CCCUK - The Classic Corvette Club UK

CCCUK » C3 Generation » Spark Plugs - 1968 327

#1: Spark Plugs - 1968 327 Author: CaptainK Location: Devon Post Posted: Today at

Hello all. I've been searching the internet and on the forums for the spark plugs I need for my 1968 327/300hp Corvette (original engine), and just found tons of different plug numbers and some saying that a 1968 327 doesn't exist.

So I thought I'd give in and ask here in case any of you know good plugs or part numbers for the 1968 327. The engine isn't particularly fancy or highly modified - just aftermarket carb and manifold. From reading the threads on here, some say Champion plugs, other say NGK.

Ideally from a UK seller please. Thanks Smile

#2: Re: Spark Plugs - 1968 327 Author: kentvette Location: Loir Valley, France Post Posted: Today at

My manual says AC44.

I looked at The Green Spark Plug Co. They seem to do 44.5. But, I found the NGK equivalent is B6S and they have that.

http://www.gsparkplug.com/1x-ngk-copper-core-spark-plug-b6s-...

Highly recommend GSPC, very reasonable price and speedy delivery. Plus, if you want to be sure, you can choose your plugs by size, length, contact size etc etc....

#3: Re: Spark Plugs - 1968 327 Author: Chris Sale Location: Shropshire Post Posted: Today at

I agree with Stephen's recommendation. I have been using NGK B6S for many years in my '64 which also has the 300 HP 327. My annual mileage runs between 4000 - 5000 miles and I change plugs every two years.

If, after you have put a few thousand on your first set of B6S you think you could go to a hotter plug in some cylinders, you can install BP5S which are one 'range' hotter and have a projected tip. My No. 8 plug has always been prone to fouling before the others, presumably because of oil getting past the valve stem seals, and a BP5S stays clean for longer.

#4: Re: Spark Plugs - 1968 327 Author: roscobbc Location: S W Essex Post Posted: Today at

Agree with Chris - I use NGK's on my big block, and yes generally replace every two seasons or when misfires start-up. I changed to BCPR6's to try and cure plugs going 'open circuit' with the 7's (it did improve - and these are resistor plugs which I believe are easier to source from local autofactors) - in my case plug fouling is caused by a combination of prolonged city use coupled with the rich idle mixture needed with a rumpity - rumpity camshaft and big double pumper carb. Even the super powerful spark from a MSD system has its limitations Yes

#5:  Author: CaptainK Location: Devon Post Posted: Today at

Thanks everyone. When I did a search on the forum I found multiple references to the Green Spark Plug co, but I didn't know which plugs I needed. Tried to look at other sites to cross reference and just ended in a pickle.

I'll get some ordered soon, as the engine isn't particularly happy with life, and I'm changing the carb and inlet soon, along with the dist and leads and figured I may as well change the plugs too. Problem is, I believe to change the plugs you need to remove the exhaust manifolds, and I was thinking of replacing my exhaust manifolds with a better set, so I'll be on a big parts buying session soon.

Thanks.

#6: Re: Spark Plugs - 1968 327 Author: jmvette Location: THETFORD NORFOLK Post Posted: Today at

I

Last edited by jmvette on Thu 09 Nov 17 08:35; edited 1 time in total. [98 %]

#7:  Author: CaptainK Location: Devon Post Posted: Today at

Well, the Green Spark Plugs co seems very efficient - I ordered them shortly after my comment above and they arrived the next day. Well done GSPCo. Smile
CCCUK » C3 Generation » Spark Plugs - 1968 327

Generated using printer-friendly.