CCCUK logo

ShipMyCar.co.uk

Website Control

Recent threads

New Forum Posts

» OBD connector ? 1 or 2 by Coltstingray on Mon 19 Feb 18 21:43

» BBCN Region February meet at Meguires by Nicetie on Mon 19 Feb 18 20:28

» London Classic Car Show - 15th-18th February 2018 by JJVETTE on Mon 19 Feb 18 20:03

» London Classic Car Show by JJVETTE on Mon 19 Feb 18 17:55

» The Scottish Car Show 15th July 2018 by 5150Corvette92 on Mon 19 Feb 18 16:52

» 1979 defogger by Nigelcurry on Mon 19 Feb 18 16:48

» Faulty time clock by stevel98 on Mon 19 Feb 18 16:30

» What did you do with your Vette today? by stevel98 on Mon 19 Feb 18 15:30

» London 'T' charge by roscobbc on Mon 19 Feb 18 00:41

» What do you carry? by stevel98 on Sun 18 Feb 18 18:50

» Action shots! by UkBeancounter on Sat 17 Feb 18 16:36

» RockAuto.com Discount Code for Parts & More - Expires April 4, 2018 by FIVE RED on Sat 17 Feb 18 14:02

» Le Mans 24 Hour by curious bystander on Sat 17 Feb 18 11:58

» c5 or c3??? by roppa440 on Sat 17 Feb 18 07:42

» Rear spring by kentvette on Fri 16 Feb 18 16:18

» Wheel Alignment by Richard J on Fri 16 Feb 18 08:01

» New road tax regs.. by roppa440 on Thu 15 Feb 18 13:03

» Classic Americans at Helicopter Museum- Weston-super-Mare by CaptainK on Thu 15 Feb 18 10:07

» Removing center clocks console on 1979 by kentvette on Tue 13 Feb 18 15:21

» Classic Car Show- Helicopter Museum Weston-super-Mare by CaptainK on Tue 13 Feb 18 11:59

» steel wheels by steve on Mon 12 Feb 18 21:24

» Now we're digital - Membership Renewals by Wacjac on Mon 12 Feb 18 21:23

» C3 Free Stuff by phild on Mon 12 Feb 18 17:35

» Classic Car Weekly Photo-shoot Request by Vette T-Shirt on Mon 12 Feb 18 11:46

» 2000 millennium yellow C5 coupe for sale by jukebox on Mon 12 Feb 18 10:19

» Proper rolling road / dyno tune by CaptainK on Mon 12 Feb 18 09:51

» Films with Corvettes in? by CaptainK on Mon 12 Feb 18 09:49

» Suhl 2018 by C6NL on Sun 11 Feb 18 13:49

» Vintage Motorsport Festival - Cadwell Park by curious bystander on Sat 10 Feb 18 17:15

» Red c5 cab red leather interior ebay by Celcius on Sat 10 Feb 18 10:06

War Bonnet Yellow Paint Supplier

Go to page: 1, 2 / Next

Reply to topic
View previous topicEmail to a FriendPrinter FriendlyView next topic

Author

dave-mansiongardens

Club Member

Mon 11 Dec 17 19:57

War Bonnet Yellow Paint Supplier Message Icon

Has anyone managed to get War Bonnet Yellow Paint in the UK and if you did, who supplied it please?

After a VERY long and tortuous mechanical and now bodywork restoration we have finally got to the stage of painting - the car was originally War Bonnet Yellow (it is a 1971 C3) and I want to stay with the original colour.

I (and the paint shop) had assumed that it would simply be a case of buying the 989 code paint BUT they seem to be hitting a 'dead end' in getting a UK supplier!

Many thanks

Dave

roscobbc

Committee Member

Mon 11 Dec 17 21:30

Re: War Bonnet Yellow Paint Supplier

I'm sure someone will be along in a while with some ideas for you Yes

--------------------
CCCUK Chairman & Editor, Vette News
'68 coupe - 4 speed - 3.08 - 489 cu in - 570 bhp @ 5850 rpm - 606 ft/lbs torque (821 Newton Metres) @ 3850 rpm

stevel98

Awww... join the CCCUK!

Tue 12 Dec 17 09:31

I'm sure it could be mixed, but maybe not exactly as the older shades often contained lead based paints which aren't available any more in their exact shades. One reason why I couldn't get the exact shade of Bright Red for my '87, but maybe I just asked the wrong people. Scratchchin

My spraying guy only paints in red so mine was done in a mix of left over Porsche Guards red (off his bare metal restored 928) and VW Tornado red (off his son's Mk1 GTI). Turned out nice and he noted the quantities and called it Poison Apple red! Very Happy

Having said that, War Bonnet Yellow is a glorious colour. Hope you get that sorted. Yes

Rich

Club Member

Tue 12 Dec 17 10:11

Does this help? It lists the codes for War Bonnet Yellow from other manufacturers.

http://corvettepaintcodes.com/

Valspar Code Y777

PPG Code 2351

DuPont Code 5292

RM Code 2464F

MS Code 4147

Azko Code GMA71:989

WA Code 4148

I have used Halfords before for touch up paint using the WA code, so whilst you obviously need more paint, I'm sure you can source some here.

--------------------
Rich Rogers
CCCUK Lifetime Member
2017 Yellow LT1 Camaro

stevel98

Awww... join the CCCUK!

Tue 12 Dec 17 11:57

When I first got my '87 back in 2001, I bought a licence infill plate for it and a couple of rattle cans of the correct GM Bright Red from Halfords to paint it with. The colour match was perfect.

A few years later, I need to touch it up again as it had suffered stone chips. Back to Halfords, only to be told that as it was an old colour now and mixed with some lead based shades, they couldn't oblige any more despite trying various codes.

Same result at the local paint supplier for the West of Scotland. They could match it closely, but it wouldn't be exactly the same. That's why I decided to just do the whole car in a nicer red.

The problem may not be the colour itself so much as the various mixer shades required to create it. If it were me, I'd contact the paint shop guys mentioned in another thread on here for professional advice.

dave-mansiongardens

Club Member

Tue 12 Dec 17 22:28

Thanks for the equivalent paint codes - I will see if that brings any joy

autocolor

Club Member

Wed 13 Dec 17 17:48

GM WA code is WA4148 any stockist should find this OK.

It is available from Nexa Autocolor ( Was ICI) their code is 3700B (B is for Basecoat)
Available in either 2K or water based
Brown Brothers are the main Nexa stockists if there is one near you, but many independent stockists have Nexa/ICI products as well

Depending n the quality of your existing paint you may want to choose the water based version as this is far less aggressive than a 2K base coat and wont pick up any tender areas and will also seal once dry.

Good Luck

Mike.

--------------------
Mike ,
A red Vette at last and back to a convertible

Vetteheadtony

Club Member

Wed 13 Dec 17 23:37

Mikes bang on with this, I got my Ontario Orange from “car colour services” Romford, they are Nexa (ICI) stockist, unfortunately they were running low on certain tinters which are used to make up the base coat.
Water based would be easier to get but solvent based (basecoat) is getting hard to find Thumbs up

--------------------
Vetteheadtony
2004 Z06 lemans edition pro charged
613 BHP
Black C6 ZR1 wheels
FECKING FAST!!!

autocolor

Club Member

Thu 14 Dec 17 17:53

I see there have been a few comments recently about lead free colours not matching correctly as they used to. This is most likely down to the poorer opacity (coverage) of some lead free colours rather than the colour being incorrect.
Over recent years opacity has been getting poorer, particularly in the bright clean greens /oranges and yellows, so paint manufacturers now recommend the use of "spectral grey" as a base, and this is how colours are matched nowadays with the correct shade underneath, so if you paint a poor opacity colour over an incorrect base the colour may well be compromised either lighter or darker.
When a stockist is mixing a colour, the formulation should say what "SG" is recommended to achieve a good match.

Lead was mainly in the yellow and orange basics and so affects all colours where those basics are used, so Reds, Oranges, Yellows, Greens are those that suffer most depending on how much of the lead free basics are in the formula.

"Here endeth the first lesson"

Good fun this painting lark EH?

--------------------
Mike ,
A red Vette at last and back to a convertible

dave-mansiongardens

Club Member

Sun 17 Dec 17 11:28

Re: War Bonnet Yellow Paint Supplier Message Icon

Many thanks for the wise words guys!!

I have been away on business for a few days (hence the slow response) this should hopefully get the paint shop 'making progress' again.

In terms of base coat etc, the car has been completely stripped of its original paint - all 6 obvious 'variations'' of 'War Bonnet Yellow' that were either 'layered' or 'faded' in to each other............. the body has been aligned, the surface has been taken back and refinished so we are starting from a 'clean and solid' base. The work has been 'substantial' (and painfully expensive!) so I am keen to get a REALLY good and durable paint finish

I'll let you know how we get on

Have a VERY Merry Christmas

Dave

Reply to topic
View previous topicEmail to a FriendPrinter FriendlyPrivate MessengerView next topic

Go to page: 1, 2 / Next

Permissions