CCCUK - The Classic Corvette Club UK

CCCUK » Corvette Gossip » What did you do with your Vette today? Go to page: Previous / 1, 2, 3 ... 185, 186, 187 ... 205, 206, 207 / Next  :| |:

#1851: Re: What did you do with your Vette today? Author: 666Vette Location: Tyne and Wear Post Posted: Today at

if my memory is correct the handbrake should work at 16-17 clicks (which is crazy really) however, setting it for less than this "may" cause binding.
Mine have always worked ok set at this. As for drilling the disc, don't. Heat caused during running and braking could, in extreme cases, cause high temperature fatigue and eventually failure. If they were designed to have a hole in them, it would already be there.

#1852: Re: What did you do with your Vette today? Author: L88 Location: Bexley Post Posted: Today at

Five Red.

OEM rear discs always have a hole about 8 mm to enable a flat screwdriver to get in and adjust the toothed wheel pushing the shoes out. You must have aftermarket discs or 4x front discs or you've put rear discs on the front?? Stranger things have happened.

#1853: Re: What did you do with your Vette today? Author: FIVE RED Location: North East Post Posted: Today at

L88 wrote (View Post):Five Red.

OEM rear discs always have a hole about 8 mm to enable a flat screwdriver to get in and adjust the toothed wheel pushing the shoes out. You must have aftermarket discs or 4x front discs or you've put rear discs on the front?? Stranger things have happened.

Stranger things may well have happened but not in the case of trying to fit rear discs on the front and fronts on the rear - remember we are talking about the handbrake shoes so at the risk of stating the obvious the front discs just aren't made to house the shoes.
My car has OEM discs, it's likely that GM changed suppliers of many parts during the C5 production run 97-04. Hence why I may not have the 8mm hole for handbrake adjustment.

#1854: Re: What did you do with your Vette today? Author: L88 Location: Bexley Post Posted: Today at

My mistake I didn't read what car you were working on. My comments were C2/3 related. Carry on.

#1855: Re: What did you do with your Vette today? Author: roppa440 Location: Newcastle Upon Tyne Post Posted: Today at

Having had my rear discs off and on a few times I have found that the best way to adjust them is to find the point where you can just get the discs on and off with a struggle and the heavy use of a rubber mallet.

When seated on the hub you should still be able to feel some slight rotation of the discs on the stud clearance.

Test by fitting the wheels and while still on axle stands run the engine in1st and reverse gears. Pull the handbrake on and off a few times. It should lock and unlock the wheels fine. The wheels should spin freely in gear and at the same speed as each other. Listen to each wheel too.

#1856:  Author: eurovettes Location: Stevenage, Herts, UK Post Posted: Today at

just drove from San DIego to Los Angeles in the rain !!!! in my mates C5 - we met up with vette guys and planned a September trip up highway 1 to Oregon and back in September - I cant wait - yeeeehaaa

cheers
keith

#1857: Re: What did you do with your Vette today? Author: FelixP Location: Cardiff Post Posted: Today at

Popped down to Queens Square breakfast meet in Bristol on Sunday. It'll be 2 years/20k miles ago this February that I saw "my" car there and bought it on a whim!

#1858: Re: What did you do with your Vette today? Author: Nick B Location: Cambridgeshire Post Posted: Today at

Nice pics, thanks for sharing. Thumbs up

#1859: Re: What did you do with your Vette today? Author: 1997BlackC5 Location: Bexley Post Posted: Today at

Worryingly, I am finding myself liking the Rover!!!!

#1860: Re: What did you do with your Vette today? Author: FelixP Location: Cardiff Post Posted: Today at

Talked to Classic Car Weekly about why I love it!

Vol 1-3 of why I hate it coming soon silly
CCCUK » Corvette Gossip » What did you do with your Vette today? Go to page: Previous / 1, 2, 3 ... 185, 186, 187 ... 205, 206, 207 / Next  :| |:

Generated using printer-friendly.