2.5k mile 1973 mustang for sale

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
For anyone wanting a 1971-73 mustang convertible, you probably won’t find better than this one.
Aventure motors of NY have this beautiful 1973 convertible for sale.
Only 2500 miles from new, fully documented and 1 previous owner. It’s got a 351ci as well.
Have purchased from them before and they do have lovely cars.
Had one and the same colour combination but without the ram air hood and the ultra low mileage, and mine only had a 302ci IMG_2309.jpegIMG_2308.jpegIMG_2307.jpegIMG_2310.jpeg

Last edited:

Roscobbc

$47K is quite a price - unusual car the '71 to '73 Mustang Vert. Arguable the most attractive and usuable/great to drive convertible of its day. Fabric convertible roof really suit the lines of the car well. Even though the '71 to '73 Mustang was the largest and heaviest and least Mustang like car with many haters it was the best driving and handling Mustang of all (except perhaps the '64.5 to '66 years.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Shouldn’t have a fabric roof. 60’s and 70’s US convertibles didn’t use fabric until the stayfast material top on the 1986 corvette.
All factory tops were “pinpoint “ vinyl, some offering various degrees of thickness.

Last edited:

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Also, fitting a fabric top takes up more room in the hood well as it’s thicker than the original vinyl causing the top not to sit inside the well properly making it very hard to fit the top boot.

Roscobbc

My '71 429 SCJ powered Mach 1 breadvan in OEM Light Metallic Pewter
71Mustang429SCJ.jpg

25 years later in 'resale' red - now in the 'States perhaps still undergoing a worthwhile 100 point restoration
P1050395.jpgP1050400.jpg

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Although Red looks great on 71-73 mustangs, in this case I much prefer the pewter metallic. I have the Danbury mint 1:24 Boss 351 in pewter with a black hood. Looks super.
Yours was/is a very rare car and I’m not surprised it went back stateside.
I know for years the “big” 1971-73 mustangs were considered the poor relations I personally always preferred them.
They are now coming into their own.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
A friend in Detroit bought one new (429SCJ) in 1971. Ford employee, huge discount. He raced everything and only the 440ci mopars gave him trouble. Had it as the first oil crisis hit and sold it and got a Pinto.
He still talks about that car today.

Roscobbc

Unsung hero. 'Traditional' Ford and Mustang owners hated them. Even though factory HP rating was 'only' 375 hp - the same as the much vaunted Boss 429 the difference was that the Boss was choked-up and struggled to achieve even 375 hp without headers......the SCJ 429 with its solid lifters and 780 cfm Holley was perhaps 50hp or more than factory figures.
Boss 351 with its Cleveland engine was very close on the 1/4 mile, probably due to putting its power down better. My SCJ came stock with 4.11 Detroit Locker and solid lifters. Engine was a 'waste' really behind a C6 auto. Even with 295's on rear it could so easily light the tyres in any gear......a really dangerour car in the wrong hands!
That reminds me - I have an old buddy with one of these - he's owned it since it was less than 5 years old. Haven't spoke with him in a few years.....have to see if he still owns it.

Roscobbc

A housemove and subsquent redundancy (caused by late 80's financial crash) meant the SCJ had to go. When things picked-up I bought a '48 Cadillac sedan and then a '67 Fairlane 390 GTA. Those had to go very shorty afterwards when yet another redundancy came knocking. Late 80's and early 90's were really turbulent times for many people. I was lucky to only lose the cars......many lost their houses, businesses, everything!
Thinking back - the car I really regret selling was the Fairlane GTA......such a well balanced and lightweight car.....so much better than many of its contemporaries even with the aging FE 390 GT spec' engine)

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
That's interesting Ross that your old car was "allowed" to keep its UK reg plates when sent back over to the US. Certainly a beast of a car. :cool:

Roscobbc

That's interesting Ross that your old car was "allowed" to keep its UK reg plates when sent back over to the US. Certainly a beast of a car. :cool:
Sorry Paul - I perhaps mislead you there - when I sold the car back in '90 the new owner 'restored' it and chose the new (wrong) colour. It was only kept a few years and it went to someone in Pinner at a profit. The next owner bought not as a rare muscle car but because it was the same appearing car as the James Bond movie vehicle.
I kept in touch with the new owner over the intervening years. It was only when he necame ill and passed away that his family offered the car to me, relatively cheap.
I should perhaps have bought it but was finanical strapped at the time. Despite its external appearance some of the typical problem areas of Mustangs from that era (rotting inner doors and hood inners, lower rear fenders etc) hadn't been repaired well. The car was worthy of full body resto....... just something far too expensive here in UK to contemplate and have any chance of ever getting your expenditure back.
Being one of only 500 or so produced it was certainly an 'ascending' value car.........just not here in the UK - a country where idiots pay stupid money for very ordinary '65/'66 base model notchback Mustangs.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Was always surprised the movie car which was supplied new by Ford didn’t have the black out hood treatment. Looks so much better than a solid painted hood. Also could have done with mag 500 wheels.
Fell in love with that shape mustang when I saw that film.

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
Also quite liked Jill St John. 😂😂
Are you allowed to say that in these days of "political correctness"? ;) Don't wanna get "cancelled"? ;) Some of the younger guys I have worked with over the years, now have "(He/Him)" after their names on their Linkedin profiles.

Roscobbc

Crazy, Crazy world.........Linkedin personifies that - people either rectal 'crawling' their bosses or customers and simply 'bigging' themselves up. - He/Him/Her/She/Non-Binary/Trans/Jedi/Thing/It........whatever. Total stupidity.