldn't go through all the hassle of buying, registering, insuring and running an old car when the US is full of reasonably priced rentals.

* In the urban areas Route 66 is little more than a forgotten dream. Between Oklahoma City and Flagstaff there's a lot more open country in which fragments of Route 66 survive.

* On or near Route 66 make sure you don't miss Sedona and Santa Fe, both well worth a visit.

* For such a major road trip make sure you have excellent 24hr breakdown cover either through the hire company or bought separately if you're in your own car.

* Once you get out into the boonies mobile phone coverage can be pretty hit-and-miss.

* Be careful counting days for your 3 month planned trip. The 90 day maximum is calculated on a rolling 12 months so if you've been to the US in 2017 those days might be counted in.

* Make sure you have a convincing story and clearly planned trip/finances to avoid any hiccups in Immigration.

* Hwy 1 was certainly closed at Big Sur earlier this year and the Pfeiffer Bridge was due to re-open in the autumn. However, A quick google suggests there are still significant road closures through 2018. check carefully.

--------------------
The Stingray has landed!

FIVE RED

Club Member

Wed 06 Dec 17 21:27

Did part of Route 66 some years ago from the start in Chicago to St. Louis. As you get further west there is less of the old road to actually drive on but through Illinois to Missouri there's loads of it, often running alongside the interstate. Points of interest are many but we sought out the Gemini Giant in Wilmington, Lauterbach Tyres, Bunyan's statue, Dixie Truck Stop, Cosy Dog Diner, Funks Grove for maple syrup and Shea's Gas Station. Sadly the latter is now closed, a real shame but we were privileged to meet old Bill Shea, a Route 66 legend. Don't miss the museum in the old fire station in Pontiac, the wall murals around town are very impressive.
We used a Harley guide map alongside other books etc, proved to be spot on.
In Chicago your first night must be spent at Blue Chicago on North Clark. http://www.bluechicago.com/
Enjoy.

--------------------
Graham.
C5 owner & very happy about it!

curious bystander

Committee Member

Wed 06 Dec 17 21:34

This idea might be a bit cheeky but have you thought of getting in touch with Alan Lewis at Fantastic Roads?

He might have some answers to your questions

--------------------
79 L82 Auto

Having a lot of bhp is all very well, but on these forums it's torque that counts

Events Co-ordinator

Alan305

Club Member

Thu 07 Dec 17 09:05

I agree with others, rent the car for that period, rather than buy.
Route 66 west of Oklahoma is best.
Highway 1 is spectacular but will take longer than you think to drive down.
Going in September will limit your access to Yosemite.
Don’t forget Monument Valley, better than Grand Canyon in my opinion.
Death Valley will be nice and hot but you will need to book a hotel now to get in.
Add the Florida keys and lots of days in the Washington museums.
Don’t forget Bowling Green.
Check out NASCAR at PIR, the Arizona weather will be better at that time of year, and the circuit is second only to Daytona. (In my opinion having seen Mansell in Indy cars and NASCAR there.)
3 months won’t be enough.

Last edited by Alan305 on Thu 07 Dec 17 09:18; edited 4 times in total. [28 %]
--------------------
"what could possibly go wrong"

kentvette

Club Member

Thu 07 Dec 17 09:51

beerglasses wrote (View Post):Thanks for the heads up re: Highway 1. As we are there for 90 days just to go where we please I have a very full itinerary of possibilities.... HWY 61 from Memphis to N.Orleans is in the plan...which passes through Tupelo..and also the Rosedale crossroads where Robert Johnson sold his soul to the Devil !!!...then Nashville/Bowling Green...ending up in Charlotte N. Carolina for the NASCAR.

The insurance question is becoming a bit of a problem. I have contacted dealers on the web who have this type of car for sale and start the interactive chat. As soon as they read I am a foreigner they sever the connection. I have a Canadian passport and address there so may end up starting in Toronto.

....anyway if anyone has any ideas please keep firing them this way.

Regards

Simon

Canadian passport? Surprised Smile

We've done Route 66 a couple of times, end to end, and the sections west of Texas about 4 times. Great! (I have a list of good books to read!) I guess you'll do Gracelands? Memphis is super, ride the tram and the Civil Rights Museum is an absolute must!

If you can find Reggie D Hunter's 3 part BBC TV series on The South, it worth a look. And, check out Guy Fieri's "Diners' Drive-Ins and Dives" website for soem great food joints "all across America!"

We did a guided "architetural tour" on the EL in Chicago, on a Sunday morning I think. Great stuff.

Soooo much to see on your trip!

--------------------
Stephen J Irons
CCCUK Lifetime Member
Corvette Club France
Corvettes of Southern California
NCM Family Member
Stephen & June's Web Site
Red Corvettes Have More Fun!

Apple IS Genisys!
The "Born-Again Greenies" are killing the planet! It's time to wake up and smell the rain-forest burning!

z06_tim

Club Member

Thu 07 Dec 17 11:31

I would call the AAA office in the location you wish to register your car to talk through the options with them. The stumbling block may be, what do you use as your home address, as I'm not sure your mates business address will be good enough. They should be helpful though, as they probably want to take your money for break-down membership, and a bigger sum for insurance.

I would also call a State Farm insurance office, asking the same of them. You don't want to go to the hassle of buying a car then realising you can't insure it!

Remember when you buy a car you will need to register at the Secretary of State (or DMV) Office, and you will likely have to pay sales tax (depending on state), before they will issue your license plate and tags. This is going to be really difficult if you don't have the right drivers license and vehicle title (both with your address). I suspect this is why the dealers are unhelpful (as they do all of this normally) - may be better off buying privately, especially for the age of car you mention.

I also think you'll be better off renting. All the rental firms do better rates for longer periods.

Just to add to all the great recommendations on here, we did a road-trip from Denver, taking in Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Canyonlands and Arches National Parks. Moab was a nice place to stay, and we found a great little back road through Castle Valley (like a mini Monument Valley). We didn't have time on this trip, but you could also cover Monument Valley, Pikes Peak and Bonneville Salt Flat Speed Week in this general area.

--------------------
2001 Z06, 1994 LT1 (sold)
Alfa 147 GTA daily driver.

Reply to topic
View previous topicEmail to a FriendPrinter FriendlyPrivate MessengerView next topic

Go to page: 1, 2 / Next

Permissions