Battery size?

Knodty

CCCUK Member
Hi Guys fitted the biggest battery I could find to see if it would help with the slow cranking when the engine is hot. Managed to get this beast in the Vette. 😃
So far no problems which is good as it kept cutting out a few times when in drive. As I couldn’t get it to idle consistently at 850rpm in park.

Attachments

• IMG_3112.jpeg
    IMG_3112.jpeg
    254.8 KB · Views: 11

Roscobbc

How much was that mofo battery Pete?
I still get the hot start issues with mine sometimes......it usually re-starts after resting a couple of minutes.....I had thought about re-wiring battery to starter in significantly larger diameter cable to lower the load resistance (and matching the earth cable diameters too)

Knodty

CCCUK Member
It was £105 from Shield batteries limited. It is a tight squeeze through the compartment Door and it is a touch higher. But with 830 cca it is well worth the money.

Chuffer

CCCUK Member
Hi Guys fitted the biggest battery I could find to see if it would help with the slow cranking when the engine is hot. Managed to get this beast in the Vette. 😃
So far no problems which is good as it kept cutting out a few times when in drive. As I couldn’t get it to idle consistently at 850rpm in park.
A high torque starter motor cures the hot cranking issues on a C3 and is smaller and lighter than the standard massive starter so suffers less from heat soak as it has more air gap around it . It also puts less drain on the battery and is a popular upgrade . I fitted one a few years ago and have been very impressed .

Knodty

CCCUK Member
A high torque starter motor cures the hot cranking issues on a C3 and is smaller and lighter than the standard massive starter so suffers less from heat soak as it has more air gap around it . It also puts less drain on the battery and is a popular upgrade . I fitted one a few years ago and have been very impressed .
I have one of those mini starters fitted already.

Roscobbc

Perhaps the mini-starter is OK for a small block and auto transmission - some big block manuals have different starter fixings. They can be a b'stard to shim-up correctly as you can't get to the reverse side of the starter pinion to measure 'gap'.......potential risk of damaging ring gear teeth.