CCCUK logo

Lancaster Insurance

Website Control

Recent threads

New Forum Posts

» Another 'nail in the coffin' for UK based motorsport by chevrolet on Sat 18 Aug 18 22:00

» Carpets for 56 C1 by vet80y on Sat 18 Aug 18 19:22

» Heads/cam by roppa440 on Sat 18 Aug 18 16:15

» Spare wheel light by Nigelcurry on Sat 18 Aug 18 11:34

» 2003 Anniversary Red and Shale Convertible. by Number3 on Fri 17 Aug 18 19:30

» BBCN Regional meet by Nicetie on Thu 16 Aug 18 19:47

» Tyres by roscobbc on Thu 16 Aug 18 13:02

» Drag event... by roppa440 on Thu 16 Aug 18 09:20

» 1989 C4 For Sale by RobBrom on Wed 15 Aug 18 19:56

» C5 Headlamp Adjusters "Golden Rods" by roppa440 on Wed 15 Aug 18 16:31

» Shooting for 1000whp with my C7 @ Top Cats Racing by Sierra on Tue 14 Aug 18 14:19

» U-joint replacement by MIT on Mon 13 Aug 18 22:37

» C6 European Rear Light Conversion by Daytona Vette on Mon 13 Aug 18 16:42

» Full geo setup needed. by Daytona Vette on Mon 13 Aug 18 10:33

» C3 Side Exhaust Pipes by CaptainK on Mon 13 Aug 18 10:00

» Kit Kat wrappers don't make good insulation by CaptainK on Mon 13 Aug 18 09:52

» Head Unit Replacement by L88 on Sun 12 Aug 18 13:57

»  by Chris123 on Sun 12 Aug 18 12:24

» 1968 Door Handles by riddyboy on Sat 11 Aug 18 08:54

» Aircon fixed at last! by Daytona Vette on Fri 10 Aug 18 13:29

» Headlight Buckets by kentvette on Fri 10 Aug 18 09:40

» C3 Auto Box Issue Just Developed by Daytona Vette on Thu 09 Aug 18 22:52

» CCCUK West Sussex meeting tonight 9th August by Sea5 on Thu 09 Aug 18 18:27

» History of my vehicle VJD 5G by Bill Riches on Thu 09 Aug 18 16:58

» Borgeson steering box upgrade. by Skeets on Thu 09 Aug 18 13:19

» Cumbria classic (Dalemain House) car show. Sunday 19th August by 666Vette on Thu 09 Aug 18 12:26

» Concours of Elegance by curious bystander on Wed 08 Aug 18 16:47

» What did you do with your Vette today? by MIT on Wed 08 Aug 18 15:31

» South Central Regional Meeting for August by Daytona Vette on Wed 08 Aug 18 10:35

» Some Subtle Mods to my C7 Stingray by C7KEN on Tue 07 Aug 18 22:01

What do you carry?

Go to page: 1, 2 / Next

Reply to topic
View previous topicEmail to a FriendPrinter FriendlyView next topic

Author

Daytona Vette

Club Member

Thu 15 Feb 18 17:27

What do you carry?

So you are going on a 500 mile round trip in your Vette, other than the spare wheel brace and jack are there any parts or particular tools that you would take with you in case of need ? please let us know which class of Vette you have - I suspect the C7 boys will just say "a cool drink"

--------------------
Barry - Daytona Vette

Daytona Vette

Club Member

Thu 15 Feb 18 17:41

Re: What do you carry?

C3 - I have

Fire Extinguisher
Torch
Small Hydraulic Jack to make it easy work once Scissor Jack raised a few inches
Serpentine Belt c/w tools to fit
Spark Plug
Distributor Cap
Rotar Arm
Fuses
Rubber Gloves
Duck Tape
Drivers/ Spanners/ Pliers
Large Poly bag in case of puncture and wheel goes behind the seats

Other than the Fire Extinguisher they all fit in the cubby box behind the seats

Last edited by Daytona Vette on Thu 15 Feb 18 17:57; edited 3 times in total. [12 %]
--------------------
Barry - Daytona Vette

Redlevel

Club Member

Thu 15 Feb 18 17:46

I carry an air pump and puncture repair kit for a 1000 mile round trip to Bognor (or anywhere else and back).

No tools, wheel brace, jack etc as my '87 is never going to break down, the tyres being the only real vulnerability that I have no control over.

Daytona Vette

Club Member

Thu 15 Feb 18 17:53

stevel98 wrote (View Post):I carry an air pump and puncture repair kit for a 1000 mile round trip to Bognor (or anywhere else and back).

No tools, wheel brace, jack etc as my '87 is never going to break down, the tyres being the only real vulnerability that I have no control over.

So I have just given you my long list and you carry nothing because you are never going to break down - Can I just add that the parts that I carry are not for me but to help my fellow Vetterans.

--------------------
Barry - Daytona Vette

Redlevel

Club Member

Thu 15 Feb 18 18:21

Daytona Vette wrote (View Post):stevel98 wrote (View Post):I carry an air pump and puncture repair kit for a 1000 mile round trip to Bognor (or anywhere else and back).

So I have just given you my long list and you carry nothing because you are never going to break down - Can I just add that the parts that I carry are not for me but to help my fellow Vetterans.

Thumbs up

That's it jinxed already! Gimme your phone number, just in case!! Very Happy

I tend to try and fix or replace stuff before it breaks, that's what I've been doing with the car since I bought it, so I know its all going to keep working. Anything major and it'll be stretchered home or elsewhere. Planned Preventative Maintenance is we call it at work, to me its just tinkering. It has to be like that as I bought the car for touring and holidays and in 80k odd miles it hasn't let me down once. Cool

If I ever lose my keys or lock them inside, I can still get in and start the car via some simple stuff I did, but the one thing I haven't attended to yet is bypassing the vats system, maybe later. Scratchchin

Rich

Club Member

Thu 15 Feb 18 19:14

Barry, I know why you are asking. You probably can't cover every eventuality, so just take whatever gives you the greatest peace of mind. The benefit of travelling to Valkenburg together is that someone will be able to lend a hand in the event of a problem.

However, there are certain compulsory items you must have:-
Driving Licence
Original Registration Document
Insurance Documents
GB Sticker
Warning Triangle
Hi-Viz Waistcoat for each occupant. Must be inside the car and able to be put on before you get out of the car onto a carriageway
Breathalyser Kit - a bit of a grey area as to whether the French are enforcing this.
Headlamp Adjustment.

ABSOLUTELY NO Radar Detectors

Also, spare key.

Last edited by Rich on Thu 15 Feb 18 19:16; edited 1 time in total. [1 %]
--------------------
Rich Rogers
CCCUK Lifetime Member
2017 Yellow SS Camaro

kentvette

Club Member

Thu 15 Feb 18 20:00

In reality, you can't cater for everything. I carry certain spares and tools, but one of the few problems we've suffered was a failed diff! I don't' cary one of those, so it was a gentle run back home - 350 miles of it!

But, I always have stashed in the rear lockers (or underneath them):

duct tape
hose tape
insulating tape
fuses
spare bulbs
some wire
small can of WD40
cloths
small selection of spanners, plier etc

On longer/weeeknd trips I take some extra tools (a set of sockets) Plus, I recenlty put some spare belts in the spare wheel.

Rich says "a spare key" and that's close to the top on my list, to be carried by someone who always takes her handbag out of the car with her!

The most important things are a mobile phone and a membership card to a breakdown/recovery service!

You'll also need cleaning stuff, cloths, instant detail etc!Thumbs up

In a well maintained C3 500 miles is not much more than a day trip! Of copurse, our old '78 will probably expode after 10 miles thsi weekend now I've said that! Very Happy

--------------------
Stephen J Irons
CCCUK Lifetime Member
Corvette Club France
Corvettes of Southern California
NCM Family Member
Stephen & June's Web Site
Red Corvettes Have More Fun!

Apple IS Genisys!
The "Born-Again Greenies" are killing the planet! It's time to wake up and smell the rain-forest burning!

roscobbc

Committee Member

Fri 16 Feb 18 01:56

In addition to some of the above I carry a 2 1/2 litre container of coolant, containers of brake fluid and power steering fluid. A pair of cheap jump leads. A first aid kit. A telescopic wheel brace. 12v tyre compressor. A packet of Paracetamols. It all goes in the passenger side rear cubby-hole (except the First Aid kit and Paracetamols - centre cubby-hole) Socket-set, ring spanner set, screwdriver set and toolbox go behind seats.

--------------------
CCCUK Chairman
'68 coupe - 4 speed - 3.08 - 489 cu in - 570 bhp @ 5850 rpm - 606 ft/lbs torque (821 Newton Metres) @ 3850 rpm

fat_jogger

Club Member

Sat 17 Feb 18 22:22

Hi -

Mrs J & I did a 1000 mile trip around North Spain/South France/Pyrenees last September. ('76 C3).

We took as much as we could - fluids, tools, jump pack, leads, bespoke 'override loom' for the electric fans, couple of fuel cans, loads of stuff.

We decided to take a spare tyre, but not a spare wheel. The logic was that most places can fit a tyre on a 15" rim, but not many places will be stocking a BFG. Breakdown insurance would get us to a tyre place. Also took a front tyre, not a rear, as front would fit on back, but not the other way around, if you know what I mean.

Of course, the benefit of that was we could fill the spare wheel well with all of that stuff, stick a couple of rucksacks on the luggage rack and keep the boot space free to stick the T-Tops in.

As it turned out, we had an utterly awesome adventure (done a few Europe road trips), but despite all the planning we still ended up breaking down a couple of times and ultimately needing help - starter motor related issue.

If I knew what to do to post pics now that Photobucket isn't free, I'd post a couple to show just how much we squeezed into the tyre carrier...

Hope this helps? Happy travels!

Edit: with pictures (thanks Ross)

IMG_5463

IMG_5464

Regards,
FJ

Last edited by fat_jogger on Sat 17 Feb 18 23:21; edited 2 times in total. [10 %]
--------------------
18 Cylinders...
10.7 Litres...
12 Tyres...
2 People...
1 House...
Perfect.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention... ...and 2 cats... ...and no kids...

roscobbc

Committee Member

Sat 17 Feb 18 23:09

Try IMGBB

--------------------
CCCUK Chairman
'68 coupe - 4 speed - 3.08 - 489 cu in - 570 bhp @ 5850 rpm - 606 ft/lbs torque (821 Newton Metres) @ 3850 rpm

Reply to topic
View previous topicEmail to a FriendPrinter FriendlyPrivate MessengerView next topic

Go to page: 1, 2 / Next

Permissions