CCCUK logo

Adrian Flux

Website Control

Recent threads

New Forum Posts

» Black '68 by Jan25 on Mon 16 Jul 18 10:23

» What did you do with your Vette today? by roppa440 on Mon 16 Jul 18 09:39

» Shooting for 1000whp with my C7 @ Top Cats Racing by jimc7 on Sun 15 Jul 18 20:29

» Garage services required for a C3 in the NW by Daytona Vette on Sun 15 Jul 18 20:06

» NEC Classic Car Show - Birmingham by 86vetteman on Sat 14 Jul 18 22:39

» C4 coupe wanted by Redridge Corvette on Sat 14 Jul 18 21:54

» Corvette-Fame 13-14-15 July 2018 by Rich on Sat 14 Jul 18 18:11

»  by Nosheruk on Sat 14 Jul 18 17:44

» How to post a photo in the forums by Nosheruk on Sat 14 Jul 18 17:38

» Looking for a C6 Z06 by BlackZeD on Sat 14 Jul 18 15:47

» New member, new c3 on order! by Forrest Gump on Sat 14 Jul 18 12:06

» C5 seat refurbishment by roscobbc on Sat 14 Jul 18 09:29

» Spare wheel kit 74 by MIT on Fri 13 Jul 18 19:09

» Classic + Vintage Vehicle Festival - Peterborough by curious bystander on Fri 13 Jul 18 17:35

» R/H door lock mech and clip by MIT on Fri 13 Jul 18 16:53

» What modern spark plugs for 1973 454? by roscobbc on Fri 13 Jul 18 00:43

» Insurance by MIT on Thu 12 Jul 18 21:44

» Buying a C6 Convertible.... Or more likely a Targa Top by chevrolet on Thu 12 Jul 18 21:28

» Modified C5 for Sale by Sinatra21 on Thu 12 Jul 18 11:49

» Electronic ign or new bushes by Nigelcurry on Thu 12 Jul 18 08:01

» Rockauto by weslp00 on Wed 11 Jul 18 23:30

» Kop Hill Climb Festival by roscobbc on Wed 11 Jul 18 21:38

» CCCUK Corvette Nationals pictures 2018 by JonnyC4 on Wed 11 Jul 18 18:42

» Ian Goss? by BlackZeD on Wed 11 Jul 18 08:43

» CCCUK West Sussex July meeting by Sea5 on Wed 11 Jul 18 08:26

» Exhaust too loud. by MIT on Wed 11 Jul 18 03:35

» 1960 C1 steering box by paj66 on Tue 10 Jul 18 16:03

» South Central Regional Meeting for July by Bowler on Tue 10 Jul 18 14:48

» C6 Grand Sport Convertible by chevrolet on Tue 10 Jul 18 14:09

» Prescott American Classic Weekend by curious bystander on Tue 10 Jul 18 11:26

Trade War US Imports

Go to page: 1, 2, 3 / Next

Reply to topic
View previous topicEmail to a FriendPrinter FriendlyView next topic

Author

Daytona Vette

Club Member

Fri 22 Jun 18 11:00

Trade War US Imports

The European Union has imposed changes to tariffs on US goods from today in retaliation and as a further attack on President Donald Trump's trade policy.

Go Donald Go - he is adopting the right Policy for the US, against the cycle of cheap imports - failed manufacturing-unemployment leading to a failed economy.

Having said that; the Important item for us with Vettes is how will this affect us.

From the list that I have viewed, I can see the Tariffs are mainly raised on steel in various shapes and forms used in manufacturing and building industries, food products such as maize, sweetcorn, cranberries, motor cycles and boats.

So looks like cars are not touched.

Post here if you learn different also relating to auto parts.

--------------------
Barry - Daytona Vette

veeeight

Club Member

Fri 22 Jun 18 11:19

Re: Trade War US Imports

It could happen in the USA Maybe here?????

Tariff tremor: President’s plans sending shocks through collector car world

An American collector paid more than $1.66 million to buy this 1964 Porsche 904 GTS at an auction earlier this year in Paris. Is the proposed tariffs take effect, the price of that car would increase by more than $415,000 | Artcurial Motorcars photo by Remi Dargegen

Imported classics and parts face 25 percent tariff under proposed regulations
Sandra Button wants to rally the troops.
“I cannot imagine what might happen if imported collector cars and car parts are designated as national security risks and taxed at 25 percent,” the chairman of the Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance wrote late last week in an email she distributed to dozens of leaders of the collector car community.
“I cannot imagine how we will be able to maintain and share even the collector cars we already have in the United States — whether first made here or abroad. How will we be able to continue to use them?”
Button called for collector car enthusiasts to join her in contacting the U.S. Department of Commerce, which has a public comment period only until June 22, and also vowed to testify on the matter in Washington, D.C.
The proposal “could potentially greatly harm the cars we love and our ability to share and celebrate them.”

--------------------
Just love the burble of a V8
My Corvette is - C2 Vert 327/300 Nassau Blue 1966

chevrolet

Club Member

Fri 22 Jun 18 16:28

Removed

Last edited by chevrolet on Wed 27 Jun 18 18:09; edited 4 times in total. [94 %]
--------------------
AKA "Silver C6" on Pistonheads

chevrolet

Club Member

Fri 22 Jun 18 16:45

Removed

Last edited by chevrolet on Wed 27 Jun 18 18:10; edited 1 time in total. [73 %]
--------------------

Daytona Vette

Club Member

Fri 22 Jun 18 17:05

Most of the Politics in this Country has gone the wrong way, in making the wrong decision for the right reason - it is about votes and not offending some of the electorate, it is called PC - hence the mess we are in and the taxation we are at.

Donald is not PC, he is not frightened to offend, he leads with his head and beliefs, that is how it should be to get the best result long term - I may disagree with some points but he has my vote, I too had a charisma bypass at birth.

The time will come when we have negative interest in our Banks, the government will need our money out of the Banks and out there in the economy buying product and services producing more tax revenue, than if it were in the bank, because of their bad management and their consequent need to cover ever larger holes.

In short run it like a business not a bunch of untrained politicians that are self serving

I go with Donald levy the Imports

- Weatherspoons now on the ball taking out all the beers from their pubs that are not British brewed - plough it here - not there

Buy British not Imports

UNLESS OF COURSE IT IS A CORVETTE

Sorry for the rant.

Last edited by Daytona Vette on Fri 22 Jun 18 17:08; edited 1 time in total. [3 %]
--------------------
Barry - Daytona Vette

chevrolet

Club Member

Fri 22 Jun 18 17:12

Removed

Last edited by chevrolet on Wed 27 Jun 18 18:11; edited 3 times in total. [94 %]
--------------------

Daytona Vette

Club Member

Sat 23 Jun 18 11:55

veeeight wrote (View Post):It could happen in the USA Maybe here?????

Tariff tremor: President’s plans sending shocks through collector car world

An American collector paid more than $1.66 million to buy this 1964 Porsche 904 GTS at an auction earlier this year in Paris. Is the proposed tariffs take effect, the price of that car would increase by more than $415,000 | Artcurial Motorcars photo by Remi Dargegen

Imported classics and parts face 25 percent tariff under proposed regulations
Sandra Button wants to rally the troops.
“I cannot imagine what might happen if imported collector cars and car parts are designated as national security risks and taxed at 25 percent,” the chairman of the Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance wrote late last week in an email she distributed to dozens of leaders of the collector car community.
“I cannot imagine how we will be able to maintain and share even the collector cars we already have in the United States — whether first made here or abroad. How will we be able to continue to use them?”
Button called for collector car enthusiasts to join her in contacting the U.S. Department of Commerce, which has a public comment period only until June 22, and also vowed to testify on the matter in Washington, D.C.
The proposal “could potentially greatly harm the cars we love and our ability to share and celebrate them.”

So a possible 25% Trump hike on all imported cars and parts, the USA is the largest Classic car market in the world, with many collectors having very large collections and seemingly bottomless pockets.

Due to the investment potential of classic cars, against money in the Bank, we witness ourselves, many of the cars we dream of are now beyond reach - so it is a market for the rich taking it away from the likes of me.

On that basis do we think that the prices are going to freefall and make the market prices more enjoyable for the likes of us, or that prices will hold and the hike will make the super collectors a bonus - let us think about it - the super collectors have already taken the cars out of most of our hands.

What do you think - if Trump hikes 25% which way will it go?

Last edited by Daytona Vette on Sat 23 Jun 18 11:56; edited 1 time in total. [1 %]
--------------------
Barry - Daytona Vette

STELTHYFLATFISH

Regional Rep

Sat 23 Jun 18 12:05

So to sum up. ( for us corvette guys )
am I right in thinking that there will now be a 25% increase in import charges on spare parts from the states to take effect immediately ?
Or have I got that wrong ?

--------------------
Stealthyflatfish
My corvette will pass anything on the road, except a gas station.

Daytona Vette

Club Member

Sat 23 Jun 18 13:59

No, the possible 25% hike on cars is in the USA.

The European Union has imposed changes to tariffs on USA imported goods from yesterday on Steel and Motor Bikes and Power Boats and food stuffs, but I have not seen a mention of cars.

However, if the UK / EU levy a higher import duty on USA cars and parts - they will cost us more to import.

But if we already have USA cars here they will be worth more (likewise any parts in stock)

--------------------
Barry - Daytona Vette

curious bystander

Committee Member

Sat 23 Jun 18 14:36

With regard to parts it's a bit of a joke when you think about it.

Order from America and more often than not you get parts made in China or Taiwan.

Pity they don't ship direct to the UK when that's the case

--------------------
79 L82 Auto

Having a lot of bhp is all very well, but on these forums it's torque that counts

Events Co-ordinator

Reply to topic
View previous topicEmail to a FriendPrinter FriendlyPrivate MessengerView next topic

Go to page: 1, 2, 3 / Next

Permissions