CCCUK - The Classic Corvette Club UK

CCCUK » Non-Corvette Motoring » Help/Advice Please on This Car

#1: Help/Advice Please on This Car Author: kentvette Location: Loir Valley, France Post Posted: Today at

So, the sons of a French neighbour of ours here has called tonight to ask me for help with a car they have seen being advertised on Gumtree. I confess tat buying a second hand car was never my "thing" when I lived there, even less so now!. But I said I'd try and find out a bit about it, and have lumbered my self witgh phoning the vendor tomorrow! The car is this one::

https://www.gumtree.com/p/renault/renault-clio-182-full-fat-...

The lads here are into rallying and want to use the car for that. Its cheap (at least by French standards apparently) and they have tried a few email with the seller, in their broken "google assisted" English! They wanted some more photos, specifically of the engine etc, but the response was "no, the car is not with me". The car has no MOT. The vendor says he hasn't got time to get it MOT'd. On the ad there is a note that no "checks" could be done on the car. The lad's plan had been to fly over and buy it, drive to Portsmouth and bring it home.

I'm now asking advice! Can an "HPI type" check be done on the reg number, and how? Would that show up anything else "dodgy"? How does the price look, if anyone has an idea on such a car? I guess even, what sort of things should I ask the seller! (Can you tell I don't do this often!)

It's apparently in Tunbridge Wells - I guess no one is close?

Any help, advice, tips, recommendations gratefully received!

#2: Re: Help/Advice Please on This Car Author: roscobbc Location: S W Essex Post Posted: Today at

Hmmmmmm - if its too good to be true - then it usually isn't true. Seller being particularly unhelpful is a bad sign. My understanding in a logic situation is that if the car is what it should be then the seller will normally be doing all he can to answer any potential buyers questions. If it was really cheap I can see sellers logic if selling for scrap Yes

#3: Re: Help/Advice Please on This Car Author: kentvette Location: Loir Valley, France Post Posted: Today at

Ros, The deal isn't happening - the lack of MOT was a problem. But another car has been identified, seems a better, safer deal on the face of it. personally, it's a risk I wouldn't take, but the chaps here seem keen and, it's a lot cheaper than buying a similar car here....

#4:  Author: aaroncorvette Location: North Kent Post Posted: Today at

Hi Kentvette

I'm moving to The Dordogne next week.

What the car situation in France? I hear cars are more expensive than here hence your thread. But is a Renault cheaper in England? What cars are worth bring over to France to sell etc? Any info you have is handy.
What about getting Yanks registered over there?

Thanks

Aaron.

#5: Re: Help/Advice Please on This Car Author: kentvette Location: Loir Valley, France Post Posted: Today at

Aaron, look out for a PM Smile

#6:  Author: aaroncorvette Location: North Kent Post Posted: Today at

Thanks for the detailed PM, very much appreciated!
CCCUK » Non-Corvette Motoring » Help/Advice Please on This Car

Generated using printer-friendly.