» WTB: C6 Auto Coupe For Sale? by Atomic UK on Fri 09 Nov 18 02:27

» Spring Compressor by L88 on Thu 08 Nov 18 22:01

» My Ideal Vette by Jack75 on Thu 08 Nov 18 16:59

» Refurbishing wheels, factory finish by RumblinRon on Thu 08 Nov 18 13:45

» Visual differences US and Export models? by BlackZeD on Thu 08 Nov 18 13:28

» Help with newly acquired 72 350 Auto by Jimbo64 on Wed 07 Nov 18 16:52

» Coilovers by Daytona Vette on Wed 07 Nov 18 11:10

» CCCUK West Sussex meeting in November by robbiew on Wed 07 Nov 18 10:48

» South Central Regional Supper Club Meet by Daytona Vette on Tue 06 Nov 18 17:35

» Car Control by philv8 on Tue 06 Nov 18 14:51

» BBCN Region CHRISTMAS Dinner by Nicetie on Tue 06 Nov 18 12:54

» New Exhaust Controller for non-TPP C6 going cheap by 86vetteman on Tue 06 Nov 18 11:52

» Corvette required by roscobbc on Mon 05 Nov 18 22:19

» Original 2009 C6 tyres by BlackZeD on Mon 05 Nov 18 18:04

» What did you do with your Vette today? by Norm on Mon 05 Nov 18 16:36

» Air chambers by roppa440 on Mon 05 Nov 18 15:41

» Adrian Flux - Christmas 2018 Opening Hours by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX on Mon 05 Nov 18 14:03

» South Central Regional Meeting and Midlands-ish Breakfast Club - November by Daytona Vette on Mon 05 Nov 18 12:56

C3 radiator support and vacuum tank questions

Go to page: 1, 2 / Next

Reply to topic
View previous topicEmail to a FriendPrinter FriendlyView next topic

Author

phorbiuz

Regular

Thu 01 Feb 18 19:45

C3 radiator support and vacuum tank questions

Hello again peeps.

A couple of questions this time if you don't mind on my '78 C3.

First, I'm in the process of removing the radiator support panel and so far the only thing stopping me progressing is the bottom 2 bolts which are rusted in and completely seized in the crumbling support panel. What I did notice though is that the relatively good radiator doesn't seem to be secured at the base. My factory assembly manual in diagram 13b suggests there should be 2x lower support insulators/brackets that fit to the support panel and radiator. Can anyone show me what these would actually look like so I can look for a pair?

Second, I think I have a good lead on why my vacuum system is pretty naff as there's nothing actually attached to it.

Am I right that the valve to the far side of this tank (not pictured) is the feed in? I'm thinking these 2 should connect to the pop up lights, and therefore the best way to test is to block these 2 off and put a pressure gauge in the main feed in?

Thanks.

Dave.

--------------------
Everything's easy, when you know how it's done.

kentvette

Club Member

Fri 02 Feb 18 14:39

Re: C3 radiator support and vacuum tank questions

Dave, The radiator just rests in the brackets at the base of the core support. There are a couple of rubber "insulators" that I think must be the same, or very similar to those at the top. The AIM has a diagram of them, which is attached. I had a quick look and maybe this is what you need, from Zip?
http://www.zip-corvette.com/76l-82-w-ac-2-5-8-radiator-mount...

The "tube" assembly at the front of the chassis doubles as the vacuum reservoir for the lights and is, I believe, what holds them or pulls them shut. So there sold be an "in" line (that is presumably "sucking") and then the two connections in your photo would, I think go to each of the actuators to pull the lamp doors down.

For some reason, it used to common years ago to see Vettes with lamp doors up, and it was always diagnosed as a leak in the system or the front tube. It's not common now, so people must understand the system better!

Last edited by kentvette on Fri 02 Feb 18 15:01; edited 1 time in total. [9 %]
--------------------
Stephen J Irons
CCCUK Lifetime Member
Corvette Club France
Corvettes of Southern California
NCM Family Member
Stephen & June's Web Site
Red Corvettes Have More Fun!

Apple IS Genisys!
The "Born-Again Greenies" are killing the planet! It's time to wake up and smell the rain-forest burning!

phorbiuz

Regular

Fri 02 Feb 18 20:41

Thanks for the reply Kentvette.

The issue for me is that my radiator wasn't sat in anything - it was simply resting on the rad support panel which is crumbling away and as a consequence is/was moving about. I need to figure out if I should have a bracket, an insulator, or a bracket with insulator and then buy what I need.

The radiator looks fairly clean, maybe not that old, so I suspect a recent owner did some quick jobs so the motor could be moved on.

--------------------

VetteWeekend

Webmaster

Fri 02 Feb 18 23:03

This is the bottom of a '75...It has to brackets to take the rubbers that Stephen posted and there are two brackets bolted to the support and to the car. Although only one is actually on this frame as what was left of the other one was still on the car... Very Happy

Last edited by VetteWeekend on Fri 02 Feb 18 23:05; edited 1 time in total. [10 %]
--------------------
CCCUK on Facebook

VetteWeekend
'75 Shark (on a shoestring) - Sold!
'58 Apache - The shop truck - Sold!
'91 ZR-1...For Fun! - The Return of Purple Haze!
'72 GMC G15 'Shorty' - Rolling Heavy.
www.kickson66.uk - For Official Gas Monkey Garage, DPG, OCC Merch & More.

phorbiuz

Regular

Fri 02 Feb 18 23:20

Thanks VetteWeekend.

It definitely doesn't have those bottom brackets for the rubbers, so I guess I need to go shopping for the brackets and the rubber insulators. Of those bottom support panel to body mounts you mention they're the 2 I'm struggling with at the moment. I'll be going back with my breaker bar next week.....

--------------------

kentvette

Club Member

Sat 03 Feb 18 09:27

Those are a few scary photos Simon!

The difference with the '78 support appears to be that it has more metal between the rad support brackets, making the base a solid panel effectively. I noticed that bottom rad brackets are sold separately for earlier Vettes, the detail including the phrase "welds to the support". But no brackets are listed for the '78. So, I'm guessing they are integral with a new rad support, which is alas, a rather pricey item.

--------------------
Stephen J Irons
CCCUK Lifetime Member
Corvette Club France
Corvettes of Southern California
NCM Family Member
Stephen & June's Web Site
Red Corvettes Have More Fun!

Apple IS Genisys!
The "Born-Again Greenies" are killing the planet! It's time to wake up and smell the rain-forest burning!

Daytona Vette

Club Member

Sat 03 Feb 18 11:08

My Rad Support Frame has a tray at the bottom - this collects water, when I wash the car I dry the tray out with a small towel - if I was fitting again I would make sure it had drain holes.

--------------------
Barry - Daytona Vette

phorbiuz

Regular

Sat 03 Feb 18 14:31

That's an interesting point peeps. The remains of the support panel coming out and the new Coffman Corvette panel to go in both have much bigger "tray" areas at the bottom than the photo's above from VetteWeekend show. It leads me to think there aren't supposed to be any lower brackets, but instead the rubber insulators sit on the shelf and in turn support the radiator. Looking again at the AIM diagram above from Kentvette (which is the same as mine) seems to suggest this.

--------------------

VetteWeekend

Webmaster

Sat 03 Feb 18 16:48

kentvette wrote (View Post):Those are a few scary photos Simon!

The difference with the '78 support appears to be that it has more metal between the rad support brackets, making the base a solid panel effectively. I noticed that bottom rad brackets are sold separately for earlier Vettes, the detail including the phrase "welds to the support". But no brackets are listed for the '78. So, I'm guessing they are integral with a new rad support, which is alas, a rather pricey item.

It didn't clean up to bad, a little bit of new metal and a coat of paint it looked brand new! Very Happy Also wondered if there was a change of design on the later models and I've now only seen the AIM attachment, sorry for any confusion.. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by VetteWeekend on Sat 03 Feb 18 16:53; edited 1 time in total. [8 %]
--------------------
CCCUK on Facebook

VetteWeekend
'75 Shark (on a shoestring) - Sold!
'58 Apache - The shop truck - Sold!
'91 ZR-1...For Fun! - The Return of Purple Haze!
'72 GMC G15 'Shorty' - Rolling Heavy.
www.kickson66.uk - For Official Gas Monkey Garage, DPG, OCC Merch & More.

phorbiuz

Regular

Wed 07 Feb 18 19:31

A little update and a more questions, sorry peeps...

So, the original rad support panel is out and it was a ball ache. The fan shroud didn't want to play game at all but with the fan removed, air con rad removed from the support panel, and the panel itself unbolted they eventually gave way. I can confirm too that on my '78 the rubber insulators simply plug into the larger bottom shelf to support the rad.

Moving onto the lazy vacuum system, the vacuum tank tested fine, but neither headlamp actuators held vacuum well so will need repair/replacement, and all the hoses are going hard so could do also do with replacement.

Interestingly, I think some bits are missing but I have no car to compare mine too. There is no 3 port vacuum check valve following the vacuum filter, just a T-piece with one part going to the inner wing and another part going inside the cabin. Also, the headlamp relay valves just let air in/out of the bottom below the 3 hoses.

So....

Let's start with the easy one. What should be on the bottom of the relay valve. A quick read up suggests some sort of filter? Not sure where I can source these TBH.

Dave.

--------------------

Reply to topic
View previous topicEmail to a FriendPrinter FriendlyPrivate MessengerView next topic

Go to page: 1, 2 / Next

Permissions