CCCUK logo

Adrian Flux

Website Control

Recent threads

New Forum Posts

» AMERICAN SPEEDFEST 7 on 1st - 2nd JUNE 2019 by Blackadder on Sat 15 Dec 18 22:33

» Tesla Pick Up by Jack Cooper on Sat 15 Dec 18 21:46

» Fuse replacements by Daytona Vette on Sat 15 Dec 18 13:29

» wet carpets by kentvette on Sat 15 Dec 18 09:24

» Another day, another Mid-Engine Corvette thread by Norm on Fri 14 Dec 18 23:31

» Once A Vette Head - Always A Vette Head! by Jimbo64 on Fri 14 Dec 18 20:40

» Insurance recommenations by BlackZeD on Fri 14 Dec 18 20:31

» Help with newly acquired 72 350 Auto by Jimbo64 on Fri 14 Dec 18 18:54

» 2007 C6 Z51 BX08 ECV - Any Former Owners Here? by Atomic UK on Fri 14 Dec 18 16:44

» South Central Midlands Supper Club Meet by Daytona Vette on Fri 14 Dec 18 11:58

» 2002 C5 Coupe by roppa440 on Fri 14 Dec 18 10:29

» CCCUK West Sussex Xmas meeting tonight 13th December by Sea5 on Thu 13 Dec 18 17:14

» Outer Door Handles by kentvette on Thu 13 Dec 18 11:13

» How Many Miles Does Your Corvette Get Driven? by Skoosh1970 on Thu 13 Dec 18 11:08

» What did you do with your Vette today? by roscobbc on Wed 12 Dec 18 12:09

» Website Copy and Paste by Rich on Wed 12 Dec 18 07:51

» Trimmer/upholsterer by Forrest Gump on Tue 11 Dec 18 20:06

» Bloodhound SSC by Atomic UK on Mon 10 Dec 18 13:04

» Spotted C2 by Jan25 on Mon 10 Dec 18 09:01

» Facebook page by fat_jogger on Sun 09 Dec 18 19:36

» O.m.g. by Redlevel on Sun 09 Dec 18 17:35

» C5 Harmonic balancer wobbling! by therabster on Sat 08 Dec 18 22:02

» My C8 Grump by Vetteheadtony on Sat 08 Dec 18 13:05

» C7 Z06 by MShaky on Fri 07 Dec 18 15:17

» Replacement head unit for US spec C6 by Young Bill on Fri 07 Dec 18 10:10

» Kelsey Hayes Aluminum Wheels by Daytona Vette on Thu 06 Dec 18 01:05

» Thames Vally Region trip to Studio 434 by Nicetie on Wed 05 Dec 18 22:33

» C6 LED halos by autocolor on Wed 05 Dec 18 19:20

» 2007 C6 ZO6, Manual. by Fraser on Wed 05 Dec 18 15:50

» 2019 Nationals by curious bystander on Wed 05 Dec 18 11:15

C5 rear spring failure - help needed

Go to page: 1, 2 / Next

Reply to topic
View previous topicEmail to a FriendPrinter FriendlyView next topic

Author

Yellowshark

Club Member

Wed 27 Sep 17 12:46

C5 rear spring failure - help needed

Hi everyone,

Well last week I was driving back from France (including overtaking Stephen Irons in his Skoda on the A28, a small world!) and as I turned into my drive to the garage, at 2-3mph rather than 84mph, there was a loud bang from the rear. On inspection the left rear of the C5 was lowered and I could just see the left hand side (LHS) segment of the rear spring hanging down to the ground and some rusty bent metal on the ground.

Having now got the rear jacked up I can see what happened. Each end of the spring has a metal collar attached I do not know but assume its purpose is to stop the metal retaining bolt rubbing against the composite material of the spring?

The rusty bent metal was the disintegrated collar from the LHS and the retaining bolt with the lower insulator had just slipped through the retaining bolt hole in the spring. Checking the RHS showed that collar to be in bad shape too. And my next job will be to jack up the front and check the front collars!

So question 1. The easiest fix is to buy two new collars for the rear. But does anyone know if these collars can be bought separately or am I going to need to buy a new spring at $600+? My searches so far have not shown any collars for sale.

Another option is to try a Corvette breakers yard, few and far between in the UK, but I do not fancy second hand on this. I do not want the same thing to happen again in a few years time when I am doing 84mph on a French motorway rather that 2-3mph up my garage drive. God only knows what would have happened!

Question 2. It seems to me that I may as well also renew the retaining bolt assembly. My first internet searching with the likes of Ecklers, Zip etc. has only thrown up bolts aimed at lowering the car, which is not something I want to do. Does anyone know where I can get a standard length bolt assembly?

If that is not possible is it as simple as measuring the difference in length between the two bolts and adding that difference to the length of bolt currently protruding through the top nut of the bolt assembly to get the current ride height?

I have base rear suspension but would be quite happy to have this start a conversion to a Z51 type suspension if I really do have to buy a new spring.

Thanks for any help you can give on this one. Anyone heard of this happening before?

FIVE RED

Club Member

Wed 27 Sep 17 13:23

Re: C5 rear spring failure - help needed

I know the parts that you are talking about and in an ideal world GM would have had these galvanised. If you can't buy them individually it's likely a fabrication company could make them quite easily, may be worth looking into rather than pay for a whole new spring assembly.

--------------------
Graham.
C5 owner & very happy about it!

berg944

Addict

Wed 27 Sep 17 13:33

This happened to me when reversing out the drive. Purchased one off eBay for 100, only 30 minutes to swap. Don't worry about used parts, you can easily see any corrosion or cracks on the bracket.

--------------------
Mike

berg944

Addict

Wed 27 Sep 17 13:42

One on eBay at the moment 120
Looks OK, ignore surface rust, treat before you fit.
I now treat mine every year with a ACF 50.

--------------------
Mike

Yellowshark

Club Member

Wed 27 Sep 17 14:54

Thanks guys. Did you mean $120 for a collar or entire spring? I have just gone onto ebay and found an FE3 spring (Z51) from a 2002 for $100 which looks in very good shape - I think I may have to ignore my earlier negative comment about 2nd hand!!!
Lol galvanising, why on earth make it ouf steel instead of aluminium

Good tip on the annual maintenance - my son has just started up a carburettor restoration business and has a large container of some Kurust prevention product. I will check the ACF 50 stuff against that and see how they compare. Obviously something I should have been doing years ago. And I do wonder how it got through the MOT about a month ago

kentvette

Club Member

Wed 27 Sep 17 15:22

Blimey Pete, that was lucky! A bit of broken spring might have hit our car! Very Happy Very Happy

Seriously, glad it only happened at slow speed, sounds like it may not be as hard a fix as first thought.

--------------------
Stephen J Irons
CCCUK Lifetime Member
Corvette Club France
Corvettes of Southern California
NCM Family Member
Stephen & June's Web Site
Red Corvettes Have More Fun!

Apple IS Genisys!
The "Born-Again Greenies" are killing the planet! It's time to wake up and smell the rain-forest burning!

Yellowshark

Club Member

Wed 27 Sep 17 15:35

Lol Stephen, I think the problem would have been me doing a 720 in front of you! yes the fix looks easy, certainly easier than having to jack up the rear with one side about an inch from the floor. I am now on ebay trying to buy front and rear FE3 springs and a rear FE3 sway bar, but struggling due to freight costs missing

berg944

Addict

Wed 27 Sep 17 16:04

120 + 15 p&p in England .......I have no connection to the seller.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2532-1997-Chevrolet-Corvette-C5-Re...

Lots for sale in USA, must not be a problem.

Mine was fractured then the salt water got in. I had a seized shock on that corner, that and a few pot holes would of cracked it.

Mot will not pick it up because you have to dismantle it to see it, it works fine until the day it doesn't. We must both be lucky to have that happen at walking pace.

--------------------
Mike

Yellowshark

Club Member

Wed 27 Sep 17 22:43

Yes there are indeed quite a few over the pond. Although Tom's rear spring would be a lot cheaper with much lower freight and custom duties, that one is showing a considerable amount of rust although how much is difficult to tell from a photo. I have now progressed and bought a Z51 rear spring and Z51 rear sway bar both of which look very clean and am very close to buying a Z51 front spring. So with the forum help I believe I have resolved my problem and in addition started down the road to a Z51 conversion. Right now the shocks feel OK but 16year old 152,000 mile set of shocks have probably gone past the point where renewal would be a good idea! So once the Springs and sway bars have been fitted I will probably start looking for a set of Z06 shocks; as I understand it the same spec as the Z51 spec. although the 2004 MY Z06 version had additional work done on the new adjustable preload valving and may be a better option.

Interesting comment on the MOT. When I checked the RHS collar the rust was staring me in the face! I will look again in the morning!

z06_tim

Club Member

Thu 28 Sep 17 06:30

Pretty sure the Z06 shocks were different to the other models, i.e. the stiffest shocks fitted to a C5. They had low velocity damping increased, which effectively slows the onset of body roll, stiffening the ride a little. It should help improve turn-in response, which you would notice with a quick lane change. 2004MY Z06 were definitely improved further. I think there was a smaller improvement going from 2001 to 2002 Z06 shocks too that made the car more able to squat when putting the power down, I believe eliminating a tendency for axle tramp.

--------------------
2001 Z06, 1994 LT1 (sold)
Alfa 147 GTA daily driver.

Reply to topic
View previous topicEmail to a FriendPrinter FriendlyPrivate MessengerView next topic

Go to page: 1, 2 / Next

Permissions