CCCUK - The Classic Corvette Club UK

CCCUK » C3 Generation » C3 headlights . Go to page: Previous / 1, 2  :| |:

#11: Re: C3 headlights . Author: mickeywick Location: Horley, Surrey Post Posted: Today at

Thanks Mike.

I have already been down the relay fitting route and they werte working ok.
Now just the outside ones come on and I can't get the inner ones to light up.
Possibly a loose connection? or maybe that little stick on the left of the steering column that does the washers, wipers and indicators etc.

#12: Re: C3 headlights . Author: Chuffer Location: Tiffield Post Posted: Today at

Hope it turns out be something simple Doh
\When my one main didn`t work I could tap the lens with my knuckle and it would work then go off again . Took the light units out of the pop up mounts , couldn`t find anything obvious so took off all connections , cleaned terminals and earth points and hey presto ! It worked Clap

#13: Re: C3 headlights . Author: mickeywick Location: Horley, Surrey Post Posted: Today at

Thanks so much - you were dead right - all working OK now - just got to align them all - ha ha !!
Mike A

#14: Re: C3 headlights . Author: Chuffer Location: Tiffield Post Posted: Today at

Excellent news , glad it was an easy fix . Thumbs up

#15: Re: C3 headlights . Author: mickeywick Location: Horley, Surrey Post Posted: Today at

Yes - many thanks.
Plucking up courage to adjust the beams assuming I can get the car on level ground Smile
Why on earth is the fuse box so inaccessible ?

Look at Surrey Oaks, Newdigate for monthly classic car breakfast.
atvb
Mike

#16: Re: C3 headlights . Author: kentvette Location: Loir Valley, France Post Posted: Today at

mickeywick wrote (View Post):
Yes - many thanks.
Plucking up courage to adjust the beams assuming I can get the car on level ground Smile
Why on earth is the fuse box so inaccessible ?

Mike

I adjusted the beams on our '78 in the garage, using the closed door as the "wall". Actually quite straightforward assuming you can get the car about 8ft from the "wall" and "square". Two adjuster screws per lamp unit. For the full beam, when all four lamps are lit, I covered the main/dip unit that I had previously adjusted, so that I could see the pattern of the main bean easier.

Seemed to be OK as it passed the test here and, with the new halogen dip beam, its a joy at night now!

#17: Re: C3 headlights . Author: mickeywick Location: Horley, Surrey Post Posted: Today at

Many thanks for that.
Do you happen to know how far down, and to the side, the dipped beams should be assuming you're 8 ft. from the wall/door?
atb
Mike

#18: Re: C3 headlights . Author: kentvette Location: Loir Valley, France Post Posted: Today at

Hi

To be honest, no Rolling Eyes Smile I did mine a while ago and I seem to think that I'd got an idea of where the Vette lights should be, based on our "metal car", parked in the same place!

I used masking tape to put lines on the door to show height and angle and also where the dip went to.

Then, swapped the cars. I recall that measured the height of the actual lights on the car from the ground, and the width, so I had an idea if the lights were pointing ahead (!) Then just got all of them lined up to that, getting all four main beams in line.

I have to say I was surprised by how close I got it, as they were great to drive with almost straight away. (The new lamp units had been pointing at the ground when they first went in!) Not sure how stringent the test is here for "Collection cars", but it passed.

Hope that's a bit helpful!

#19: Re: C3 headlights . Author: mickeywick Location: Horley, Surrey Post Posted: Today at

I know virtually nothing about headlighs or how they work - a complete mystery !
Would my C3 have sealed beam lights and would I simply be able to change the bulb if one stops working?
How can I tell whether they are sealed beam or not?
atb
Mike

#20: Re: C3 headlights . Author: kentvette Location: Loir Valley, France Post Posted: Today at

Yes, the stock fitting on a C3 would be Sealed Beams. I think you'll find that the units will actually be marked "Sealed Beam" on the glass, but that may just have been on a couple of my replacement items? I don't think it's possible to see the back of the unit if it's still in the car though, to tell if it is a sealed unit or a separate bulb. If one fails you'll need to change the whole unit. The 5.75 sealed beam units are not too hard to come by, but many on here have swapped to lamp units with bulbs, allowing the use of halogen bulbs, which are brighter.

I went to Classic Car Accessories
( http://www.classic-car-accessories.co.uk/acatalog/HEADLIGHTS... ) who were excellent to deal with, had great delivery times and were cheaper than the other "players".

There's lots of discussion about the use of relays. I haven't got them, but I probably should have, if only to protect the switch!
CCCUK » C3 Generation » C3 headlights . Go to page: Previous / 1, 2  :| |:

Generated using printer-friendly.