CCCUK - The Classic Corvette Club UK

CCCUK » C3 Generation » C3 headlights

#1: C3 headlights Author: mickeywick Location: Horley, Surrey Post Posted: Today at

my right-hand headlight comes up after i park the car. I can push it down again but why does it come up in the first place.
One problem is, of course, I can't see whether it is up or down when I'm actually driving the car - any ideas?
Mike Annett, Horley, Surrey

Last edited by mickeywick on Tue 02 Jan 18 17:27; edited 1 time in total. [1 %]

#2: Re: C3 headlights Author: kentvette Location: Loir Valley, France Post Posted: Today at

I think you'll find this is a vacuum issue. I believe that the front chassis tube is the reservoir for the "hold down" aspect of the lights. As only one is coming up, I suspect you have a leak in a vacuum hose. I have been fortunate to have avoided this little gremlin, so am not a great expert, but no doubt someone on here will confirm or deny my thoughts!

#3: Re: C3 headlights Author: mickeywick Location: Horley, Surrey Post Posted: Today at

I've had another look and the headlights come up alright but only the left one goes down..
Does anyone know if the 'dipswitch' operates the headlights by vacuum or electrically
The stalk operates the wipers, screen wash etc. and it's suppoed to dip the headlights.
Mike

#4: Re: C3 headlights Author: kentvette Location: Loir Valley, France Post Posted: Today at

The "dipswitch" would operate electrically, just switching to the dip beam of the sealed beam units (and switching off the single element main beam unit.

I don't know what year you have, but on the 78 the dipswitch "stalk" does only that and the indicators. But's quiet a pull to operate the dip and its a "toggle" type, so it clicks back and you pull it again to go back to main...

The raising of the lamp doors is vacuum operated. It sounds as though you have a hose leak or a bad actuator.

#5: Re: C3 headlights Author: eurovettes Location: Stevenage, Herts, UK Post Posted: Today at

A good "do the simple stuff first" tip would be to cut 1/4" off the ends of all the he
l/ vac hoses and refit - this means you get fresh rubber fit.
Remember also that you vette may have the manual h/l overide operation switch under the middle of the drivers dash - this may also be leaking.

I get occasionally on my 80 under hard accel Smile a lift up of my rh h/l - I put this down to excessive vaccum and possibly leaking actuator boot - not annoying enuf for me to fix it

I just love the roar of WOT !!!!!

cheers
keith

#6: Re: C3 headlights Author: Daytona Vette Location: Warwickshire Post Posted: Today at

AS said above a Vacuum Issue

Last edited by Daytona Vette on Fri 05 Jan 18 17:08; edited 1 time in total. [2 %]

#7: Re: C3 headlights Author: curious bystander Location: Derbyshire Post Posted: Today at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoQ-yKzc3wo

Some of this is a bit hard to follow but it does show all the components.

The over ride switch mentioned is under the dash near the steering column.

If every part mentioned in this video looks "well worn", including the rubber hoses it could be time to replace everything

Replaced the lot on mine - now works a treat Thumbs up

#8:  Author: eurovettes Location: Stevenage, Herts, UK Post Posted: Today at

great video - I actually learned from it - another little job for my 80 - no off to buy a mighty vac
CCCUK » C3 Generation » C3 headlights

Generated using printer-friendly.