» How it's made - Corvette Stingray by FIVE RED on Fri 23 Feb 18 11:29

» Does anyone recognise this Vert by MIKERED on Fri 23 Feb 18 10:09

» The Scottish Car Show 15th July 2018 by roppa440 on Fri 23 Feb 18 09:55

» Engine bay by Nigelcurry on Fri 23 Feb 18 09:16

» OBD connector ? 1 or 2 by stevel98 on Fri 23 Feb 18 09:08

» Tewkesbury Classic Vehicle Festival by Rich on Thu 22 Feb 18 18:46

» 1960 C1 steering box by paj66 on Thu 22 Feb 18 17:50

» London 'T' charge by roscobbc on Thu 22 Feb 18 17:35

» RockAuto.com Discount Code for Parts & More - Expires April 4, 2018 by Rich on Thu 22 Feb 18 16:00

» "Breakfast Club" Meeting - March by Bowler on Thu 22 Feb 18 14:18

» What did you do with your Vette today? by stevel98 on Thu 22 Feb 18 13:35

» C7 remote start by Number3 on Wed 21 Feb 18 19:55

» London Classic Car Show - 15th-18th February 2018 by Fishy Dave on Wed 21 Feb 18 15:00

» Letter of conformity by Barrelmaker on Tue 20 Feb 18 21:04

» The Mods continue on my C7 by C7KEN on Tue 20 Feb 18 18:42

» New road tax regs.. by CaptainK on Tue 20 Feb 18 08:55

» What do you carry? by CaptainK on Tue 20 Feb 18 08:47

» BBCN Region February meet at Meguires by Nicetie on Mon 19 Feb 18 20:28

» London Classic Car Show by JJVETTE on Mon 19 Feb 18 17:55

Removing center clocks console on 1979

Reply to topic
View previous topicEmail to a FriendPrinter FriendlyView next topic

Author

Nigelcurry

New Comer

Wed 07 Feb 18 14:52

Removing center clocks console on 1979

Hi all
I am new to this forum and I have recently bought my C3 Coupe,and I was wondering if anyone out there has any info /advice on removing the said console as I want to try and replace the modern radio for the original item that came with the car.It may not sound as good but to my eye it will look better.The car is a 1979 coupe
Many thanks nige

kentvette

Club Member

Thu 08 Feb 18 17:06

Re: Removing center clocks console on 1979

Nigel, Unless the console has been "butchered" to fit the new radio, you can perform the swap without removing the console. You can access the rear by removing the two carpet panel pieces on either side of the central tunnel. They are held in by screws, one at the front and one concealed by the seats. Once out, you can see around behind the console quite easily. The radio was originally held in by the knobs and a "brace" at the rear. I was able to release the knobs and carefully push teh radio out backwards, bringing it out from the passenger side, which is more open.

This what a '78 (almost identical to a '79) looks like from the left hand side, with the location of the screws circled.

This is during "work in progress", so ignore some of the connectors and duct tape!

You may find that the wiring has been butchered too. If you need details of the original wiring PM me.

Should you need to remove the console, you'll have to remove the section that includes the gears shift, starting with the arm rest. You can see the fixing at the sides in the photo. Then you'll need to release the gauge cluster. I've never gone that far, so can't tell you how tricky that is - or otherwise!

--------------------
Stephen J Irons
CCCUK Lifetime Member
Corvette Club France
Corvettes of Southern California
NCM Family Member
Stephen & June's Web Site
Red Corvettes Have More Fun!

Apple IS Genisys!
The "Born-Again Greenies" are killing the planet! It's time to wake up and smell the rain-forest burning!

corvetteville

Club Member

Thu 08 Feb 18 17:27

Hi Nigel, quite a fiddly job. I managed to do it so not impossible! I guess you've looked online/ youtube etc.Its to long to fully describe here but a couple of things that I found out:
Make sure the battery is disconected as the instruments and the ciggy lighter are live all the time.
Remove the side carpeted panels, one of the screws is at the side of the seat so use a thick cloth & a piece of board to press down on the seat to get to it.
On the flat part where the gear shift is, take out the screw going into the trans tunnel, put the shift in the centre and move the console back a little. watch out for the selector indicator(auto) as there is a pin on the stick which operates it.
On the upper part there are screws going vertically and horizontaly into the dash pad.
Be VERY careful with the HVAC control as it is small vacuum pipes and a cable, not an electrical plug on. I was able to unscrew panel from underneath and separate it from the console and leave in situ.
I did this same swop to fit an original radio, which packed up after a few months.I have now purchased a USA1 looks retro but got all mods USB etc. Just got to fit it now!!
hope that helps but please look online/ manual etc. Steve

Nigelcurry

New Comer

Thu 08 Feb 18 17:55

Great info and quick reply,very helpful
Thanks lads

robashard

Club Member

Fri 09 Feb 18 19:32

Do you know for a fact that the old radio works?
Might be worth lashing up to test it.

Nigelcurry

New Comer

Sat 10 Feb 18 09:17

Yep
You’re dead right on that one,think i will get it checked out first,especially when I read corvtteville,cheers guys
Nige

kentvette

Club Member

Tue 13 Feb 18 15:21

Probably too late now, but today I came across the instructions on centre console removal that I had received a few years ago from a friend - couldn't locate them before now!

So, he said:-

To remove the centre gauge panel it is best to first remove the console top plate.

The sequence is as follows:
Remove seats (optional, but makes it a lot easier to work on)
Remove 3 screws on each side of carpeted console side panels
Remove 2 screws that attach console plate to e-brake cover (screws go from bottom up)
Remove 2 screw that attach centre console plate to centre gauge panel (screws go from bottom up near radio)
You should now be able to raise the rear of the console plate and slide it back a couple of inches
Remove 2 phillips screws from side of centre gauge panel
Remove 2 phillips screws from top of centre gauge panel
Remove radio knobs and remove nuts from radio
You should now be able to remove the centre gauge panel. Be very careful as there is a light at the top of the centre gauge panel and can catch the dash board and crack it if you are not careful.
After you have pulled the centre gauge panel out a couple of inches you can reach behind it and unplug the wiring before completely removing the panel.

It sounds a lot more complicated than it is. Doing it for the first time you should be able to handle it in about a 1/2 hour.

You may well have "been there, done it" by now, but if not, this may be handy!

--------------------
Stephen J Irons
CCCUK Lifetime Member
Corvette Club France
Corvettes of Southern California
NCM Family Member
Stephen & June's Web Site
Red Corvettes Have More Fun!

Apple IS Genisys!
The "Born-Again Greenies" are killing the planet! It's time to wake up and smell the rain-forest burning!

Reply to topic
View previous topicEmail to a FriendPrinter FriendlyPrivate MessengerView next topic

Permissions