CCCUK logo

ShipMyCar.co.uk

Website Control

Recent threads

New Forum Posts

» Birdcage repair by johng on Tue 16 Oct 18 15:19

» Tips by CaptainK on Tue 16 Oct 18 13:44

» Im interested in a C5 Z06 (this time next year) by Benbay001 on Tue 16 Oct 18 12:55

» Engine cutting out after firing up by Firepit on Tue 16 Oct 18 09:19

» Wiper actuator on a 69L by johng on Mon 15 Oct 18 22:02

» A trio of C2 owners. by yenko 1969 on Mon 15 Oct 18 21:38

» What did you do with your Vette today? by Norm on Mon 15 Oct 18 15:46

» Thinking About Hanging Them Up....... by Norm on Mon 15 Oct 18 15:44

» BBCN Regional meet by Nicetie on Mon 15 Oct 18 12:57

» C5 O2 sensor code?? by roppa440 on Mon 15 Oct 18 08:45

» C2 fibreglassing and prep. by L88 on Sun 14 Oct 18 17:16

» Spec lists by Jimbo64 on Sun 14 Oct 18 15:36

» Road Atlanta this weekend. by UkBeancounter on Sun 14 Oct 18 14:29

» New Series of Wheeler Dealers an 02 Z06?? by dex99 on Sun 14 Oct 18 12:02

» C3 Side Exhaust Pipes by riddyboy on Sat 13 Oct 18 20:03

» Door removal on 79 coupe by Nigelcurry on Sat 13 Oct 18 20:01

» American Day - Museum of Power Essex by Forrest Gump on Sat 13 Oct 18 17:44

» C5 Performance Projects - book by robbiew on Fri 12 Oct 18 21:19

» Help with newly acquired 72 350 Auto by Jimbo64 on Fri 12 Oct 18 18:15

» speed bleeders by Grahamred70 on Fri 12 Oct 18 16:17

» South Central Regional Meeting and Midlands-ish Breakfast Club - October by Daytona Vette on Fri 12 Oct 18 10:44

» Essex Regional meeting by roscobbc on Fri 12 Oct 18 08:36

» 1972 Washer bottle wanted by Vetteheadtony on Thu 11 Oct 18 22:48

» Vette Hire In The U.S. by 86vetteman on Thu 11 Oct 18 20:33

» South Central Mids Supper Club Meet by Daytona Vette on Wed 10 Oct 18 07:29

» CCCUK West Sussex meeting in October by robbiew on Tue 09 Oct 18 19:11

» You Like Shine? I Like Shine....... by Norm on Mon 08 Oct 18 19:21

» FOR SALE - C6 MODIFIED STANDARD EXHAUSTS louder than stock by Rich on Mon 08 Oct 18 17:20

» Potential new C5 owner - some basic questions by 666Vette on Mon 08 Oct 18 13:04

» Looking for a C6 Z06 by IbanezDan51 on Mon 08 Oct 18 09:38

Black '68

Go to page: Previous / 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 / Next

Reply to topic
View previous topicEmail to a FriendPrinter FriendlyView next topic

Author

Ddave

Club Member

Tue 06 Dec 16 00:00

Re: Black '68

It's FINALLY here!!

having had a few hours to come to terms with it... I'm now ready to kick on!

that said... now making the obligatory *MANY* observations that I didnt pick up when first looking at it...

The good:

-Despite >3 months in transit; with some fresh fuel in the tank and a bit down the carb; it started remarkably easily.... and after a bit of initial rough running, is now as sweet as a nut

-It had a few more parts than i remember; so i've got a couple of duplicate bits from my subsequent shopping spree... i'll advertise them if anyone needs them once i've validated my inventory

- for the most part; it's as I remember!

The bad:

-no idea how i missed it when i first looked at it - but its originally an AC car! it's still got a vacuum actuator mounted in the passenger footwell - and has the 'astro ventilation' stickers on the window.... but every other conceivable part of the system is gone! - so i plan to convert it to a non ac car (but will need to research how! - unless someone has a spare 68 air con setup somewhere that they are desperate to get rid of?)

-the hand brake cover/console unit has been damaged in transit (it's very brittle) - so either need a new one or need to repair this one... any tips?

-in the next day or two - i'll be posting a biiiig parts wanted list....

The ugly:

-The big, freeflowing headers I mentioned earlier.... absolutely foul where the heater box should be... so i've either got to swap the headers or work out a way to 'encourage' it to fit.. any suggestions welcome?

--------------------
---------------------------------
*Was I drunk when I bought this project?*

roscobbc

Committee Member

Tue 06 Dec 16 13:18

Ddave wrote (View Post):It's FINALLY here!!

having had a few hours to come to terms with it... I'm now ready to kick on!

that said... now making the obligatory *MANY* observations that I didnt pick up when first looking at it...

The good:

-Despite >3 months in transit; with some fresh fuel in the tank and a bit down the carb; it started remarkably easily.... and after a bit of initial rough running, is now as sweet as a nut

-It had a few more parts than i remember; so i've got a couple of duplicate bits from my subsequent shopping spree... i'll advertise them if anyone needs them once i've validated my inventory

- for the most part; it's as I remember!

The bad:

-no idea how i missed it when i first looked at it - but its originally an AC car! it's still got a vacuum actuator mounted in the passenger footwell - and has the 'astro ventilation' stickers on the window.... but every other conceivable part of the system is gone! - so i plan to convert it to a non ac car (but will need to research how! - unless someone has a spare 68 air con setup somewhere that they are desperate to get rid of?)

-the hand brake cover/console unit has been damaged in transit (it's very brittle) - so either need a new one or need to repair this one... any tips?

-in the next day or two - i'll be posting a biiiig parts wanted list....

The ugly:

-The big, freeflowing headers I mentioned earlier.... absolutely foul where the heater box should be... so i've either got to swap the headers or work out a way to 'encourage' it to fit.. any suggestions welcome?

If the headers are Hookers then it's very likely they won't fit an a/c car - perhaps why a/c is removed -Hedmans probably will fit - you'll need to do some research. Rear centre console is very fragile - probably broken by someone kneeling on it - get a new one and reinforce it underneath.

--------------------
CCCUK Chairman
'68 coupe - 4 speed - 3.08 - 489 cu in - 570 bhp @ 5850 rpm - 606 ft/lbs torque (821 Newton Metres) @ 3850 rpm

jmvette

Addict

Tue 06 Dec 16 14:49

If you are doing an L88 tribute car you do not want air con. No Big Block corvettes with solid lifter 4 bolt high hp engines had air con from the factory, you could not order it as an option , with a big block 390 hp you could have it because it is a 2 bolt hydraulic lifter engine.

John

yenko 1969

Club Member

Tue 06 Dec 16 21:50

How much have you allowed for L88 parts/repro-original $$$$$$

--------------------
Barn find L88 in UK

Ddave

Club Member

Wed 07 Dec 16 06:22

I've reflected on that for a while - and have decided to park the idea for the moment.. (despite temptation every time i see a set of 074 aluminium heads going cheap on ebay.com!)

It comes back to vehicle purpose - this is a car that I want to be able to drive regularly / without too much hassle... I live about 15 miles from the nearest place that has 100 octane fuel readily available; and i'd rather not be perpetually waiting for mail order fuel to be delivered!

I havn't completely shelved it; and will leave the L88 hood on the car for now - but immediate term - I've decided to get the car presentable/on the road with the current driveline; and reconsider direction once its a going concern...

That said, JM's right - I'll steer away from options that would make it harder to go back if i throw the kitchen sink at the L88 tribute concept at a later date...

--------------------
---------------------------------
*Was I drunk when I bought this project?*

CaptainK

Club Member

Wed 01 Feb 17 10:34

Ddave wrote (View Post):Nice.. What colour is yours? Do you have any pictures?

Given all that originality, How attached are you to your big block hood? 😀

For some reason I only just noticed this post and that I didn't reply. Sorry about that.

My 1968 is blue and I love my big block hood. Its gets people excited when they see the car and think "Wow! its a big block!". Just gotta remember not to lift the bonnet up...... (my little 327)

Ddave

Club Member

Sun 26 Mar 17 10:01

doesnt look much.. but these pix encapsulate;
new power steering pump and slave cyl
new brake booster
new wiper motor (and rewire as the original had been hacked about)
complete vacuum system from scratch - was totally missing
installation OEM pop up headlight units in lieu of rectangular fixed jobbies (made painful by poor quality and incomplete cores)
new original style valve covers/pcv setup; thermostat housing etc
plugs, leads and most importantly.. a few stickers Smile

and probably a few other jobs that have been blocked from my scarred memory...

the car is 'at the farm' atm getting a new seatbelt anchor welded in (original had been poorly helicoiled by previous owner) - and will get punted on to the body shop next week for paint... by the time it comes back - the interior will be finished; will go back in the car and it might finally be on the road...

yenko 1969

Club Member

Sun 26 Mar 17 11:00

Morning Dave, good work. Maybe the Vac Can I think goes the other way around the hose at bottom?

--------------------
Barn find L88 in UK

Ddave

Club Member

Sun 26 Mar 17 11:30

i was dithering on that!! some photos online have have them to the top, some to the bottom...

yenko 1969

Club Member

Sun 26 Mar 17 13:17

Bottom! NCRS trust me.......

--------------------
Barn find L88 in UK

Reply to topic
View previous topicEmail to a FriendPrinter FriendlyPrivate MessengerView next topic

Go to page: Previous / 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 / Next

Permissions