» WTB: C6 Auto Coupe For Sale? by Atomic UK on Fri 09 Nov 18 02:27

» Spring Compressor by L88 on Thu 08 Nov 18 22:01

» My Ideal Vette by Jack75 on Thu 08 Nov 18 16:59

» Refurbishing wheels, factory finish by RumblinRon on Thu 08 Nov 18 13:45

» Visual differences US and Export models? by BlackZeD on Thu 08 Nov 18 13:28

» Help with newly acquired 72 350 Auto by Jimbo64 on Wed 07 Nov 18 16:52

» Coilovers by Daytona Vette on Wed 07 Nov 18 11:10

» CCCUK West Sussex meeting in November by robbiew on Wed 07 Nov 18 10:48

» South Central Regional Supper Club Meet by Daytona Vette on Tue 06 Nov 18 17:35

» Car Control by philv8 on Tue 06 Nov 18 14:51

» BBCN Region CHRISTMAS Dinner by Nicetie on Tue 06 Nov 18 12:54

» New Exhaust Controller for non-TPP C6 going cheap by 86vetteman on Tue 06 Nov 18 11:52

» Corvette required by roscobbc on Mon 05 Nov 18 22:19

» Original 2009 C6 tyres by BlackZeD on Mon 05 Nov 18 18:04

» What did you do with your Vette today? by Norm on Mon 05 Nov 18 16:36

» Air chambers by roppa440 on Mon 05 Nov 18 15:41

» Adrian Flux - Christmas 2018 Opening Hours by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX on Mon 05 Nov 18 14:03

» South Central Regional Meeting and Midlands-ish Breakfast Club - November by Daytona Vette on Mon 05 Nov 18 12:56

Air chambers

Reply to topic
View previous topicEmail to a FriendPrinter FriendlyView next topic

Author

MIT

Club Member

Sun 04 Nov 18 22:16

Air chambers

Hi, since the temperature has dropped, Iíve noticed a considerable amount of condensation on my c3, in particular the engine. Iím quite concerned about this, and tomorrow Iíll be ordering a cair-o-port, see link. Just wondered if any of you use one, carcoon, airchamber etc, and does it eradicate condensation?

Cheers, Tim.

http://www.hamiltonclassic.co.uk/acatalog/info%5fCOP%5fMEDIU...

--------------------
Tim.

74 coupe.

roppa440

Club Member

Mon 05 Nov 18 08:44

Re: Air chambers

Ventilation is the key with outdoor covers of any kind. Or de-humidifier in them.

Having a large dry garage built onto the house was the best thing I ever did. Thumbs up

Fishy Dave

Club Member

Mon 05 Nov 18 15:08

I had a similar problem with my Caterham years ago and ran two of these tube heaters underneath: f:0" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tubular-Tube-Heater-with-Built-In...

They just raised the temperature of the engine and chassis enough to encourage the condensation to go elsewhere. Could another alternative be something like this attached to the sump? f:0" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Engine-Oil-Pan-Sump-Tank-Heater-2...
This way the oil is warm too, ready for the occasional winter use or start up? The heat should spread through the block.

Not as effective as a Carcoon or decent garage, but cheaper, just a thought.

--------------------
2007 C6 Manual

roppa440

Club Member

Mon 05 Nov 18 15:20

Just realised that is an indoor only thing you are looking at.

I that case all you need is to keep the damp out and the temperature inside fairly constant.

When I was a kid in the '60s my Dad used to have a paraffin "block heater". It was like a little can that burned a tiny flame. You put it under the sump.

Looking back on it now I realise why Health and Safety was invented.....

roppa440

Club Member

Mon 05 Nov 18 15:36

Before it broke, the modest de-humidifier I had in my garage pulled about 2 litres of water out of the air a week during the winter.

I haven't replaced it. Instead I just keep the room temp up above freezing. Last winter was very mild so I didn't really need anything.

It makes me wonder why condensation is forming on the engine. Are you always warming the engine up?

You should never do that. It's the engine making the condensation. Just leave the car standing on jack stands and the battery on trickle charge when not in use for long periods. You only ever want to warm the engine up for tuning or out driving.

Last edited by roppa440 on Mon 05 Nov 18 15:39; edited 1 time in total. [2 %]

MIT

Club Member

Mon 05 Nov 18 15:39

Hi, my long term plan is to knock the garage down and rebuild, the concrete floor is cracked, and condensates, I fear no dpm was used when it was poured. The roofs not great. Itís not attached to the house either. Hopefully next summer Iíll be rebuilding it, a nice timber building with roof storage, one double roller door instead of the 2 single up and overs I have now.
I have now ordered the Cair-o-port, and hopefully this will work well, and I can continue to use it inside the new garage next year, can only help! Itíll help keep the dust off if nothing else.

--------------------
Tim.

74 coupe.

roppa440

Club Member

Mon 05 Nov 18 15:41

MIT wrote (View Post):Hi, my long term plan is to knock the garage down and rebuild, the concrete floor is cracked, and condensates, I fear no dpm was used when it was poured. The roofs not great. Itís not attached to the house either. Hopefully next summer Iíll be rebuilding it, a nice timber building with roof storage, one double roller door instead of the 2 single up and overs I have now.
I have now ordered the Cair-o-port, and hopefully this will work well, and I can continue to use it inside the new garage next year, can only help! Itíll help keep the dust off if nothing else.

Now that sounds like a plan. Thumbs up

Reply to topic
View previous topicEmail to a FriendPrinter FriendlyPrivate MessengerView next topic

Permissions