» WTB: C6 Auto Coupe For Sale? by Atomic UK on Fri 09 Nov 18 02:27

» Spring Compressor by L88 on Thu 08 Nov 18 22:01

» My Ideal Vette by Jack75 on Thu 08 Nov 18 16:59

» Refurbishing wheels, factory finish by RumblinRon on Thu 08 Nov 18 13:45

» Visual differences US and Export models? by BlackZeD on Thu 08 Nov 18 13:28

» Help with newly acquired 72 350 Auto by Jimbo64 on Wed 07 Nov 18 16:52

» Coilovers by Daytona Vette on Wed 07 Nov 18 11:10

» CCCUK West Sussex meeting in November by robbiew on Wed 07 Nov 18 10:48

» South Central Regional Supper Club Meet by Daytona Vette on Tue 06 Nov 18 17:35

» Car Control by philv8 on Tue 06 Nov 18 14:51

» BBCN Region CHRISTMAS Dinner by Nicetie on Tue 06 Nov 18 12:54

» New Exhaust Controller for non-TPP C6 going cheap by 86vetteman on Tue 06 Nov 18 11:52

» Corvette required by roscobbc on Mon 05 Nov 18 22:19

» Original 2009 C6 tyres by BlackZeD on Mon 05 Nov 18 18:04

» What did you do with your Vette today? by Norm on Mon 05 Nov 18 16:36

» Air chambers by roppa440 on Mon 05 Nov 18 15:41

» Adrian Flux - Christmas 2018 Opening Hours by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX on Mon 05 Nov 18 14:03

» South Central Regional Meeting and Midlands-ish Breakfast Club - November by Daytona Vette on Mon 05 Nov 18 12:56

C6 torque tube

Reply to topic
View previous topicEmail to a FriendPrinter FriendlyView next topic

Author

mach2andy

Club Member

Sat 22 Apr 17 09:27

C6 torque tube

Does anyone know how common a problem the torque tube failure is on a C6? To be mechanically precise, I think it's a failure of the prop shaft bearings inside the torque tube which seems to start with a tinkling rattling noise? Does it affect both manual and auto cars? Low mileage/high mileage cars? Does it happen when the car is hot, when it's cold or does temperature have no affect? Has anyone out there had to have one fixed, or indeed fixed one themselves? Was there ever a GM recall on this issue? Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated.

BlackZeD

Club Member

Sat 22 Apr 17 13:51

Re: C6 torque tube

I've heard reports of the slave cylinder failing causing a grinding noise.
Also the rubber joining parts from the engine to drive shaft fail as well.
You haven't said what your fault actually is.

Dave.

--------------------
Don't take life too seriously, after all, your not coming out of it alive.

mach2andy

Club Member

Sat 22 Apr 17 14:55

Hi Dave
I don't have a C6, but I'm thinking of buying one. But I am a little put off by what appears to be a not uncommon problem which I think was also an issue with the C5? So I suppose I'm just trying to get a feel for how common or not it is?

Nogbad

Club Member

Sat 22 Apr 17 15:42

I've had 2 C6's over about 6 years and a C5 for 3 years or more and never had a problem with transmission,or anything else for that matter. In my opinion they are pretty much bullet proof !

--------------------
Red C7 Stingray
AC Cobra (Dax) 5.7 Chevy with straight through sidepipes = LOUD! Soon to be stroked to 6.3

BlackZeD

Club Member

Sat 22 Apr 17 16:07

As Nogbad says above, ive had 2 C5s and now have a C6 Z06, I haven't had any
problems with the drive train at all.
The ones I mentioned are the only ones that I know about.
You could try searching the corvetteforum.com for more info.
In my opinion some guys regularly have up to 600+ horsepower through
them and don't mention any drivetrain upgrades due to failing etc.

Dave.

--------------------
Don't take life too seriously, after all, your not coming out of it alive.

5 USA

Club Member

Sat 22 Apr 17 16:27

mach2andy wrote (View Post):I think it's a failure of the prop shaft bearings inside the torque tube which seems to start with a tinkling rattling noise?

I've never heard of that one.

My C5 auto certainly had a slight rattle from the torque tube throughout its life - I owned the car for 12 years from new. The rattle was typically audible in neutral or in other "no load" conditions and is just a feature of the car's mechanical layout. My belief, rightly or wrongly, was that the rattle came from joints rather than bearings.

For what it's worth my understanding is that in manual cars the clutch is attached to the front-mounted engine whereas in auto's the torque converter is attached to the rear-mounted transmission. This may clearly make a difference to if/when the torque tube rattles.

"The driveshaft is held in place by bearings inside the torque tube. In 2001, a stronger driveshaft was put into all C5s to cope with the higher performance of the Z06. The driveshaft was changed from a metal matrix composite to aluminum alloy 6061, and was increased in diameter from 55 mm to 63 mm."
http://www.chevydiy.com/c5-corvette-performance-driveline-gu...

--------------------
The Stingray has landed!

CUSTOM EXOTICS

Addict

Sat 22 Apr 17 22:15

Huuuum not unheard of we have just pulled the transfer out of our manual c5 due to vibrations and being told prob the rubber doughnuts, they looked perfect when remove, we replaced with the 6 shooter poly items but vibration still remained pulled transfer again after first road test due to loss of clutch turns out the performance clutch with 7000 miles on it had let go ordered new clutch through monkfish performance but due to larger size of this as really designed for the marrano we had to drop the bell housing, thank God as we discovered it was badly split. But bit of chicken and egg here did bell housing cause clutch or clutch cause bell housing anyway this is only time I have seen or heard of this and very very unlikely you will ever have prob with the proper or doughnuts !!!!! Ps ours is over 600hp with the supercharger hope this puts your mind at rest. Pps even the gearbox and different internals were mint as we did the gasgets on them both at same time !

--------------------
nothing to prove

C6NL

Club Member

Wed 26 Apr 17 12:35

I had a rattle on my car at 130.000 Km which turned out to be the Clutch Pilot Bearing. Because replacing the part means taking halve the car apart I decided to replace all the clutch components, although not worn, clutch slave cylinder, and the three bearings in the torque tube. From the three bearings in the torque tube one was making some noise when you turn it in your hands, it didn't while it was installed, the other two were in good shape. So I would say that a torque tube failure is not a common failure for the C6.

--------------------
Callaway Honker
Ported throttle body
Ported intake
Crane Cams 1.8 ratio rockers
Kooks Jet Hot coated headers
Pfadt Johnny O'Connel shocks
Hotchkis sway bars
Diablosport Trinity with custom tune
Brian Tooley Racing valve spring kit

When launching and stopping this beast, passengers may experience temporary black-out due to "G" forces
caused by acceleration and deceleration speeds faster than what they are normally accustomed to.

craigyboy

Club Member

Thu 27 Apr 17 09:36

Unless you are doing very hard launches at a drag strip all the time you won't have any issues with the torque tube at all

Reply to topic
View previous topicEmail to a FriendPrinter FriendlyPrivate MessengerView next topic

Permissions