CCCUK logo

Ian Allan Motors

Website Control

Recent threads

New Forum Posts

» Another 'nail in the coffin' for UK based motorsport by curious bystander on Thu 16 Aug 18 22:44

» Heads/cam by roscobbc on Thu 16 Aug 18 22:05

» BBCN Regional meet by Nicetie on Thu 16 Aug 18 19:47

» Spare wheel light by C34ME on Thu 16 Aug 18 15:37

» Tyres by roscobbc on Thu 16 Aug 18 13:02

» Drag event... by roppa440 on Thu 16 Aug 18 09:20

» 1989 C4 For Sale by RobBrom on Wed 15 Aug 18 19:56

» C5 Headlamp Adjusters "Golden Rods" by roppa440 on Wed 15 Aug 18 16:31

» Shooting for 1000whp with my C7 @ Top Cats Racing by Sierra on Tue 14 Aug 18 14:19

» 2003 Anniversary Red and Shale Convertible. by Number3 on Tue 14 Aug 18 07:11

» U-joint replacement by MIT on Mon 13 Aug 18 22:37

» C6 European Rear Light Conversion by Daytona Vette on Mon 13 Aug 18 16:42

» Full geo setup needed. by Daytona Vette on Mon 13 Aug 18 10:33

» C3 Side Exhaust Pipes by CaptainK on Mon 13 Aug 18 10:00

» Kit Kat wrappers don't make good insulation by CaptainK on Mon 13 Aug 18 09:52

» Head Unit Replacement by L88 on Sun 12 Aug 18 13:57

»  by Chris123 on Sun 12 Aug 18 12:24

» 1968 Door Handles by riddyboy on Sat 11 Aug 18 08:54

» Aircon fixed at last! by Daytona Vette on Fri 10 Aug 18 13:29

» Headlight Buckets by kentvette on Fri 10 Aug 18 09:40

» C3 Auto Box Issue Just Developed by Daytona Vette on Thu 09 Aug 18 22:52

» CCCUK West Sussex meeting tonight 9th August by Sea5 on Thu 09 Aug 18 18:27

» History of my vehicle VJD 5G by Bill Riches on Thu 09 Aug 18 16:58

» Borgeson steering box upgrade. by Skeets on Thu 09 Aug 18 13:19

» Cumbria classic (Dalemain House) car show. Sunday 19th August by 666Vette on Thu 09 Aug 18 12:26

» Concours of Elegance by curious bystander on Wed 08 Aug 18 16:47

» What did you do with your Vette today? by MIT on Wed 08 Aug 18 15:31

» South Central Regional Meeting for August by Daytona Vette on Wed 08 Aug 18 10:35

» Some Subtle Mods to my C7 Stingray by C7KEN on Tue 07 Aug 18 22:01

» Boston Bowl - American Meet and Family Day - Saturday 11th August from 11:30am by cjc on Tue 07 Aug 18 15:02

c5 or c3???

Go to page: 1, 2 / Next

Reply to topic
View previous topicEmail to a FriendPrinter FriendlyView next topic

Author

vettemad paul

Club Member

Thu 15 Feb 18 06:45

c5 or c3???

looking to buy a vette in the near future
toying with a c3 or a c5
any opinions on difference in rides/comfort/practicality etc etc
any info please would help
cheers
paul

philv8

Club Member

Thu 15 Feb 18 09:27

Re: c5 or c3???

vettemad paul wrote (View Post):looking to buy a vette in the near future
toying with a c3 or a c5
any opinions on difference in rides/comfort/practicality etc etc
any info please would help
cheers
paul

Hi Paul,

That's a question I asked myself just over 4 years ago..... They are both great cars in their own right and these days can be similarly priced. In the end, it's more about (in my opinion) what you want/need the car to do. If it's cruising to the South of France then the C5 is the better choice, you'll get 30mpg and the benefits of ABS and Active Handling to keep you safe and a fair amount of luggage space. You could (and some do) use it as a daily driver.

By contrast the C3 is more 'fighter pilot', some say a more involved drive. My guess is that if you wanted to cross continents it wouldn't be anywhere near as comfortable and the petrol bill would be a lot higher. The other thing to consider is age, a C3 can easily be 40 years old whilst the oldest C5 is a mere 20 and as we all know the ravages of time can take their toll Laughing

They are both 'of their time' and given the choice and money I'd have both. In the end I opted for the C5 because it's more adaptable to my needs.

Phil

roppa440

Club Member

Thu 15 Feb 18 09:53

C3s are great fun for a run out but I personally couldn't live with one. I have only driven two. One was average maintained and a big rough around the edges. It was horrible to drive. The other was a well re-built show quality older version that was really nice to drive. But not as nice or comfortable to drive as my C5.

I think the C3 the corvette most people think of them. It's the shape many of us middle aged guys liked as teenagers and younger men.

But that female teacher you had fantasies about at the same time probably didn't stand the test of this much time either.

Last edited by roppa440 on Thu 15 Feb 18 10:27; edited 1 time in total. [1 %]

FIVE RED

Club Member

Thu 15 Feb 18 10:17

I owned a C3 for over four years and have owned a C5 for eleven years now. The C3 is the shape most associate with a Corvette and is great to work on. C3 parts are relatively cheap compared to euro cars and almost everything is available. Rust is your enemy and can be very expensive to sort out.
The C5 is more fun to drive but I struggle to find things to work on. The two models are very different so you need to decide if you like the iconic shape and are prepared to get your hands dirty or do you want the smooth lines and driving experience of the later model with all the toys.

--------------------
Graham.
C5 owner & very happy about it!

Redlevel

Club Member

Thu 15 Feb 18 10:25

Buy a minted 85-89 L98 C4..

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C798482

Well priced right now and you get the best of both worlds, no rust, good economy and reliability, lots to tinker with if that's your bag, and the L98 is an old skool motor like the C3's but much better and the C4 prices are quietly on the up..

CaptainK

Club Member

Thu 15 Feb 18 11:21

I own a C3, and have done for the last 2 and a bit years. I bought it purely for the look and for taking it to shows and occasional pootling around in it. That was my requirement and it fits the bill nicely.
As others have noted above, have a think about what you want the car to do. Do you want it to be nice to drive, fast and handle well straight out of the box? Then C5 is your answer. If you just intend to use it occasionally and like the classic look then the C3 is your answer. Also consider how much experience you have driving older cars - they are nothing like modern cars to drive.

From my experience, I love the old school nature of my C3 with no power brakes (it does have power steering though). Its very much more a challenge to drive it, let alone drive it at any pace. There is no way that I could live with it as a daily drive due to the very "engaging" nature of driving it. I do find it comfortable though and I can easily cruise in it on the motorway for miles. Mine is only the 327/300hp base model, but its quick enough for my simple needs (though admittedly its no ball of fire). The main part for me is that it looks the part and fits in well at classic shows etc - oh and it sounds FANTASTIC with it having side pipes too Smile

Last edited by CaptainK on Thu 15 Feb 18 11:22; edited 1 time in total. [5 %]

kentvette

Club Member

Thu 15 Feb 18 11:42

We've owned our '78 for 28 years now, but I've also been fortunate enough to have driven thousands of miles in C4 C5 and C6 Corvettes.

The reality is that there is no comparison between the C3 and the later cars! As said, its a question of what you want from the car. I love the '78 for its looks and the events that it gives us access to (over here in France there are many events that are aimed at, or restricted to cars over 30 years old. I also get a bit of a "kick" out of taking it some of the Corvette Club France's longer distance events, just to prove it can be done! And it's certainly true that a C3 is easier to maintain and repair by a "non-mechanic" like myself! I suspect a few too many electrical "smarts" required to do too much on the C5 and alter cars. But I can probably sum up the owning experience by saying that owning the C3 is not so much about what it does as how it looks doing it!

That said, my wife would swap for a C6 in a heartbeat! And I confess to looking for a suitable candidate now and then, but I'm specific about what I want and more importantly can afford! I prefer to C6 to the 5 looks wise and actually from a driving standpoint. Ownership would be a different experience, less of the "vintage" events, more touring across Europe I suspect. And, a C5 or ^ is certainly more of a "daily driver" so is perhaps slightly more practical? In our case it would possibly become the more often used car, and our "metal" car would probably be changed for a van for the "tough" stuff!

You just need to think hard what you want to do and enjoy with the car, how much time you have to maintain it, if you want to cross continents, do shows, or just look at it in the garage.

Then, get to a few local CCCUK meetings and try and get some rides in different generations. I'm guessing that help a lot to make the decision.

--------------------
Stephen J Irons
CCCUK Lifetime Member
Corvette Club France
Corvettes of Southern California
NCM Family Member
Stephen & June's Web Site
Red Corvettes Have More Fun!

Apple IS Genisys!
The "Born-Again Greenies" are killing the planet! It's time to wake up and smell the rain-forest burning!

L88

Club Member

Thu 15 Feb 18 14:37

First Corvette? Then surprisingly I would recommend the C5. It's got the looks, reliability and won't depreciate. You can drive it anywhere.

C3? Get the very best you can afford, ideally a car you know. When you own a C3 you get intoxicated with its outrageous curves. Park it up and on your return you can't believe it's your car. Unless you're lucky the car will always need something doing to it but that's half the fun or all the fun in my case. Make sure you are in a position to spend money on it, so many C3's are run on a fiver and if you come to buy one of those cars it will be a money pit...

Hats off to SteveL98 for being the C4 salesman but my advice is C5 , get addicted, keep an eye out for a mint C3 then you will have both.

Last edited by L88 on Thu 15 Feb 18 14:42; edited 1 time in total. [1 %]

roppa440

Club Member

Thu 15 Feb 18 15:20

If you decide on a C5 and can afford it get a 2001 - up version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-h1l3J_HBE

Last edited by roppa440 on Thu 15 Feb 18 15:39; edited 2 times in total. [45 %]

vettemad paul

Club Member

Thu 15 Feb 18 19:44

thank you kindly for all your advise
tbh ive owned over the years 2 c4s/1 c3 and a c6 but been vetteless for a while now so hoping to get back into the vette scene again.
with the c5s ive heard they suffer from certain problems which are costly to fix ix this the earlier models --what year did this get rectified???
Must admit a c5 would suit my needs more but theres only certain colours in my mind that suit it.
And it would have to be a targa top for me or if a really nice convertible came along id might consider it.
rather fancy the hud display
cheers
paul

Reply to topic
View previous topicEmail to a FriendPrinter FriendlyPrivate MessengerView next topic

Go to page: 1, 2 / Next

Permissions