» wet carpets by BlackZeD on Mon 17 Dec 18 17:11

» C3 wheel trims for sale by Jack Cooper on Mon 17 Dec 18 13:56

» Fuel - Esso Synergy Supreme+ 97 by roscobbc on Mon 17 Dec 18 10:37

» Bloodhound SSC by GCVETTE on Mon 17 Dec 18 10:00

» Facebook page by Redlevel on Mon 17 Dec 18 09:01

» Username Changes by GCVETTE on Sun 16 Dec 18 18:48

» Help with newly acquired 72 350 Auto by kentvette on Sun 16 Dec 18 14:18

» Tesla Pick Up by Redlevel on Sun 16 Dec 18 13:05

» AMERICAN SPEEDFEST 7 on 1st - 2nd JUNE 2019 by Blackadder on Sat 15 Dec 18 22:33

» Fuse replacements by Daytona Vette on Sat 15 Dec 18 13:29

» Another day, another Mid-Engine Corvette thread by Norm on Fri 14 Dec 18 23:31

» Once A Vette Head - Always A Vette Head! by Jimbo64 on Fri 14 Dec 18 20:40

» Insurance recommenations by BlackZeD on Fri 14 Dec 18 20:31

» 2007 C6 Z51 BX08 ECV - Any Former Owners Here? by GCVETTE on Fri 14 Dec 18 16:44

» South Central Midlands Supper Club Meet by Daytona Vette on Fri 14 Dec 18 11:58

» 2002 C5 Coupe by roppa440 on Fri 14 Dec 18 10:29

» CCCUK West Sussex Xmas meeting tonight 13th December by Sea5 on Thu 13 Dec 18 17:14

» Outer Door Handles by kentvette on Thu 13 Dec 18 11:13

» How Many Miles Does Your Corvette Get Driven? by Skoosh1970 on Thu 13 Dec 18 11:08

» Website Copy and Paste by Rich on Wed 12 Dec 18 07:51

» Trimmer/upholsterer by Forrest Gump on Tue 11 Dec 18 20:06

» Spotted C2 by Jan25 on Mon 10 Dec 18 09:01

» O.m.g. by Redlevel on Sun 09 Dec 18 17:35

» C5 Harmonic balancer wobbling! by therabster on Sat 08 Dec 18 22:02

» My C8 Grump by Vetteheadtony on Sat 08 Dec 18 13:05

» C7 Z06 by MShaky on Fri 07 Dec 18 15:17

» Replacement head unit for US spec C6 by Young Bill on Fri 07 Dec 18 10:10

» Kelsey Hayes Aluminum Wheels by Daytona Vette on Thu 06 Dec 18 01:05

» Thames Vally Region trip to Studio 434 by Nicetie on Wed 05 Dec 18 22:33

Weather predicting

Go to page: 1, 2, 3 / Next

Reply to topic
View previous topicEmail to a FriendPrinter FriendlyView next topic

Author

Redlevel

Club Member

Tue 17 Apr 18 09:02

Weather predicting

I see that Drive-It Day is to be p*ss*ng down in SW Scotland, yet the Saturday before is to be hot and sunny.

As a regular attendee of airshows in the past, I used to use this website for weather checks as there's nothing worse than an airshow with low cloud. Now I use it for predicting weather for UK camping holidays (not in the north of Scotland though, as that's a no go area after June due to the midges anyway and the NC500 is badly potholed I'm told). Never let me down once. Even the long range forecasts are pretty good.

https://www.theweatheroutlook.com/forecast/uk/ka19

Rich

Club Member

Tue 17 Apr 18 09:23

Re: Weather predicting

stevel98 wrote (View Post):not in the north of Scotland though, as that's a no go area after June due to the midges anyway and the NC500 is badly potholed I'm told).

I suppose the good news is that a few of us are driving the NC500 during the week of 7th May which should be midge free? Not too enamoured by a week of potholes though.

Last edited by Rich on Tue 17 Apr 18 09:24; edited 1 time in total. [8 %]
--------------------
Rich Rogers
CCCUK Lifetime Member
2017 Yellow SS Camaro

Redlevel

Club Member

Tue 17 Apr 18 10:03

Hi Rich..

The midge doesn't really appear til after June and less so toward the coast, so you should be fine but I've heard that the potholes are becoming a problem (Scottish govt is skint, so no money to repair them), but its the best time to go weatherwise so I hope you have a great time.

NC500 Pothole chat..

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=118&t=15...

p.s. If your driving up the M6, be wary of random speed camera vans on the overhead bridges in Cumbria, and up the M74.

Last edited by Redlevel on Tue 17 Apr 18 10:05; edited 1 time in total. [14 %]

Rich

Club Member

Tue 17 Apr 18 12:35

Thanks for the speeding tip. I'll try to be on my best behaviour.

Perhaps I should programme my passenger accordingly. She's always asking me to slow down anyway.

--------------------
Rich Rogers
CCCUK Lifetime Member
2017 Yellow SS Camaro

Redlevel

Club Member

Tue 17 Apr 18 14:16

The A90/M90 and A9 has loads of cameras, but unlike Cumbria's sneaky bridge tactics, they are more obvious. Smile

Rich

Club Member

Tue 17 Apr 18 14:59

We need to be a little cautious here, Steve, as we may be straying off topic. Last time I supposedly did that (I didn't by the way) some over zealous moderator deleted my post - the first time since the website started.

However, as you started the topic we may get away with it.

I think I'll stick to 70mph thanks to your advice.

Now back to the weather....................................

--------------------
Rich Rogers
CCCUK Lifetime Member
2017 Yellow SS Camaro

Redlevel

Club Member

Tue 17 Apr 18 15:53

Yes the weather, ..it be generally crap in the UK these days..

When I were a lad, ('60's) it was hot from May to October. We were bought new kahki shorts and sloppy joe shirts for school in May and we wore them all through the summer.

We were on the beach at Troon at least three times a week, Mother making lovely lunches for us, car parked on the sand among the WW2 barbed wire supports, or we would be down near Portpatrick (popular Drive It Day destination these days) for a weekend in a caravan. Hot days.

I started to use that website for weather predicting after a July 2000 trip to The Mildenhall Air Fete where it was so cold and wet, I couldn't do up my flies after a pee and had to get help via the Red Cross who grabbed the zipper with a pair of surgical clamps!! Very Happy

Great airshow though, with stealth (F-117/B2) aircraft, and all kinds. Run purely by the US Military, more access to the aircraft (apart from the stealths as they were guarded) and less rigid and stuffy than normal UK airshows.

CaptainK

Club Member

Tue 24 Apr 18 13:16

Ahhhh.... weather predicting. I actually have the ability to change the weather. You see, before work every day I look out at the weather. If it looks "gorgeous", "really nice" or even just "dry and alright" then I'll drive my 1984 Ford Orion I've been getting back on the road. This is 100% guaranteed to change the weather to sudden downpour of rain and grey and miserable all day. I kid you not, every time I've driven it since putting it back on the road it has rained, even when the day looks gorgeous and not a cloud in the sky.

Then take yesterday, when the weather looked grey and miserable in the morning. So I thought "No chance I'll take the Orion as it'll deffo get wet again". WRONG. I drove my daily diesel and as soon as I was 10 or so minutes into my commute to work (about 40 odd minutes) the sun came out and it was lovely.

So any day you want it NOT to rain the South West, ring me up beforehand and I'll NOT drive the Orion. Or if you're feeling lazy and don't want to water the garden, again let me know and I'll drive the Orion Smile

Daytona Vette

Club Member

Tue 24 Apr 18 15:02

stevel98 wrote (View Post):Yes the weather, ..it be generally crap in the UK these days..

I started to use that website for weather predicting after a July 2000 trip to The Mildenhall Air Fete where it was so cold and wet, I couldn't do up my flies after a pee and had to get help via the Red Cross who grabbed the zipper with a pair of surgical clamps!! Very Happy

Red Cross??? Did something get caught then?

--------------------
Barry - Daytona Vette

Redlevel

Club Member

Tue 24 Apr 18 15:32

Daytona Vette wrote (View Post):stevel98 wrote (View Post):Yes the weather, ..it be generally crap in the UK these days..

Red Cross??? Did something get caught then?

Well I wasn't about to go into a hangar and ask a techy type for his/her pliers.. Things were so cold that day, there was no danger of anything getting caught! Laughing

Reply to topic
View previous topicEmail to a FriendPrinter FriendlyPrivate MessengerView next topic

Go to page: 1, 2, 3 / Next

Permissions