CCCUK logo

Lancaster Insurance

Website Control

Recent threads

New Forum Posts

» A rather fast C2 vette by Forrest Gump on Fri 20 Jul 18 22:20

» Damn Yankees Summer Slam - North Weald by roscobbc on Fri 20 Jul 18 21:04

» 1978 C3 Corvette Silver Anniversary L82 Automatic by geoff917 on Fri 20 Jul 18 17:08

» International Corvette & Camaro Meeting 2019 - 20th Anniversary by Alexa-Italy on Fri 20 Jul 18 16:31

» New member in Retford, Notts.......! by IbanezDan51 on Fri 20 Jul 18 11:21

» Valkenberg - A Beschi family tribute by JonnyC4 on Thu 19 Jul 18 20:48

» Vulcan Tour 2018 by Bowler on Thu 19 Jul 18 12:58

» C5 Z06 centre caps? by yenko 1969 on Thu 19 Jul 18 11:11

» 15x8 OEM Rally wheels by Ddave on Thu 19 Jul 18 08:44

» Silverstone Classic - 20/21/22 July 2018 by curious bystander on Thu 19 Jul 18 08:23

» Looking for a C6 Z06 by IbanezDan51 on Wed 18 Jul 18 23:56

» BBCN Regional Meet by Nicetie on Wed 18 Jul 18 22:58

» Buying a C6 Convertible.... Or more likely a Targa Top by chevrolet on Tue 17 Jul 18 22:18

» For Sale - C4 '84-'86 E (Early) Solid Roof by chevrolet on Tue 17 Jul 18 20:30

» Corvette-Fame 13-14-15 July 2018 by JonnyC4 on Tue 17 Jul 18 18:06

» Spare wheel kit 74 by BertieGas on Mon 16 Jul 18 23:40

» Developing Starter Issue by kentvette on Mon 16 Jul 18 18:41

» Shooting for 1000whp with my C7 @ Top Cats Racing by roppa440 on Mon 16 Jul 18 15:07

» Black '68 by Jan25 on Mon 16 Jul 18 10:23

» What did you do with your Vette today? by roppa440 on Mon 16 Jul 18 09:39

» Garage services required for a C3 in the NW by Daytona Vette on Sun 15 Jul 18 20:06

» NEC Classic Car Show - Birmingham by 86vetteman on Sat 14 Jul 18 22:39

» C4 coupe wanted by Redridge Corvette on Sat 14 Jul 18 21:54

»  by Nosheruk on Sat 14 Jul 18 17:44

» How to post a photo in the forums by Nosheruk on Sat 14 Jul 18 17:38

» New member, new c3 on order! by Forrest Gump on Sat 14 Jul 18 12:06

» C5 seat refurbishment by roscobbc on Sat 14 Jul 18 09:29

» Classic + Vintage Vehicle Festival - Peterborough by curious bystander on Fri 13 Jul 18 17:35

» R/H door lock mech and clip by MIT on Fri 13 Jul 18 16:53

» What modern spark plugs for 1973 454? by roscobbc on Fri 13 Jul 18 00:43

indicator problem

Reply to topic
View previous topicEmail to a FriendPrinter FriendlyView next topic

Author

damc3

Club Member

Sat 12 May 18 10:48

indicator problem

my 77 c3"s indicator wiring seems to have been hacked about with Banghead its got a brand new switch fitted by me and a new flasher unit but the direction lights on the dash just light up but don't flash ! which is what the lamps do as well ..the hazards work fine as I know they are on a different circuit but the large parking lights at the front have had the lenses painted with amber paint /laquer .. and the bulb holders which fit into these lenses have got 3 wires ..2 live and an earth with a twin filament bulb ..one wire has been disconnected so the bulb will work as the indicator in the lamp ( hope im not making it complicated !!) so im wondering if the wire that's been disconnected needs to be re connected to make a circuit ? any help would be great as im pulling my hair out here and ive not got much left !! lol oh and its also got some after market lamps fitted into the grille which come on for the sidelights but aren't very bright ..I can post pictures later if it helps .cheers Thumbs up dave ...ps if anyones local to me in Manchester I will gladly pay to have someone look at it my postcode is m329ga Thumbs up

Grahamred70

Club Member

Sat 12 May 18 13:34

If the 77 side lights are the same as my 70, I had clear lenses with twin filament amber bulbs, 5W for side and 15W for indicator, all I did was fit switchback led bulbs which show white for the sidelight and amber for the indicator, when indicating with the lights on the white and amber alternate. You'll need to carefully remove the amber coating from your lenses for them to work correctly, hope this helps.
Graham

--------------------
Graham, red 1970 convertible 350

kentvette

Club Member

Sat 12 May 18 13:55

Re: indicator problem

I think that by '77 the lights were same as on my 78, and similar to Graham's. The original lamp unit had a dual filament bulb, white lenses and white bulbs. I added a lamp in the grill for indicators, so moved the power feed from the original unit and added an earth.

I doubt that having the arrangement you have would stop the flashing. My thoughts as a non expert on electrics would be flasher unit related. The original unit is a bi-metal unit, not electric. You'd need the correct flasher unit to make them flash. I understand that you can convert to an electric unit, with additional wiring?

Similarly, with the original flasher unit, LED bulbs sometimes make it flash too fast, as they do not have the same resistance.

Out of interest, are the front side markers still wired into the indicator circuit on yours? I had to remove mine, as they flashed alternately to the front units (illegal in the UK), but have since re-wired them as additional indicators, and taken them out of the side light circuit.

--------------------
Stephen J Irons
CCCUK Lifetime Member
Corvette Club France
Corvettes of Southern California
NCM Family Member
Stephen & June's Web Site
Red Corvettes Have More Fun!

Apple IS Genisys!
The "Born-Again Greenies" are killing the planet! It's time to wake up and smell the rain-forest burning!

damc3

Club Member

Sat 12 May 18 15:42

woo hoo its sorted Willy I tried a different flasher unit and It seems to have done the trick ..thanks for your help guys much appreciated Smile heres the unit I fitted Thumbs up

kentvette

Club Member

Sun 13 May 18 17:38

Nice one!

Where did you get that fancy transparent flasher unit? Hope you fitted it somewhere you can see it working! Very Happy Very Happy

--------------------
Stephen J Irons
CCCUK Lifetime Member
Corvette Club France
Corvettes of Southern California
NCM Family Member
Stephen & June's Web Site
Red Corvettes Have More Fun!

Apple IS Genisys!
The "Born-Again Greenies" are killing the planet! It's time to wake up and smell the rain-forest burning!

damc3

Club Member

Sun 13 May 18 22:11

good ol ebay Thumbs up and I didn't think to watch it working !! that's a job for tomorrow Laughing

Reply to topic
View previous topicEmail to a FriendPrinter FriendlyPrivate MessengerView next topic

Permissions