CCCUK logo

Heritage Insurance

Website Control

Recent threads

New Forum Posts

» Was this a thing?? by Richard J on Tue 23 Jan 18 05:44

» Sunday Scramble - Bicester Heritage Centre by curious bystander on Mon 22 Jan 18 20:07

» Le Mans 24 Hour by kentvette on Mon 22 Jan 18 17:38

» Leeds Castle Motors by the Moat Sunday 13th May 2018 by 7YEL on Mon 22 Jan 18 13:47

» BBCN Region January Meet by oldtimer on Mon 22 Jan 18 13:42

» Breakfast Club Meet FEBRUARY by Daytona Vette on Mon 22 Jan 18 13:16

» Concours of Elegance by 7YEL on Mon 22 Jan 18 13:14

» Electric Question by Daytona Vette on Mon 22 Jan 18 13:03

» Black '68 by CaptainK on Mon 22 Jan 18 11:41

» C3 headlights . by Chuffer on Mon 22 Jan 18 10:45

» Query on C5 TPM sensor nut torque setting by roppa440 on Mon 22 Jan 18 09:51

» Who to use? by roscobbc on Sun 21 Jan 18 20:45

» BBCN Region February meet at Meguires by autocolor on Sun 21 Jan 18 09:56

» New Exhaust System by eurovettes on Sat 20 Jan 18 20:56

» 5 German Corvette on a North England trip in May by HGW on Sat 20 Jan 18 15:23

» 1976 C3 5.7L Auto For Sale by born2bmild on Sat 20 Jan 18 14:04

» Vinyl hardtop by sublimemike on Sat 20 Jan 18 13:53

» About to buy a C6 by Fishy Dave on Fri 19 Jan 18 22:46

» Steering Wheel Position Sensor - Reset? by Le Vette on Fri 19 Jan 18 17:21

» Zo6 lost all power by Fraser on Fri 19 Jan 18 14:19

» iva test by hoo-raa-boy on Thu 18 Jan 18 18:19

» Classic Car + Autojumble - Hampshire by curious bystander on Thu 18 Jan 18 18:12

» Tyres for Corvette C6 Grand Sport 2011 by BlackZeD on Thu 18 Jan 18 15:36

» C5 Interior Re-Trim by Invetterate on Thu 18 Jan 18 13:32

» BBCN Region January Meet by Nicetie on Thu 18 Jan 18 13:03

» Ordering Spares From The States by FIVE RED on Wed 17 Jan 18 21:09

» [ KB ] C4 Windshield Wiper Adjustments by Ben on Wed 17 Jan 18 19:25

» Steve Cauldwell - DART Corvette by curious bystander on Wed 17 Jan 18 17:16

» C5 wipers go off the screen! by z06_tim on Wed 17 Jan 18 13:21

» What did you do with your Vette today? by 1997BlackC5 on Wed 17 Jan 18 11:58

Tyre issues in USA

Go to page: 1, 2 / Next

Reply to topic
View previous topicEmail to a FriendPrinter FriendlyView next topic

Author

roscobbc

Committee Member

Fri 05 Jan 18 08:17

Tyre issues in USA

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/408...
If you've recently bought a set of US tyres for an earlier Vette or other vehicle you may want to look at this..................... Thumbs up

--------------------
CCCUK Chairman & Editor, Vette News
'68 coupe - 4 speed - 3.08 - 489 cu in - 570 bhp @ 5850 rpm - 606 ft/lbs torque (821 Newton Metres) @ 3850 rpm

eurovettes

CCCUK Supporting Vendor

Fri 05 Jan 18 16:17

I am not sure that Cooper tYres are good brand - I favoUr the goodrich brand
I use Tirerack to import tyres never had a bad quality tyre from them as yet
I am seeing a friend here in San Diego tomorrow night he is a manager at Discount tire here so I will ask about this - over beer of course Smile

roppa440

Club Member

Sat 06 Jan 18 13:44

Re: Tyre issues in USA

Coopers were much easier to get in the UK for a while. Plus they are CHEAP. Which is why many UK American car owners bought them.

BFGs were hard to get at one point as dealers were not allowed to sell them because they didn't conform to UK specs.

So places like North Hants Tyres (that many UK American car owners go to) stopped selling BFGs and Cooper was the best alternative for the budget minded at that time.

Pretty sure that is not the case now though.

Coopers are really bad on a car with any power. Great if you want to do burnouts all the time. Or drive into ditches.

Hercules HP4000 seems to be the tire of choice for the tight arse Yank owner these days. I used them myself on my Challenger 10 years ago. Not really much worse than BFGs to be honest. But much better than Coopers.

BFGs get really hard after a few years. Or used to. 20 years since I last bought a pair so things might have changed.

roscobbc

Committee Member

Sat 06 Jan 18 14:07

roppa440 wrote (View Post):Coopers were much easier to get in the UK for a while. Plus they are CHEAP. Which is why many UK American car owners bought them.

BFGs were hard to get at one point as dealers were not allowed to sell them because they didn't conform to UK specs.

So places like North Hants Tyres (that many UK American car owners go to) stopped selling BFGs and Cooper was the best alternative for the budget minded at that time.

Coopers are really bad on a car with any power. Great if you want to do burnouts all the time. Or drive into ditches.

Hercules HP4000 seems to be the tire of choice for the tight arse Yank owner these days. I used them myself on my Challenger 10 years ago. Not really much worse than BFGs to be honest. But much better than Coopers.

BFGs get really hard after a few years. Or used to. 20 years since I last bought a pair so things might have changed.

An analogy for you Dave. BFG's - the older they get - the less they wear - the less they grip - the more noise they make ('old school' squealing around 10 mph corners)

--------------------
'68 coupe - 4 speed - 3.08 - 489 cu in - 570 bhp @ 5850 rpm - 606 ft/lbs torque (821 Newton Metres) @ 3850 rpm

JonnyC4

Vette News

Sat 06 Jan 18 15:08

I've got General tires on my C4 and they are old, about 12 years. The size 275/40ZR17 98W is a tire which is not being sold here in Europe, by any premium tire brand like Goodyear, Continental, Michelin, etc.

I've emailed around to ask them if they could deliver them, as Goodyear, Continental and Michelin still deliver them in the USA. The answer was, no we don't as they don't have an E-brand on the tires. Only two brands can supply them, Falken and Toyo. But these are not my kind of safe tires.

For our MOT we need tires with an E-brand on it, as like they say, tires from the USA don't meet the specifications of Europe. So it's a mad world out there, I've ordered new ones from Tirerack in the USA and now may a guy from the MOT here Belgium explain me how to get tires in this size with an E-brand.

My old E-brand General tires are really old, but not cracked or something. But I just need them to be replaced out of "general" safety. I hope they arrive soon, so that I can fit them on the white wheels.

--------------------
Compositor of club magazine
Owner of 1988 #1782 35th anniversary Corvette

Daytona Vette

Club Member

Sat 06 Jan 18 15:10

[quote="roppa440";p="146390"] Plus they are CHEAP. Which is why many UK American car owners bought them.

Cooper was the best alternative for the budget minded at that time.

Hercules HP4000 seems to be the tire of choice for the tight arse Yank owner these days.

Traditionally certainly in the past; C3 Owners have comprised the largest single majority of the CCCUK membership and it looks like you have just insulted a large number of them.

The real reason that many people chose Coopers is that there were not many available alternatives at the time

in fact In 1982 I had to import as OE, Goodyear Eagle GTs from Good year in Ohio for my 80 and then on another Vette I had Pirelli P7s, but when they stopped making them (15 x 295s) there was virtually only BF Gs and Coopers available and regardless of my wheel size the issue was the same for the standard C3 Vettes, the only other easily available Tyre at the time was an Avon as produced for the Healey 3000, but it had a poor wet weather tread.

The Cooper choice is down to virtually NO CHOICE

Coopers are not a track Tyre but they are fine with my 460 bhp, I do not rag it and I do not drive into ditches and although they are not the desired choice for wet and dry grip, the Coopers even at a width of 295 have failed to aquaplane in the wet at speeds north of 70mph.

Think before you post. ( I usually enjoy your Posts )

--------------------
Barry - Daytona Vette

roscobbc

Committee Member

Sat 06 Jan 18 15:46

I have laugh to myself when I return to the original thread (lifted off CF forum). Most owners only seem interested in what the tyre looks like, style of the tread pattern and how the white lettering looks! - safety, traction and handling don't always score too high with our cousins 'over the pond' I'm afraid!

--------------------

Nick B

Club Member

Sat 06 Jan 18 18:18

I like to speak as I find.

I used Coopers on a 1979 pro-street Z28 I had a few years back and had no issues with them at all, they looked the business and gripped the road as well as any other tyres I've used on my yanks.

roppa440

Club Member

Sun 07 Jan 18 16:02

Daytona Vette wrote (View Post):

Traditionally certainly in the past; C3 Owners have comprised the largest single majority of the CCCUK membership and it looks like you have just insulted a large number of them.

If you are going to quote me and take offence then quote the full statement.

The bit you clipped off was "I used them myself on my Challenger 10 years ago".

Because have to be a tight arse too at times. They did the job on the street. Made rolling burnouts easy.

Notice how quickly I got "out of shape" with the application of a little throttle at 1min 10 secs into this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTt68Rycm6o

That was with those tyres. Even now they are only around £100 per tyre.

Of course I used 10x28 slicks on the track.

Last edited by roppa440 on Sun 07 Jan 18 16:05; edited 1 time in total. [5 %]

kentvette

Club Member

Sun 07 Jan 18 16:31

JonnyC4 wrote (View Post):......... Only two brands can supply them, Falken and Toyo. But these are not my kind of safe tires.

From a safety standpoint, I wouldn't worry about Falken tyres. They have a pretty good name and the Falken sponsored Porsche did incredibly well over in the US in the
TUSC championship a couple of years ago, running on Falken tyres, of course

We've run BFGs on our '78 ever since we've owned it (28 years this May) and had no issues with them. I did notice that when we changed the last set ('cos they were about 10 years old!) the new ones were a good deal quieter. It's a Classic Car of course, so I'm not looking to "drag" it, or throw it around as if I'm on a race track, but on a number of occasions when better than average grip was required they did what they were supposed to. Thumbs up

I did have to delay buying the latest set for a while though, until they became available with a "E" mark.

Last edited by kentvette on Sun 07 Jan 18 16:32; edited 1 time in total. [4 %]
--------------------
Stephen J Irons
CCCUK Lifetime Member
Corvette Club France
Corvettes of Southern California
NCM Family Member
Stephen & June's Web Site
Red Corvettes Have More Fun!

Apple IS Genisys!
The "Born-Again Greenies" are killing the planet! It's time to wake up and smell the rain-forest burning!

Reply to topic
View previous topicEmail to a FriendPrinter FriendlyPrivate MessengerView next topic

Go to page: 1, 2 / Next

Permissions