CCCUK logo

Lancaster Insurance

Website Control

Recent threads

New Forum Posts

» C5 standard wheels and one aftermarket multispoke. by L88 on Sun 21 Oct 18 16:13

» Help with newly acquired 72 350 Auto by Grahamred70 on Sun 21 Oct 18 12:17

» CCCUK East Sussex meeting in October by Sea5 on Sat 20 Oct 18 22:21

» C2/C3 rear trailing arms plus other parts by L88 on Sat 20 Oct 18 13:56

» Le Mans 2019 by kentvette on Sat 20 Oct 18 12:48

» 2009 C6 LS3 wing mirrors by 86vetteman on Fri 19 Oct 18 16:13

» A trio of C2 owners. by L88 on Fri 19 Oct 18 14:46

» Silverstone Classic 2019 by curious bystander on Thu 18 Oct 18 20:01

» AC belt by corvetteville on Thu 18 Oct 18 17:55

» Spec lists by kentvette on Thu 18 Oct 18 16:41

» Birdcage repair by johng on Thu 18 Oct 18 12:49

» Strange tacho by kentvette on Thu 18 Oct 18 12:44

» What did you do with your Vette today? by FIVE RED on Thu 18 Oct 18 12:25

» C3 Hooker Side Pipe headers by icandycanvas on Wed 17 Oct 18 16:18

» C3 Side Exhaust Pipes by icandycanvas on Tue 16 Oct 18 20:52

» Wiper actuator on a 69L by Ddave on Tue 16 Oct 18 18:36

» Tips by CaptainK on Tue 16 Oct 18 13:44

» Im interested in a C5 Z06 (this time next year) by Benbay001 on Tue 16 Oct 18 12:55

» Engine cutting out after firing up by Firepit on Tue 16 Oct 18 09:19

» Thinking About Hanging Them Up....... by Norm on Mon 15 Oct 18 15:44

» BBCN Regional meet by Nicetie on Mon 15 Oct 18 12:57

» C5 O2 sensor code?? by roppa440 on Mon 15 Oct 18 08:45

» C2 fibreglassing and prep. by L88 on Sun 14 Oct 18 17:16

» Road Atlanta this weekend. by UkBeancounter on Sun 14 Oct 18 14:29

» New Series of Wheeler Dealers an 02 Z06?? by dex99 on Sun 14 Oct 18 12:02

» Door removal on 79 coupe by Nigelcurry on Sat 13 Oct 18 20:01

» American Day - Museum of Power Essex by Forrest Gump on Sat 13 Oct 18 17:44

» C5 Performance Projects - book by robbiew on Fri 12 Oct 18 21:19

» speed bleeders by Grahamred70 on Fri 12 Oct 18 16:17

» South Central Regional Meeting and Midlands-ish Breakfast Club - October by Daytona Vette on Fri 12 Oct 18 10:44

Stock thermostat opening temp

Go to page: Previous / 1, 2, 3, 4 / Next

Reply to topic
View previous topicEmail to a FriendPrinter FriendlyView next topic

Author

roppa440

Club Member

Wed 04 Oct 17 15:31

Re: Stock thermostat opening temp

Nothing in the 2001 owners manual. Maybe it's in the "workshop" manual? I have a copy at home so I will check later.

I will run the car up to temp tonight. Maybe I can feel it in the hose when the thermostat opens and I will note the temp the fans first come on.

If it is a 187 thermostat its certainly not worth swapping it for a 180 and I just need to change the temp that the fans come on.

Redlevel

Club Member

Wed 04 Oct 17 16:29

roppa440 wrote (View Post):stevel98 wrote (View Post):My thermostat is a 160deg unit, but the car runs about 180-185 on a hot day on the motorway (the fan is set to come on at 170).

The opening temp is usually a bit lower than the running temp.

I would put a 180F thermostat in your engine. That way it will warm up quicker without effecting running temps. Thumbs up

I had an issue with a fan failure a while back and my temp shot up into the 260 mark, like really quickly, which lit a red lamp on the dash and dumped all my coolant out of the expansion tank as it defeated the rad cap spring valve.

Luckily the motor was ok, so I fitted the 160, new fan motor and a temperature adjustable fan controller to keep things cool which it does and the motor now warms up to about 180 in about 3 miles which is fine.

Yes, I know that these motors are designed to run hot well into the 200's+, and I realise that the book says its ok, but I really don't have the bottle to let it get that close again as its only the fan(s) that prevent the motor overheating which it can do very quickly and without warning of impending doom!

Unlike an older motor where you can watch the overheating process creeping up gradually, these motors react very quickly. None of my other cars run anywhere near the 200 mark including Michelle's Chevy S10, so I prefer to have the Corvette run a little cooler than it should be.

roppa440

Club Member

Wed 04 Oct 17 23:39

Yes but you just said it runs at 180. Not 160.

So why are you using. 160?

It amazes me how most people, even intelligent people, just don't get it.

Th thermostat only dictates the minimum engine temp and has nothing to do with max temp.

If it runs at 180 then opening at 160 just means the engine gets cooler water before it's needed. Which means it takes longer to reach 180. Whatever happens after 180 is nothing to do with the thermostat. It's been wide open since 160. It's not doing anything.

Jesus. It's like talking to second amendment nutters. Lol

Last edited by roppa440 on Wed 04 Oct 17 23:40; edited 1 time in total. [1 %]

lolmans34

Club Member

Thu 05 Oct 17 00:01

Well,...the stock thermostat for an '84-'88 is a 195F deg. ( from the factory parts manual), from my own driving experience of an '87 .....normal driving 176-178F on display, rising to 210F when stuck in traffic, at this point the fan kicks in until 176F is achieved. This is a stock, unmodified Z52 vehicle.

roppa440

Club Member

Thu 05 Oct 17 09:42

Right ho then.
Had a good test last night.

I have come to the conclusion my 2002 has a 195F thermostat fitted.

Was not sure at first exactly when the thermostat STARTED to open as the only bit of hose I could get my hand on was close to the hot block but it was definitely fully open by 196F.

Fans didn't come on until 198F. Once they came on the temp dropped to 192F quite quickly which shows the cooling system is capable of cooling the water below the thermostat rate.
Then after about 30 seconds stepped up to 194F and stayed there.

To me that shows that the thermostat is hovering slightly open at that point. Balancing the engine block water temp and cooler radiator water.

Fans stayed on and temp stayed at 194F solid. So not sure how far the temp has to drop before the fans switch back off but I bet it is not much lower than that temp.

So if I am right about the efficiency of the cooling system then in my case fitting a 180 F thermostat can bring the max temp down (with the fans running) but I need to get the fans coming on and off at lower temperatures otherwise the engine is still going to reach 198F at times and the fans will be switching off again much higher than the thermostat rating and so limiting the temperature drop.

If I can get the engine stable at around 180F-185F then that will make a performance difference big enough to feel.

Redlevel

Club Member

Thu 05 Oct 17 09:44

roppa440 wrote (View Post):Yes but you just said it runs at 180. Not 160.

So why are you using. 160?

It amazes me how most people, even intelligent people, just don't get it.

Th thermostat only dictates the minimum engine temp and has nothing to do with max temp.

If it runs at 180 then opening at 160 just means the engine gets cooler water before it's needed. Which means it takes longer to reach 180. Whatever happens after 180 is nothing to do with the thermostat. It's been wide open since 160. It's not doing anything.

Jesus. It's like talking to second amendment nutters. Lol

The running temp of the motor when warmed up is usually around 15-20deg higher that the stated opening temp of the thermostat. If I used a 180 unit, my running temp would be back in the 200 range and I don't want that so I use a 160, which keeps it cooler. Its been that way for years now.

Your probably right, but its been that way for years now and I currently have a cool running L98, which I find comforting after years of "normal" running around the 210mark and experiencing it hitting 265 in the blink of an eye when the fan stopped.. I've never had a car get so hot so very quickly and make such a mess when most of my coolant burst out of the expansion tank and trailed glycol behind me like a WW2 aircraft with a radiator hit..

I'm not saying your wrong, and you do make more sense than most, but this works out for me very well. Thumbs up

roppa440

Club Member

Thu 05 Oct 17 09:50

The reason for all this is my mate in Denver, that I go on road trips with, just fitted a 180F thermostat to his 2012 Challenger R/T 5.7 Hemi and had his fans adjusted to come on at a lower temp too.

He wishes he had done that years ago. Made a big difference to him. Much like the performance increase we felt when we dropped down to sea level from "Mile High" Denver on our last trip.

You don't get something for nothing. He has seen a slight drop in MPG and might have a slight increase in emissions too. But, then again, he can't keep his foot off the pedal with this new found power so that could be the cause of that. Smile

Last edited by roppa440 on Thu 05 Oct 17 09:52; edited 1 time in total. [0 %]

Redlevel

Club Member

Thu 05 Oct 17 09:54

lolmans34 wrote (View Post):Well,...the stock thermostat for an '84-'88 is a 195F deg. ( from the factory parts manual), from my own driving experience of an '87 .....normal driving 176-178F on display, rising to 210F when stuck in traffic, at this point the fan kicks in until 176F is achieved. This is a stock, unmodified Z52 vehicle.

That sounds about right, but since I fitted my 160, I never see the wrong side of 190, even after a thrash or stuck in traffic. 180 is normal for me.

One thing I did used to do when I first got my '87 and was travelling on the motorway a lot with the temp around the 215 mark Surprised was to open the windows and run the demister. This would quickly drop the temp about 20deg.. Never had a car that doing this had such a marked effect.

roppa440

Club Member

Thu 05 Oct 17 09:54

[quote="stevel98";p="144843"]roppa440 wrote (View Post):
I'm not saying your wrong, and you do make more sense than most, but this works out for me very well. Thumbs up

Yeah sorry I was getting rather drunk when I replied last night. Doh

But it was "Hump Day". Very Happy

Redlevel

Club Member

Thu 05 Oct 17 09:58

roppa440 wrote (View Post):The reason for all this is my mate in Denver, that I go on road trips with, just fitted a 180F thermostat to his 2012 Challenger R/T 5.7 Hemi and had his fans adjusted to come on at a lower temp too.

He wishes he had done that years ago. Made a big difference to him. Much like the performance increase we felt when we dropped down to sea level from "Mile High" Denver on our last trip.

You don't get something for nothing. He has seen a slight drop in MPG and might have a slight increase in emissions too. But, then again, he can't keep his foot off the pedal with this new found power so that could be the cause of that. Smile

..hey, hey, Kowalski, ..can you hear me, man? Cool

Reply to topic
View previous topicEmail to a FriendPrinter FriendlyPrivate MessengerView next topic

Go to page: Previous / 1, 2, 3, 4 / Next

Permissions