Ian Allan Motors

Website Control

Recent threads

New Forum Posts

» Drag Race your Corvette by roscobbc on Sun 19 Nov 17 00:41

» Parkers Guide C6 Prices by Vetteheadtony on Sat 18 Nov 17 21:16

» Very inactive here by vipergts on Sat 18 Nov 17 21:15

» Classic American mag by Vetteheadtony on Sat 18 Nov 17 20:49

» Diablew Intune I2 software tuner GM Vehicles 1999 to 2008 by dex99 on Sat 18 Nov 17 15:21

» For Sale Custom LS6 intake by dex99 on Sat 18 Nov 17 15:20

» New Teslas.. by roscobbc on Sat 18 Nov 17 12:18

» Problem using Website by z06_tim on Sat 18 Nov 17 10:04

» Gas Tank by stevel98 on Fri 17 Nov 17 19:22

» trying to find MIJ3700 red manual 77 by chevrolet on Fri 17 Nov 17 11:48

» Great Western Classic Car Show by curious bystander on Fri 17 Nov 17 10:57

» New Years Day at Claremont Corvette by kentvette on Fri 17 Nov 17 10:52

» Manual window regulator for 1969 C3 by Daytona Vette on Thu 16 Nov 17 23:49

» Performance Car Show - NEC by curious bystander on Thu 16 Nov 17 20:10

» Brooklands Museum - Weybridge by curious bystander on Thu 16 Nov 17 19:49

» Lowering my c4 by stuart2379 on Thu 16 Nov 17 19:06

» ZR1 Dubai Debut by kentvette on Thu 16 Nov 17 16:04

» C5 Stormforce Outdoor Cover For Sale by MShaky on Thu 16 Nov 17 15:37

» C4 Headlight conversions.. by gary 53 on Thu 16 Nov 17 09:29

» Corvette C5 clutch noise. by shorty on Wed 15 Nov 17 21:03

» C5 by 5 USA on Wed 15 Nov 17 20:58

» North Wales & Cheshire Vette Owner - 2018 Meets by Adam.slater@hotmail.co.uk on Wed 15 Nov 17 18:16

» Alternators and Starters by Daytona Vette on Wed 15 Nov 17 16:58

» Laying the Car up for Winter? Not This Guy! by z06_tim on Tue 14 Nov 17 20:05

» Proposed BBCN Region Christmas meet 2nd December by oldtimer on Tue 14 Nov 17 10:48

» What does this wire do / connect to? by CaptainK on Tue 14 Nov 17 09:20

» For Sale - C5 Z06 Wheels & Tyres by MShaky on Tue 14 Nov 17 09:20

» Removing the in Dashboard 90 c4 corvette by gary 53 on Tue 14 Nov 17 08:02

» NEC show this weekend by roscobbc on Mon 13 Nov 17 23:05

» Injectors / Fuel Filter Changed by stevel98 on Mon 13 Nov 17 13:43

How to post a photo in the forums

Go to page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 / Next

Reply to topic
View previous topicEmail to a FriendPrinter FriendlyView next topic

Author

Ben

Webmaster

Wed 20 Jan 10 15:11

How to post a photo in the forums

Lots of people ask how they can display photos in their posts but we don't have a really handy guide available. So I thought I'd write one. Very Happy

First, some basics. You've got a photo on your computer and you want to show it in the forums. Because it's on your computer at the moment, nobody else can see it.

You need to put it somewhere on the Internet. Once it's on the Internet it will have a unique address (technically the address is called a URL) that begins with http://
The URL of the logo at the top of this page is http://www.corvetteclub.org.uk/templates/albon/images/head_l... (You can click that link to see the logo in your browser and you'll see the URL in your browser's address bar.)

You can show the photo to other people by giving them the URL once the photo is on the Internet.

So how do you get the photo on the Internet?
When an image is available to other people on the Internet it is hosted. You upload your photo to a website that offers image hosting and that website will give you the photo's URL.

Example photo hosting websites
www.photobucket.com
www.tinypic.com
www.flickr.com
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=photo+hosting Wink

Each of those works differently so try them all until you find the one that's easiest to use (Tinypic is good), but ultimately all you need is the URL of the image you've uploaded.

To display your photo in this forum (or any other forum) you put the URL between special tags like this: Image (instead of the dots)
Those tags tell this website that you're providing the address of an image on the Internet and when people view your post the website will translate what you've typed into the photo.

To display the CCCUK logo I paste the above URL in here with a Image tag after it (with no spaces) and I get this:

It's easiest to copy the URL from your photo hosting website and paste it into your post, and in fact most photo hosting sites will even give you the URL already wrapped with the Image tags to make it even easier to do.

Use this thread to practice as much as you want and ask any questions if you get stuck. Thumbs up

Last edited by Ben on Sun 26 Sep 10 07:33; edited 2 times in total. [9 %]
--------------------
Blue-with-white-stripes 1976 manual L82 since 1995
"A stiff upper lip is always well dressed when accompanied by mountains of torque and an indomitable will." -unsprung

johnny99

Awww... join the CCCUK!

Wed 20 Jan 10 16:15

Re: How to post a photo in the forums

Do you use the same method to put an avatar up ? (pic above users name for the Luddites out there!) Thanks for the tutorial Ben, will endeavour to post pics up during the show season -especially of me! Laughing

--------------------
Johnny99

Ben

Webmaster

Wed 20 Jan 10 17:53

It's a different method for avatars. They're uploaded directly to this website so you don't use the [img]....[/img] tags. Instead you need to resize your image to no bigger than 100x100 pixels and click the 'Edit your profile' link in the menu.

--------------------
"A stiff upper lip is always well dressed when accompanied by mountains of torque and an indomitable will." -unsprung

johnny99

Awww... join the CCCUK!

Wed 20 Jan 10 21:01

Resize my image? I thought the computer age was supposed to make our lives easier! Time to sit in the corner with my white pointy hat with the giant 'D' on it! Doh

--------------------
Johnny99

Ben

Webmaster

Wed 20 Jan 10 22:14

Google is your friend, Johnny: http://www.shrinkpictures.com/create-avatar/ Smile

Or, if that doesn't work: http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=online+image+resize+avatar

--------------------

Rich

Club Member

Thu 21 Jan 10 08:54

Re: How to post a photo in the forums Message Icon

johnny99 wrote (View Post):Resize my image? I thought the computer age was supposed to make our lives easier! Time to sit in the corner with my white pointy hat with the giant 'D' on it! Doh

Even with the computerisation of our lives, some things don't change.

For example size still does matter!!!! (In this case yours needs to be smaller) Very Happy

--------------------
Rich Rogers
CCCUK Lifetime Member
2017 Yellow LT1 Camaro

johnny99

Awww... join the CCCUK!

Thu 21 Jan 10 09:11

Done it! Thanks Ben and Rich. Thumbs up The only stumbling block I hit was once I'd resized my pic, I couldn't work out how to transfer it to 'my details/avatar' page. After 20 minutes, I found the 'submit' button in the 'upload pics' section below! So it wasn't immediately apparent that that was the one I needed to hit. Scratchchin That's the problem with me having an IQ in single figures i guess, next on the agenda is learning how to tie my own shoelaces.... Laughing

Last edited by johnny99 on Thu 21 Jan 10 09:14; edited 1 time in total. [8 %]
--------------------
Johnny99

Ben

Webmaster

Thu 21 Jan 10 10:14

Well done Johnny. Nice-looking avatar!
I've added some more Submit buttons to that form - I agree the single button was a bit lost at the bottom.

--------------------

johnny99

Awww... join the CCCUK!

Thu 21 Jan 10 16:01

Well done Ben, a bit of snagging never goes amiss! Thumbs up

--------------------
Johnny99

stevel98

Awww... join the CCCUK!

Tue 29 May 12 08:51

I still use Paint to modify any images of mine as its so easy.. Cool

Just right click on a saved image, open with Paint and you have fast and easy access to size, rotation and any other attribute you wish to use or change. Thumbs up

Reply to topic
View previous topicEmail to a FriendPrinter FriendlyPrivate MessengerView next topic

Go to page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 / Next

Permissions