» Numbers matching by paj66 on Fri 23 Feb 18 11:39

» How it's made - Corvette Stingray by FIVE RED on Fri 23 Feb 18 11:29

» Does anyone recognise this Vert by MIKERED on Fri 23 Feb 18 10:09

» The Scottish Car Show 15th July 2018 by roppa440 on Fri 23 Feb 18 09:55

» Engine bay by Nigelcurry on Fri 23 Feb 18 09:16

» OBD connector ? 1 or 2 by stevel98 on Fri 23 Feb 18 09:08

» 1960 C1 steering box by paj66 on Thu 22 Feb 18 17:50

» London 'T' charge by roscobbc on Thu 22 Feb 18 17:35

» Tewkesbury Classic Vehicle Festival by curious bystander on Thu 22 Feb 18 17:30

» RockAuto.com Discount Code for Parts & More - Expires April 4, 2018 by Rich on Thu 22 Feb 18 16:00

» "Breakfast Club" Meeting - March by Bowler on Thu 22 Feb 18 14:18

» London Classic Car Show - 15th-18th February 2018 by Fishy Dave on Wed 21 Feb 18 15:00

» Letter of conformity by Barrelmaker on Tue 20 Feb 18 21:04

» The Mods continue on my C7 by C7KEN on Tue 20 Feb 18 18:42

» New road tax regs.. by CaptainK on Tue 20 Feb 18 08:55

» What do you carry? by CaptainK on Tue 20 Feb 18 08:47

About to buy a C6

Reply to topic
View previous topicEmail to a FriendPrinter FriendlyView next topic

Author

Fishy Dave

Club Member

Thu 18 Jan 18 12:02

About to buy a C6

Hello all,

It's been a while since I posted on here. Over the last year I've maintained the trio of BMW (Z4M, E30 race car and E46 325ti) and enjoyed near total reliability. The E30 did a full season of races, with just a fuel pump malady to spoil a certain class win mid season.

With a house purchase coming up (finally, at the age of 40!) the fleet needed to be reviewed. The race car and trailer sold last week and the Z4M will go in the spring (the best all round car I've owned to date).
The reason for this thread comes as a result of a memorable road trip my wife and I took around California just over a year ago, the highlight being a trackday at Laguna Seca. As well as driving a Z4M I was also cheeky enough to ask for a passenger ride in a Corvette C6 Grandsport. It left an impression and made a great noise.

Even whilst on that holiday I started looking for cars for sale! I was considering both C5 Coupe, C5 Z06 and C6 (ideally Z51), it had to be a manual which rather narrows the choice over here. My wife and I took a test drive in a base model C6 with Ian Allen earlier last year, but decided we didn't want to spend 23k, especially as a house purchase become more likely. I therefore decided to look at the cheaper end of the market and would import a car myself, coming close to going for high mileage C5.
Whilst browsing the web in bed at midnight, before Christmas I found a one owner, high mileage C6 for just $9995. I got in there quick but was just beaten into second refusal which was sickening. As luck would have it the first gentleman didn't come up with the deposit so I got a text at 03:45 the next day saying 'I've got smashing news for you, please call me'. After a 4am phone call to the owner in California I'd agreed to buy it and paid the deposit. Very exciting, resulting in no sleep for the rest of the night so I was in work early!
Since then their has been a lot of work arranging the necessary insurance (Geico), flights, accommodation, ESTA, shipping (I've used ShipMyCar), parts for UK conversion etc. etc.
The seller owns three Corvette including a new C7, he has been offered thousands of dollars more since I paid the deposit but he has been honourable and continued with our existing agreement.

We fly out to LA this Sunday, detour around the currently closed 101 (rock and mudslide) on Monday, collect the car and then over the next 9 days drive just under 2500 miles via California, Arizona, Utah, New Mexico and Texas to include Monument Valley, Route 66, horse riding at a ranch and a trackday at Circuit Of The Americas. I drop the car at the port at Houston then fly to Nashville, pick up a hire car, drive to the Corvette factory and museum at Bowling Green, fly on to New York and then home.
I should get the car back after its Atlantic journey at the end of February hopefully, exciting!

Excluding the cost of the holiday/road trip the car will probably cost me just under 13,000 which I consider to be pretty good for 400bhp as standard and a rumbling 6 litre V8 soundtrack. I just hope I've not bought a pup! I will do a proper write up with photos for the magazine if it's of interest?

Regards, Dave

Invetterate

Club Member

Thu 18 Jan 18 13:28

Re: About to buy a C6

Looks absolutely splendid! Hope you enjoy every mile! Yes Thumbs up

Dieter Orton

Club Member

Fri 19 Jan 18 11:47

I have owned my C6 for nearly 11 years and it is my daily driver, if I ever get tired of the pleasure it gives I will be most surprised.Enjoy Dieter

Nick B

Club Member

Fri 19 Jan 18 11:59

Looks the bizzo Dave. Thumbs up

Fishy Dave

Club Member

Fri 19 Jan 18 22:46

Thank you all, we're all set to fly over on Sunday. We're excited!

--------------------
2007 C6 Manual

Fishy Dave

Club Member

Thu 01 Feb 18 14:50

We got back yesterday, it was a superb trip and we are very pleased with the C6. Aside from 500ml of coolant needed, it drove the 2250 miles perfectly.
We dropped it to the shipping agent on Monday, shipmycar.co.uk said it will take 6 to 8 weeks to get it to the UK, does that sound about right?

Cheers, Dave

Number3

Club Member

Thu 01 Feb 18 20:36

Mine took about 8 weeks, it took the scenic route around the med. Smile

JJVETTE

Regular

Fri 02 Feb 18 11:20

Hi,

C6 looks lovely , only downside maybe that HMRC will want 10% & 20% VAT ontop of all your associated charges inc purchase price....

Thanks

Jeff

Fishy Dave

Club Member

Fri 02 Feb 18 16:51

Thanks, yes, I'm expecting to pay both, I don't have the figures to hand but have had a quote. Thankfully the purchase price was genuinely so cheap that it's not too scary a price to pay to her majesty. Smile

Reply to topic
View previous topicEmail to a FriendPrinter FriendlyPrivate MessengerView next topic

Permissions