CCCUK logo

Adrian Flux

Website Control

Recent threads

New Forum Posts

» New member in Retford, Notts.......! by IbanezDan51 on Fri 20 Jul 18 11:21

» A rather fast C2 vette by Invetterate on Fri 20 Jul 18 08:10

» Valkenberg - A Beschi family tribute by JonnyC4 on Thu 19 Jul 18 20:48

» International Corvette & Camaro Meeting 2019 - 20th Anniversary by Alexa-Italy on Thu 19 Jul 18 14:46

» Vulcan Tour 2018 by Bowler on Thu 19 Jul 18 12:58

» C5 Z06 centre caps? by yenko 1969 on Thu 19 Jul 18 11:11

» 15x8 OEM Rally wheels by Ddave on Thu 19 Jul 18 08:44

» Silverstone Classic - 20/21/22 July 2018 by curious bystander on Thu 19 Jul 18 08:23

» Looking for a C6 Z06 by IbanezDan51 on Wed 18 Jul 18 23:56

» BBCN Regional Meet by Nicetie on Wed 18 Jul 18 22:58

» Buying a C6 Convertible.... Or more likely a Targa Top by chevrolet on Tue 17 Jul 18 22:18

» For Sale - C4 '84-'86 E (Early) Solid Roof by chevrolet on Tue 17 Jul 18 20:30

» Corvette-Fame 13-14-15 July 2018 by JonnyC4 on Tue 17 Jul 18 18:06

» Spare wheel kit 74 by BertieGas on Mon 16 Jul 18 23:40

» Developing Starter Issue by kentvette on Mon 16 Jul 18 18:41

» Shooting for 1000whp with my C7 @ Top Cats Racing by roppa440 on Mon 16 Jul 18 15:07

» Black '68 by Jan25 on Mon 16 Jul 18 10:23

» What did you do with your Vette today? by roppa440 on Mon 16 Jul 18 09:39

» Garage services required for a C3 in the NW by Daytona Vette on Sun 15 Jul 18 20:06

» NEC Classic Car Show - Birmingham by 86vetteman on Sat 14 Jul 18 22:39

» C4 coupe wanted by Redridge Corvette on Sat 14 Jul 18 21:54

»  by Nosheruk on Sat 14 Jul 18 17:44

» How to post a photo in the forums by Nosheruk on Sat 14 Jul 18 17:38

» New member, new c3 on order! by Forrest Gump on Sat 14 Jul 18 12:06

» C5 seat refurbishment by roscobbc on Sat 14 Jul 18 09:29

» Classic + Vintage Vehicle Festival - Peterborough by curious bystander on Fri 13 Jul 18 17:35

» R/H door lock mech and clip by MIT on Fri 13 Jul 18 16:53

» What modern spark plugs for 1973 454? by roscobbc on Fri 13 Jul 18 00:43

» Insurance by MIT on Thu 12 Jul 18 21:44

» Modified C5 for Sale by Sinatra21 on Thu 12 Jul 18 11:49

New member, new c3 on order!

Go to page: Previous / 1, 2, 3, 4

Reply to topic
View previous topicEmail to a FriendPrinter FriendlyView next topic

Author

MIT

Club Member

Wed 11 Jul 18 12:48

Re: New member, new c3 on order!

Cheers guys.
Iíll take a few pics when I do the Borgeson install, doesnít look that bad a job, providing the column collapses ok. Hoping to be able to leave it in situe but will see. My concern at the mo is the stainless headers, Iíve heard they can interfere with the slightly larger box, and people effectively putting a dent in them to clear with a hammer! Doh

--------------------
Tim.

74 coupe.

kentvette

Club Member

Thu 12 Jul 18 10:50

Tim

I suspect that you "enjoy" the headers, but we used to have them on our '78. After enduring the head produced inside inside the car, plus the noise, when the opportunity arose to obtain a set of the stock manifolds we jumped at the chance! The difference was amazing - much quieter inside the car, and a whole lot cooler!

I know you have a fancy cam etc, so maybe the headers are part of the package, but its nota route I'd go down again, certainly not on a "regular street car".

Yes, photos of the Borgenson install will be interesting - good luck!

--------------------
Stephen J Irons
CCCUK Lifetime Member
Corvette Club France
Corvettes of Southern California
NCM Family Member
Stephen & June's Web Site
Red Corvettes Have More Fun!

Apple IS Genisys!
The "Born-Again Greenies" are killing the planet! It's time to wake up and smell the rain-forest burning!

Daytona Vette

Club Member

Thu 12 Jul 18 16:15

MIT wrote (View Post):Cheers guys.
Iíll take a few pics when I do the Borgeson install, doesnít look that bad a job, providing the column collapses ok. Hoping to be able to leave it in situe but will see. My concern at the mo is the stainless headers, Iíve heard they can interfere with the slightly larger box, and people effectively putting a dent in them to clear with a hammer! Doh

Get a Dolly the shape of the required dent and hit the Dolly, you may want to remove the Header first rather than cause stress damage in other areas (joints / threads etc).

--------------------
Barry - Daytona Vette

Daytona Vette

Club Member

Thu 12 Jul 18 16:23

[quote="kentvette";p="149812"]Tim

I suspect that you "enjoy" the headers, but we used to have them on our '78. After enduring the head produced inside inside the car, plus the noise, when the opportunity arose to obtain a set of the stock manifolds we jumped at the chance! The difference was amazing - much quieter inside the car, and a whole lot cooler!

I have a 78 Big block with Headers and I do not have a heat problem, maybe it is just me and what I am used to, but then in the recent heatwave here, I am using the AC, but then that is the same for the daily driver.

If you ceramic coat the inside of Headers that will reduce the transmission of heat, especially good if you are running chrome Headers as it stops the blueing of the chrome.

--------------------
Barry - Daytona Vette

roscobbc

Committee Member

Thu 12 Jul 18 17:43

Despite the detrimental remarks that people make about headers - specifically the heat generated - my experience differs.......when I installed a set of 'small' tube Hedman headers on my '68 427 the engine bay and coolant temperature actually reduced a little. Much later when I installed the modded 489, using the same 1 7/8" headers it was much the same. I'm not saying the car was cool inside - because it certainly wasn't (and isn't now) I 'cook' in the car during summer trips - removal of T tops and rear window is essential for every trip. A much later change to 2 1/4" ceramic coated Hooker Super Comps hasn't really changed anything (other than upper-end performance) - they are certainly have a cooler case temperature than uncoated headers (still hot in relative terms though) they don't make that 'pinging' sound that is characteristic of tube headers. I was pleasantly surprised how well the car coped with the 30 degree temperature of the Nats weekend.
I define 'hot' as sitting in the car in a traffic jam - looking forward through the windscreen at distant objects and it's like one of those mirage scenes in a desert - everything you look at is distorted and 'shimmering' - when you eventually move off the heat that then blows back from under the dashboard is sufficient to make you eyes 'water' Yes

--------------------
CCCUK Chairman
'68 coupe - 4 speed - 3.08 - 489 cu in - 570 bhp @ 5850 rpm - 606 ft/lbs torque (821 Newton Metres) @ 3850 rpm

MIT

Club Member

Thu 12 Jul 18 21:37

My headers are ceramic coated, and my concern was damaging this finish if I had to shape them. But might not be necessary.
Heat wise, I went on a 20 mile trip when it was hot, and didnít notice any problems in the car, but Iíve not sat in traffic yet.
The noise is a bit too much for me, a real drone in the car at lower revs, Iím going to pop into my local custom exhaust shop and change the Flowmaster back boxes for something less dramatic at some point. Iím going to the show at north Weald in a week so will see how it goes, and what mpg I get!

--------------------
Tim.

74 coupe.

roscobbc

Committee Member

Thu 12 Jul 18 23:40

MIT wrote (View Post):My headers are ceramic coated, and my concern was damaging this finish if I had to shape them. But might not be necessary.
Heat wise, I went on a 20 mile trip when it was hot, and didnít notice any problems in the car, but Iíve not sat in traffic yet.
The noise is a bit too much for me, a real drone in the car at lower revs, Iím going to pop into my local custom exhaust shop and change the Flowmaster back boxes for something less dramatic at some point. Iím going to the show at north Weald in a week so will see how it goes, and what mpg I get!

A good number of us Essex boys should be there - I used Jetex mufflers on mine a number of years ago - were very quiet on a light throttle - and nice and strident without being too loud when pushing-on.
https://www.jetex.co.uk/custom-exhaust-parts/
Rule is to select longest/largest diameter casing to keep noise down. I selected one that was more or less the same size as stock.

--------------------
CCCUK Chairman
'68 coupe - 4 speed - 3.08 - 489 cu in - 570 bhp @ 5850 rpm - 606 ft/lbs torque (821 Newton Metres) @ 3850 rpm

MIT

Club Member

Fri 13 Jul 18 16:50

Cheers, Iíll look into that.
Do I need to pay up front for the show, or on the door?

--------------------
Tim.

74 coupe.

Forrest Gump

Regional Rep

Sat 14 Jul 18 12:06

MIT wrote (View Post):Do I need to pay up front for the show, or on the door?

Hi Tim, it's pay at the gate. I'll be in touch during the week re times.
Hopefully this weather will hold out.

Andy

--------------------
Blue '75

Reply to topic
View previous topicEmail to a FriendPrinter FriendlyPrivate MessengerView next topic

Go to page: Previous / 1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions