CCCUK logo

Heritage Insurance

Website Control

Recent threads

New Forum Posts

» Look what is happening at Santa Pod by Daytona Vette on Thu 23 Nov 17 03:10

» New Teslas.. by roscobbc on Wed 22 Nov 17 23:15

» North Wales & Cheshire Vette Owner - 2018 Meets by curious bystander on Wed 22 Nov 17 22:29

» Fame Valkenburg by Rich on Wed 22 Nov 17 22:26

» HVAC Vacuum Programmer by gary 53 on Wed 22 Nov 17 19:40

» Interesting C7 Seller (Adrian Reynard) by chevrolet on Wed 22 Nov 17 12:56

» Problem using Website by WelshVette on Wed 22 Nov 17 09:22

» Very inactive here by roscobbc on Wed 22 Nov 17 00:34

» Maisto 1:18 Scale '57 Corvette by VetteWeekend on Tue 21 Nov 17 21:51

» Alternators and Starters by CaptainK on Tue 21 Nov 17 08:52

» Drag Race your Corvette by CaptainK on Tue 21 Nov 17 08:46

» Gas Tank by macquigley on Mon 20 Nov 17 08:18

» Roadster Shop's '63 Vette at SEMA 2017 by chevrolet on Sun 19 Nov 17 10:21

» Parkers Guide C6 Prices by Vetteheadtony on Sat 18 Nov 17 21:16

» Classic American mag by Vetteheadtony on Sat 18 Nov 17 20:49

» Diablew Intune I2 software tuner GM Vehicles 1999 to 2008 by dex99 on Sat 18 Nov 17 15:21

» For Sale Custom LS6 intake by dex99 on Sat 18 Nov 17 15:20

» trying to find MIJ3700 red manual 77 by chevrolet on Fri 17 Nov 17 11:48

» Great Western Classic Car Show by curious bystander on Fri 17 Nov 17 10:57

» New Years Day at Claremont Corvette by kentvette on Fri 17 Nov 17 10:52

» Manual window regulator for 1969 C3 by Daytona Vette on Thu 16 Nov 17 23:49

» Performance Car Show - NEC by curious bystander on Thu 16 Nov 17 20:10

» Brooklands Museum - Weybridge by curious bystander on Thu 16 Nov 17 19:49

» Lowering my c4 by stuart2379 on Thu 16 Nov 17 19:06

» ZR1 Dubai Debut by kentvette on Thu 16 Nov 17 16:04

» C5 Stormforce Outdoor Cover For Sale by MShaky on Thu 16 Nov 17 15:37

» C4 Headlight conversions.. by gary 53 on Thu 16 Nov 17 09:29

» Corvette C5 clutch noise. by shorty on Wed 15 Nov 17 21:03

» C5 by 5 USA on Wed 15 Nov 17 20:58

» Laying the Car up for Winter? Not This Guy! by z06_tim on Tue 14 Nov 17 20:05

What does this wire do / connect to?

Go to page: 1, 2 / Next

Reply to topic
View previous topicEmail to a FriendPrinter FriendlyView next topic

Author

CaptainK

Club Member

Fri 10 Nov 17 12:03

What does this wire do / connect to?

Hello all. 1968 with a 327 engine. All standard engine etc.

Was looking in my engine bay yesterday and noticed something I hadn't seen before - a wire coming out from the main red / positive alternator cable.

The wire has a small spade connector on the end of it and the end of it was tucked up underneath my driver's side exhaust manifold. I'm guessing it was connected to nothing, as there seems to be nothing in that area for it to connect to - but I'm surprised that with it being a "positive" cable that it hasn't tapped up against the engine and shorted itself out..... :O

See attached pic. I've put yellow arrows pointing to the wire in question, but if not, its the thin wire coming from the bottom left of the pic where it connects to the main positive cable to the alternator. For the benefit of the picture I ran it out over the steering box so you could see it, but it was tucked up underneath the manifold above the two spark plugs in the middle of the photo.

Last edited by CaptainK on Fri 10 Nov 17 12:08; edited 2 times in total. [4 %]

Daytona Vette

Club Member

Fri 10 Nov 17 14:03

Re: What does this wire do / connect to?

Is your water Temp gauge working, looks like the wire that connects to the sensor

--------------------
Barry - Daytona Vette

kentvette

Club Member

Fri 10 Nov 17 14:09

I'd go with Barry's suggestion. The sender is tucked up under the manifold, slightly forward of the exhaust down-pipe and tricky to see. If it's like mine, the original spade is pretty loose on the connector - I fitted a new spade with an insulating shroud.

--------------------
Stephen J Irons
CCCUK Lifetime Member
Corvette Club France
Corvettes of Southern California
NCM Family Member
Stephen & June's Web Site
Red Corvettes Have More Fun!

Apple IS Genisys!
The "Born-Again Greenies" are killing the planet! It's time to wake up and smell the rain-forest burning!

CaptainK

Club Member

Fri 10 Nov 17 14:38

By any chance do you mean this funny looking thing that is tucked up under the manifold? I couldn't see it un-aided, so I shoved the camera up there. Just for the benefit of location, that is between the first and second plugs from the left when looking at the driver's side of the engine.

Aka alternator just off screen, then first plug from left, then funny looking thing with no spade connector, then second plug from left, then the exhaust manifold downshaft just to the right hand side of the photo.

Problem is, I can't see how a spade connector attaches to it Confused

Last edited by CaptainK on Fri 10 Nov 17 14:56; edited 1 time in total. [45 %]

Mick Howes

Club Member

Fri 10 Nov 17 15:50

Hi, that looks like the modded type, when I had my 79 C3, the original sensor failed and I got one that looked like this. The only way I could attach the connector was by using one of those open ended connectors (the horse shoe type), then crimp it is as tight as possible, and yes I kinow, it's in a real bugger of a place to get at, really a job done from underneath, have fun!

Last edited by Mick Howes on Fri 10 Nov 17 15:51; edited 1 time in total. [1 %]
--------------------
C4- ok now officially a convert!
www.mickhowes.freewebspace.com

Daytona Vette

Club Member

Fri 10 Nov 17 17:05

It simply slides on, try it first and then if it is a tad loose compress the spade connector a very slight amount and try again until you have a more secure fit

--------------------
Barry - Daytona Vette

kentvette

Club Member

Fri 10 Nov 17 17:22

Oooer! That doesn't look like mine. Very Happy Interesting how different the 327 is from the 350. Looks as though the spade would just slide on, but at 90 degrees to the normal way?

--------------------
Stephen J Irons
CCCUK Lifetime Member
Corvette Club France
Corvettes of Southern California
NCM Family Member
Stephen & June's Web Site
Red Corvettes Have More Fun!

Apple IS Genisys!
The "Born-Again Greenies" are killing the planet! It's time to wake up and smell the rain-forest burning!

roscobbc

Committee Member

Fri 10 Nov 17 17:30

The 'spade' connector shown in the first image simply slides over the raised head of the temperature sender - it is at 90 degrees to the vertical - i.e it slides on sideways. If loose squeeze the connector slightly with a pair of pliers. Question is - does the sender work? - does the temperature gauge in the dash work?

--------------------
CCCUK Chairman & Editor, Vette News
'68 coupe - 4 speed - 3.08 - 489 cu in - 570 bhp @ 5850 rpm - 606 ft/lbs torque (821 Newton Metres) @ 3850 rpm

gtr1999

Addict

Sun 12 Nov 17 14:50

The wiring has been spliced, it was originally a green wire I believe. I would peel it back to see if it's the green wire and then make a good splice with good connections. The switch is the temp sender and is in the correct place- LH side of the head, some guys put them in the intake but you will get a false reading there many times.

I would also look at the wires with the car running, I see them crossed and that can lead to misfire, in the dark at night you might see them arcing.

Last edited by gtr1999 on Sun 12 Nov 17 14:51; edited 1 time in total. [1 %]
--------------------
Gary R
69 'Vert 350 4 spd 373's
72 Coupe 350 TH400 336
75 Coupe 350(400hp)4 spd 373 12bolt,3.5" shafts, 31 spline outer axles.
Building vettes the past 40 years!!!!!

CaptainK

Club Member

Mon 13 Nov 17 08:22

Well done team - yup, it is the coolant sensor and yes the spade connector does fit. Its just a bit loose, but I managed to get it back on. The coolant gauge had previously worked (and still does) but when I was checking the oil and so forth I must have just knocked that wire a bit to make it come off.

I see above concern about the plug leads and so forth. Don't panic, I've already ordered a new distributor and leads and plugs. I'm intending on having an overhaul over winter as to be honest I have no idea when these were last changed (I imported it from America, but the service history seems to have disappeared!). The wiring around the car does seem to be a bit odd here and there, so I'm intending on doing a bit of wiring changes too.

Talking of wiring - does anyone know why my battery has two wires connected to the positive terminal? Obviously I know what the the big thick cable is, but there is a very thin small wire (which is the same "thickness" as the coolant temp sensor wire pictured above) coming off the positive terminal too. It goes immediately towards the front of the car to the car structure border than resides between the driver's seat and battery box and then disappears into it. I have no idea where it goes or what it does :-S

Reply to topic
View previous topicEmail to a FriendPrinter FriendlyPrivate MessengerView next topic

Go to page: 1, 2 / Next

Permissions