Website Control

Recent threads

New Forum Posts

» Username Changes by VetteWeekend on Sun 16 Dec 18 18:32

» Help with newly acquired 72 350 Auto by kentvette on Sun 16 Dec 18 14:18

» Fuel - Esso Synergy Supreme+ 97 by Redlevel on Sun 16 Dec 18 13:26

» What did you do with your Vette today? by Redlevel on Sun 16 Dec 18 13:19

» Tesla Pick Up by Redlevel on Sun 16 Dec 18 13:05

» AMERICAN SPEEDFEST 7 on 1st - 2nd JUNE 2019 by Blackadder on Sat 15 Dec 18 22:33

» Fuse replacements by Daytona Vette on Sat 15 Dec 18 13:29

» wet carpets by kentvette on Sat 15 Dec 18 09:24

» Another day, another Mid-Engine Corvette thread by Norm on Fri 14 Dec 18 23:31

» Once A Vette Head - Always A Vette Head! by Jimbo64 on Fri 14 Dec 18 20:40

» Insurance recommenations by BlackZeD on Fri 14 Dec 18 20:31

» 2007 C6 Z51 BX08 ECV - Any Former Owners Here? by Atomic UK on Fri 14 Dec 18 16:44

» South Central Midlands Supper Club Meet by Daytona Vette on Fri 14 Dec 18 11:58

» 2002 C5 Coupe by roppa440 on Fri 14 Dec 18 10:29

» CCCUK West Sussex Xmas meeting tonight 13th December by Sea5 on Thu 13 Dec 18 17:14

» Outer Door Handles by kentvette on Thu 13 Dec 18 11:13

» How Many Miles Does Your Corvette Get Driven? by Skoosh1970 on Thu 13 Dec 18 11:08

» Website Copy and Paste by Rich on Wed 12 Dec 18 07:51

» Trimmer/upholsterer by Forrest Gump on Tue 11 Dec 18 20:06

» Bloodhound SSC by Atomic UK on Mon 10 Dec 18 13:04

» Spotted C2 by Jan25 on Mon 10 Dec 18 09:01

» Facebook page by fat_jogger on Sun 09 Dec 18 19:36

» O.m.g. by Redlevel on Sun 09 Dec 18 17:35

» C5 Harmonic balancer wobbling! by therabster on Sat 08 Dec 18 22:02

» My C8 Grump by Vetteheadtony on Sat 08 Dec 18 13:05

» C7 Z06 by MShaky on Fri 07 Dec 18 15:17

» Replacement head unit for US spec C6 by Young Bill on Fri 07 Dec 18 10:10

» Kelsey Hayes Aluminum Wheels by Daytona Vette on Thu 06 Dec 18 01:05

» Thames Vally Region trip to Studio 434 by Nicetie on Wed 05 Dec 18 22:33

» C6 LED halos by autocolor on Wed 05 Dec 18 19:20

Facebook page

Go to page: Previous / 1, 2, 3, 4

Reply to topic
View previous topicEmail to a FriendPrinter FriendlyView next topic

Author

roppa440

Club Member

Sun 02 Dec 18 08:18

Firepit wrote (View Post):I'm 51 and been in IT since my mid twenties and I don't have a Facebook account. Mainly because I know what it actually is. It's an information gathering marketing tool. And not for our benefit.

That said, I have to say that I like a forum that's dedicated to a function. Centralised indexed and focused. FB is great for look at me pics and silly quotes but it's never going to be a serious tool. Does it need to be there for awareness, links and such I'd say yes. Shouldn't replace the forum though. Just my opinion.

Who said anything about replacing the forum?

Firepit

Club Member

Sun 02 Dec 18 08:47

I said it shouldn't replace the forum. By which I mean, people should use the forum. Not FB. For things like outing arrangements, technical posts and club related updates. If there are multiple platforms available then members could just drift into using one over the other.

--------------------
C5 in custom made Firepit Orange color with Billy Boat Bullet exhaust, MGW short shift, Wilwood Superlite front brakes, Venair Orange Silicon hoses and Evans waterless coolant. Custom mural under hood with wheels and other accessories in Thunder Grey. Illuminated Sills and Firepit Orange interior.

kentvette

Club Member

Sun 02 Dec 18 09:21

Firepit wrote (View Post):I said it shouldn't replace the forum. By which I mean, people should use the forum. Not FB. For things like outing arrangements, technical posts and club related updates. If there are multiple platforms available then members could just drift into using one over the other.

Absolutely correct! Clap Thumbs up

--------------------
Stephen J Irons
CCCUK Lifetime Member
Corvette Club France
Corvettes of Southern California
NCM Family Member
Stephen & June's Web Site
Red Corvettes Have More Fun!

Apple IS Genisys!
The "Born-Again Greenies" are killing the planet! It's time to wake up and smell the rain-forest burning!

Redlevel

Club Member

Sun 02 Dec 18 11:19

Firepit wrote (View Post):I said it shouldn't replace the forum. By which I mean, people should use the forum. Not FB. For things like outing arrangements, technical posts and club related updates. If there are multiple platforms available then members could just drift into using one over the other.

Apart from reasons of CCCUK nostalgia, why is that a problem?

Fast, concise and simple communication is my bag and using a phone 95% of the time its quite difficult to use this forum. Im hoping the new forum will be more phone friendly with simpler image hosting.

I appreciate that a lot of us are getting on in years, but that doesnt mean we have to be afraid of change especially if we are to attract young 'uns..

Ever noticed that a lot of Forum replies become essays? That in itself is a problem we dont need..

Firepit

Club Member

Sun 02 Dec 18 12:13

Re: Facebook page

Redlevel wrote (View Post):

Apart from reasons of CCCUK nostalgia, why is that a problem?

Fast, concise and simple communication is my bag and using a phone 95% of the time its quite difficult to use this forum. Im hoping the new forum will be more phone friendly with simpler image hosting.

I appreciate that a lot of us are getting on in years, but that doesnt mean we have to be afraid of change especially if we are to attract young 'uns..

Ever noticed that a lot of Forum replies become essays? That in itself is a problem we dont need..

Ouch Laughing Sounds like your suggesting I'm old and stuck in my ways. Whilst at the same time saying that the forum is to slow, wordy and difficult to use on a phone for you. I don't have any trouble posting from my I-phone. Scratchchin

The main point that I am making though, isn't particularly related to one verses the other. It's about having two places to choose from. And the consequence of people drifting in-between based on their personal preferences. As well as having different content starting to build up on each platform.

If we get to a point where some reps or members are organising events and updates to a facebook group and some are using the regional events section in the forum, then it's really not far off from having separate clubs. Given the option of where to look for all club, stuff I'd prefer the club run forums. Unless it ALL moves to Facebook at which time, I'd move to that platform. Thumbs up

--------------------
C5 in custom made Firepit Orange color with Billy Boat Bullet exhaust, MGW short shift, Wilwood Superlite front brakes, Venair Orange Silicon hoses and Evans waterless coolant. Custom mural under hood with wheels and other accessories in Thunder Grey. Illuminated Sills and Firepit Orange interior.

roppa440

Club Member

Mon 03 Dec 18 13:18

Firepit wrote (View Post):
If we get to a point where some reps or members are organising events and updates to a facebook group and some are using the regional events section in the forum, then it's really not far off from having separate clubs.

It is the duty of regional reps to make sure all the members they represent are included in any communications that effect them. So as long as reps do what they are supposed to do that shouldn't happen.

One thing I noticed about this forum when I joined was the lack of technical details and "how tos". Instead there was more or less just a link to the USA tech forum.

It's been getting better over the last 5 years or so but because of a lack of any categories it is murder to find a subject one might want to refer too.

Also because it sometimes takes a day or two to get a meaningful number of replies to a technical question because of the lack of users online here most of the day I wouldn't be surprised if people started posting tech questions on Facebook instead if they want a faster answer.

Redlevel

Club Member

Tue 04 Dec 18 13:20

roppa440 wrote (View Post):Firepit wrote (View Post):
If we get to a point where some reps or members are organising events and updates to a facebook group and some are using the regional events section in the forum, then it's really not far off from having separate clubs.

It is the duty of regional reps to make sure all the members they represent are included in any communications that effect them. So as long as reps do what they are supposed to do that shouldn't happen.

One thing I noticed about this forum when I joined was the lack of technical details and "how tos". Instead there was more or less just a link to the USA tech forum.

It's been getting better over the last 5 years or so but because of a lack of any categories it is murder to find a subject one might want to refer too.

Also because it sometimes takes a day or two to get a meaningful number of replies to a technical question because of the lack of users online here most of the day I wouldn't be surprised if people started posting tech questions on Facebook instead if they want a faster answer.

For tech stuff ive always used the corvetteforum as it us fast and wide ranging on all kinds of issues and opinions. This Fb group works well for me too.. Its specifc to C4 problems and fixes. I dare say there'll be other groups for other generations of Corvette too..

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1627363904231801/

FelixP

Addict

Wed 05 Dec 18 10:29

You know you can change your settings so people can't see what you post all the time? I have different friend groups for work mates, other mates etc. So people in work hardly see anything I post but I can be "friends" with them. Likewise if you get fed up of seeing otherp people post in fishing groups or whatever, you can hide them but still stay friends. The facebook group is way more active than this forum. A car club I used to be in setup an instagram page and then people searching for the car could find photos of all styles, share them etc. The profile had a link to the club, I reckon they bought in more members and interest on instagram than anything else.

--------------------
1989 Corvette C4 L98 6 speed ZF with Z51 & FX3

fat_jogger

Club Member

Sun 09 Dec 18 19:36

So, here’s my take.

I’m freelance, I’ve worked in IT for 20 years, but I don’t do FB. Not for any sinister reasons, I just never got into it. I do other social media (hate that term), just not FB. I’m also early 40s, old by “modern yoof” standards, but not that old, really...

If the new website is modern & responsive (as in “multi-device”, not “quick-to-respond”), I hope that’ll fill the gap folks are talking about. FB is ‘easy’ on a phone, and as that is what people expect of online interaction, that’s part of the challenge.

The fact that writing this post on my phone has been, er, not ‘difficult’ but clumsy and not easy, kind of spells it out for me.

I’ve got faith the new website will be inline with modern practices. I don’t want a Facebook-centric online presence. I certainly wouldn’t join FB just for the club, which would be a shame. I don’t post often, and I probably post something useful even more rarely, but I like the information and knowledge I get from the website.

Just my tuppence.

Regards,
FJ

--------------------
18 Cylinders...
10.7 Litres...
12 Tyres...
2 People...
1 House...
Perfect.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention... ...and 2 cats... ...and no kids...

Reply to topic
View previous topicEmail to a FriendPrinter FriendlyPrivate MessengerView next topic

Go to page: Previous / 1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions