CCCUK - The Classic Corvette Club UK

CCCUK » C3 Generation » C3 Steering wheel boss

#1: C3 Steering wheel boss Author: geoff917 Location: Suffolk Post Posted: Today at

A request for help,please......at a recent show we took the C3 on its first outing.It was a warm day, the car was on the Club stand and there was security patrolling.This didn't stop someone from trying to remove the steering wheel boss, which they subsequently dropped onto the car floor.

I am having a real issue trying to refit it .Sounds a minor problem you might think, but the horn goes off with barely any contact with the boss in place.I must be doing something wrong....,,fortunately the battery has an isolator so at least it's not going off whilst I have been trying.....

Help!😕

#2: Re: C3 Steering wheel boss Author: curious bystander Location: Derbyshire Post Posted: Today at

If you mean by the "boss" the horn button with the crossed flags I have exactly the same problem. Go over a bump and the horn goes off slightly.

New parts needed - the black spring thing that you are trying to get the "boss" back on to is probably tired of life like mine. Shorts out as soon as you look at it making the horn sound?

Look on Ecklers parts list for reference. All the different bits are available separately I think.

And when you find what you need, get me one please Smile

#3: Re: C3 Steering wheel boss Author: geoff917 Location: Suffolk Post Posted: Today at

Yes, it is thank you!

Will check it out and let you know lol☺

#4: Re: C3 Steering wheel boss Author: L88 Location: Bexley Post Posted: Today at

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/chevrolet,1969,corvette,...

It's more than likely the Dorman spring contact kit at the bottom of page you need.

Last edited by L88 on Sun 29 Oct 17 19:49; edited 1 time in total. [30 %]

#5: Re: C3 Steering wheel boss Author: geoff917 Location: Suffolk Post Posted: Today at

L88 wrote (View Post):https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/chevrolet,1969,corvette,5.7l+350cid+v8,1040892,electrical,horn,1060

It's more than likely the Dorman spring contact kit at the bottom of page you need.

Thank you for your kind response.....mine is a 78 C3, do you think the part would still fit?

#6: Re: C3 Steering wheel boss Author: L88 Location: Bexley Post Posted: Today at

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/chevrolet,1978,corvette,...

Yes it lists as the same. To keep your neighbours happy try and temporary sleeve it to stop the alloy pin from touching the sides until the the kit arrives. Also the part that you're horn push clamps on to , pull each side away from the steering wheel a millimetre all the way around.

#7: Re: C3 Steering wheel boss Author: curious bystander Location: Derbyshire Post Posted: Today at

I was thinking this was the problem on mine Scratchchin

https://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corvette-horn-button-contact...

#8: Re: C3 Steering wheel boss Author: L88 Location: Bexley Post Posted: Today at

Yes that's the part I was on about trying to bend away from wheel so there is more travel until contact is made.

#9:  Author: Grahamred70 Location: Pembrokeshire Post Posted: Today at

I found a used one with a good button, as mine was cracked, on E bay, the replacement was for a non tilt tele so I dismantled both, selected the best parts from them to make a good cap.
The outer ring was stripped and sprayed satin black, the plastic button was faded so I cleaned off the painted back then repainted to colours and silver lines followed by black and it ended up like new, have to say I was well impressed with the result.
As the button was like new it put the rest of the collumn etc. to shame so I stripped that and gave that a coat of satin black, during the strip down I discovered a few Bubba mods which were put right for example the spring contact was assembled in the wrong order, the spring ring that the horn button clips into was all distorted, when it all went back together the refurbed button clipped nicely into place and I had a working horn again.
By the way as I had to drill the heads off the rivetted staks that held it together originally I used small blobs of Araldite to fasten it all back together.
All in I think it only cost about 30 to do, the horn button was cheap as the plastic centre was so faded but not cracked.
Graham

#10:  Author: eurovettes Location: Stevenage, Herts, UK Post Posted: Today at

Let me know if I can help- i ma in Californai till jan 23rd and can get small parts form ecklers/rock or others - of course I havea US-UK shipment as well end jan beginning of feb

cheers
keith
keef @ eurovettes.com
CCCUK » C3 Generation » C3 Steering wheel boss

Generated using printer-friendly.