» Brooklands Museum - Weybridge by curious bystander on Thu 16 Nov 17 19:49

» Lowering my c4 by stuart2379 on Thu 16 Nov 17 19:06

» ZR1 Dubai Debut by kentvette on Thu 16 Nov 17 16:04

» C5 Stormforce Outdoor Cover For Sale by MShaky on Thu 16 Nov 17 15:37

» Problem using Website by z06_tim on Thu 16 Nov 17 13:50

» C4 Headlight conversions.. by gary 53 on Thu 16 Nov 17 09:29

» Corvette C5 clutch noise. by shorty on Wed 15 Nov 17 21:03

» C5 by 5 USA on Wed 15 Nov 17 20:58

» North Wales & Cheshire Vette Owner - 2018 Meets by Adam.slater@hotmail.co.uk on Wed 15 Nov 17 18:16

» Alternators and Starters by Daytona Vette on Wed 15 Nov 17 16:58

» Classic American mag by kentvette on Wed 15 Nov 17 09:28

» Laying the Car up for Winter? Not This Guy! by z06_tim on Tue 14 Nov 17 20:05

» Proposed BBCN Region Christmas meet 2nd December by oldtimer on Tue 14 Nov 17 10:48

» What does this wire do / connect to? by CaptainK on Tue 14 Nov 17 09:20

» For Sale - C5 Z06 Wheels & Tyres by MShaky on Tue 14 Nov 17 09:20

» Removing the in Dashboard 90 c4 corvette by gary 53 on Tue 14 Nov 17 08:02

» NEC show this weekend by roscobbc on Mon 13 Nov 17 23:05

» Injectors / Fuel Filter Changed by stevel98 on Mon 13 Nov 17 13:43

» BBCN Region December Meet/Christmas Lunch by Nicetie on Mon 13 Nov 17 12:54

» "UK spec" C7 Headlights by chevrolet on Sun 12 Nov 17 11:02

» Early photo's from NEC by roscobbc on Fri 10 Nov 17 23:59

» Spark Plugs - 1968 327 by CaptainK on Fri 10 Nov 17 11:55

» 1977 Auto for Sale. by wallisg on Fri 10 Nov 17 11:09

Black '68

Go to page: 1, 2, 3, 4 / Next

Reply to topic
View previous topicEmail to a FriendPrinter FriendlyView next topic

Author

Ddave

Addict

Fri 16 Sep 16 15:50

Black '68 Message Icon

Hi All!!

New to the world of vettes', and just jumped in off the deep end!!

On hols in San Diego last month, and bought myself a project...a 427/390 '68 vette, which is in good running (very strong worked '71 LS6 under the hood), rust free condition... but is not very pretty atm!

Once upon a time, someone took it upon themselves to strip out the interior... and strip out the vacuum system - removing the wiper door entirely and swapping out the lights for square lemans type aftermarket units... and, adding to that... it had a set of centrelines (which, to my mind, look cool on a chevelle or charger... not so on a vette!) - and was painted matt black with bright green go faster stripes...

despite all this, the visionary in me saw a diamond in the rough - a big block, power brakes, power steering, power windows chrome bumper vette.... ( and the stump pulling drive helped persuade!) - so I've knabbed it...

it stayed in san diego to get the main interior bits (and wheels!) sorted, and is now on its way home - where it will be returned to original appearance and resprayed in original colour - Silverstone silver.

I've just sent in the form etc for membership; so will no doubt meet some of you fine folks in due course!! (in the interim - I'll have MANY MANY questions.. so please be nice!!!)

Dave

--------------------
---------------------------------
*Was I drunk when I bought this project?*

roscobbc

Committee Member

Fri 16 Sep 16 16:28

Re: Black '68

Welcome Dave - and a '68 BB too! - you'll find out soon enough that many parts on '68's (being first year of C3) are specific to this year only.

--------------------
CCCUK Chairman & Editor, Vette News
'68 coupe - 4 speed - 3.08 - 489 cu in - 570 bhp @ 5850 rpm - 606 ft/lbs torque (821 Newton Metres) @ 3850 rpm

Ddave

Addict

Fri 16 Sep 16 19:06

Banghead Banghead

Yes... I've discovered this unfortunate fact already shopping for interior bits!

Fortunately, while I am trying to create an era correct interior, I'm not a purist, so I don't mind mixing parts as long as they don't look out of place.

Managed to source a 68 heater control unit ok, but gave up on getting a wiper switch bezel at even vaguely sensible money so bought a 69-71 unit on the basis that it's apparently a perfect fit except for the duct, which can be bastardised to fit.

--------------------

Ddave

Addict

Fri 16 Sep 16 19:09

Btw, my car is also a 3.08 diff, 4 speed..

Wasn't sure if the ratio was too low or not.(on paper).. Then went out in the car and was sold that bbc torque was up to the job! Thumbs up

--------------------

roscobbc

Committee Member

Fri 16 Sep 16 20:40

3.08 and Muncie M21 c/r is perfect combination. If yours will rev past 6000 rpm UK's national speed limit is achievable in 1st gear Yes

Last edited by roscobbc on Fri 16 Sep 16 20:41; edited 1 time in total. [17 %]
--------------------
CCCUK Chairman & Editor, Vette News
'68 coupe - 4 speed - 3.08 - 489 cu in - 570 bhp @ 5850 rpm - 606 ft/lbs torque (821 Newton Metres) @ 3850 rpm

Ddave

Addict

Sat 17 Sep 16 11:46

So far, I've only been for a quick spin around suburban San Diego... So yet to find out the art of the possible! Wink

Hopeful it will rev though... It's running a big cam, gyptal coated rectangular port heads, 2 1/4 into 3 1/2 headers etc... The components of top end grunt appear present, at least!

--------------------

yenko 1969

Club Member

Sat 17 Sep 16 14:26

Special year 68 , and becoming a rare item. do you have any pics? mine is a coupe and I do have some bits if you get stuck.

--------------------
Barn find L88 in UK

Ddave

Addict

Sun 18 Sep 16 16:03

I've a few pictures.... as I mentioned above... she wasn't, err, exactly to my taste when I bought her!

https://vetterebuild.shutterfly.com/pictures

the last few pics are 'current state' - main parts of the interior replaced, wheels replaced and a boot full of parts!

I might well be on the hunt for parts once the car turns up and I realise I've overlooked something (else)! Doh

--------------------

Ddave

Addict

Sat 12 Nov 16 21:02

Chaps,

Car is STILL not here - albeit I seemingly have a shed full of bits awaiting it's arrival..

Neverminding that..

I've been considering direction for my restoration, and I genuinely cannot decide between two paths... I'd welcome any constructive thoughts as to which is best?

Context: base car is a hacked about 1980's rat rod conversion... that I am looking to restore to a semblence of it's 1960's form... its mechanically sound (non matching #) - but body needs work

the options are as follows:

a) restore the car to as close to original as possible - a 427 - 390bhp 4 speed with power brakes, power steering and power windows.. a sound option.. but a bit 'me too', perhaps? (and the car has an L88 hood - which isnt ideal)

b) restore the car as an L88 tribute - it's already got an L88 hood; so it wouldnt be an awful lot more work to install an L88 air filter/plenum; radio delete; L88 stickers etc... arguably I could also go down a rabbit hole with F41 suspension, J56 brakes etc... at danger of my life as my wife might just murder me if i spend a fortune on this car.. and.. it's still a power steering car - which was never an L88 option (and i'd be very tempted to build a new engine to L88 specs!)

thoughts, either way? - i'm genuinely on the fence!

alternately.. i could be influenced if anyone either a) wants to buy an L88 hood from me.... or b) who has a standard 68 big block hood they'd be willing to sell?

(moderators: I presume i'm not breaking forum rules here, as i'd be able to advertise in the for sales if i wanted given that i'm a member? - if i am - drop me a note and i'll delete the last paragraph!)

regards all! (might see a few of you in brum tomorrow - as i've got an unexpected pass out!)

dave

--------------------

L88

Club Member

Sat 12 Nov 16 23:10

You must be itching to get your hands on that car after all this time? Between 3 or 4 of us we have most of the parts to go standard or L88 tribute but as you're no doubt aware original parts are expensive. For instance radio delete panel repro @ 80 or original @ 750 and that's if seller will part with it. It looks like you have bought 69 on wheels and 70 on seats, we have correct 7" wheels and correct 68 head rest seats , J56 parts and twin pin pads calipers brackets etc, correct headlight assemblies and wiper assemblies L88 intakes etc etc. I can take moulds for the wheelarches if you want them back to standard.

If your bonnet is an original L88 item and not a repro it will take a phone call to find a buyer.

Which route you take is up to you, have you thought about a race replica? Whichever route you take I'm sure you'll be making a few shopping trips stateside.

Frank.

--------------------
If you're serious, I have For sale a 69 4speed convertible project and a 66 convertible project.

Reply to topic
View previous topicEmail to a FriendPrinter FriendlyPrivate MessengerView next topic

Go to page: 1, 2, 3, 4 / Next

Permissions