Best Battery ?

Chuffer

CCCUK Member
What brand of battery is recommended for a C3 in you guys experience ? I recall from old posts on the forum that Tayna are a good supplier of batteries but I cannot ID my particular battery as it a Japanese ( made in Korea ) battery and the only Japanese I know is Sushi , :ROFLMAO: The battery is a least 8 years old as that`s how long I have owned the car which previously lived in Japan for 27 years and it`s finally starting to loose its cranking power even after a long run .

Roscobbc

Have bought my last 3 batteries from Tanya. Good service. Current one is a Yuasa. For years their lead acid batteries were the top choice for fire and intruder alarms. Don't bother with Optima....too expensive and don't seem to last significantly longer than conventional flat plate batteries.

Chuffer

CCCUK Member
Thanks guys , based on Chris Sale`s reply I have just ordered a Varta Blue Dynamic from Tayna so fingers crossed for a good buy .

Jimkounter

CCCUK Member
I'm also looking for a new battery for my '81 as mine has just given up the ghost. My existing battery has almost no markings other than a Costco sticker and a "78". I need the screw in side terminal type but looking at the American style batteries on the Tayna website I can only get a max of 630 CCA. Is this enough?

Honestly, I'm at my wits end with this car and I really wish I'd never purchased it. Finding anyone to work on it ( including the usual suspects such as EMC) has been impossible.

Roscobbc

Is your '81 a Cross Fire car with original injection system? - where in the UK are you located - 630 CCA should be OK for small block - I'm using a 680 CCA on a stroker big block (have always used similar no. CCA) and it copes fine with it and its stock typr starter motor.

Jimkounter

CCCUK Member
It's the version prior to injection and uses carbs. Thanks for the response, I'll order one today. I was just worried about all this talk of needing 750+ CCA which I can't seem to find that'll fit my car.

I'm in Wiltshire not far from Swindon. I'm prepared to transport the car wherever it needs to go for repairs as I can no longer don't myself since destroying my spine lifting a heavy toolbox!

Roscobbc

Know where your 'coming from' - had a prolapsed disc removed some years back....I have good days/bad days.......have to pace myself with any manual activity......
Perhaps someone could chime-up if they have recommendations for someone on M4 corridor.....?

Jimkounter

CCCUK Member
Yep, three surgeries later including a fusion and revision I'm left unable to do any manual work at all. As soon as I get the car up and running again it'll have to be sold as I'm simply unable to do even the simplest maintenance. It's a real shame as the C3 had been my dream car for decades.

Roscobbc

We all need some form of distraction in life to take into another reality. If you could get someone reasonably close to you to do those simple maintenance jobs would you keep the car?
It went against all odds, I couldn't ride a bike anymore (couldn't shift or hold up the l/h side of the bike......had to drive automatic daily drivers......yet found the low slung C3 seat really comfortable AND I was able to shift gear on a manual and push down on a clutch pedal that was at the same level as my hips..........

FIVE RED

CCCUK Member
Don't bother with Optima....too expensive and don't seem to last significantly longer than conventional flat plate batteries
Although I have a C5, my Optima Red Top has been trouble free in over 12 years. Often Optima get a bad press but as they say - speak as you find.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
I'm also looking for a new battery for my '81 as mine has just given up the ghost. My existing battery has almost no markings other than a Costco sticker and a "78". I need the screw in side terminal type but looking at the American style batteries on the Tayna website I can only get a max of 630 CCA. Is this enough?

Honestly, I'm at my wits end with this car and I really wish I'd never purchased it. Finding anyone to work on it ( including the usual suspects such as EMC) has been impossible.

FYI,
The 78 you see listed on battery means it was defined as a series 78 battery by GM and
good battery listings should state what series battery it is

Roscobbc

Although I have a C5, my Optima Red Top has been trouble free in over 12 years. Often Optima get a bad press but as they say - speak as you find.
To be fair...guess one has to weigh up purchase cost Vs lifespan and compare with perhaps shorter lifespan alternatives and cumulative purchase cost?

Chuffer

CCCUK Member

Just fitted the new Varta E24 Blue Dynamic battery delivered bang on time from Tayna yesterday . It`s 70 ah battery with 630 CCA and should be ample for my 1980 that`s fitted with a 305 cu in Camaro IROC -Z engine that`s higher compression than the standard 350 small block . A lightweight High Torque starter motor helps save the strain too. As for work on your car , I know it`s not just up the road from Swindon but as you are happy to trailer it , try Williams Brothers Racing in Bugbrooke , Northants . They are ace guys who know Chevy engines inside out . I have had good service from them and have put other CCCUK members onto them too with no complaints I am aware of .

Chuffer

CCCUK Member
Yep, three surgeries later including a fusion and revision I'm left unable to do any manual work at all. As soon as I get the car up and running again it'll have to be sold as I'm simply unable to do even the simplest maintenance. It's a real shame as the C3 had been my dream car for decades.
It seems you have had a rough deal with your back surgery . In 2007 I had spinal surgery to the lower two vertibrae due to spinal stenosis plus a discectomy . The 17 years of rugby in the front row of the scrum as Hooker finally caught up with me . Had been in increasingly more agony for months and got the point that I couldn`t walk more than a 100yards without loosing all sensation from the waste downwards as the spinal cord was trapped . Within three months I was back at the gym regularly building up strength and fitness again and back to firing and driving steam locomotives in less than 6 months !! It was like I had never had a problem . Get some back ache now if I have been working on the car or in the garden for too long but that`s to be expected 17 years on I guess .

Roscobbc

I vividly remember speaking with the hospital consultant immediately after exiting the body scanner. His words were "your left spinal nervous cord is trapped by a lower disc, we have to remove the disc.....tonight!". "Its less than a millimeter thick, go home, get bedware and toiletries etc,....I'm operating tonight to give you a fighting chance against paralysis of the left leg, perhaps the bladder, even the bowels".
Fortunately just a dodgy ankle and weakened leg remain. Consultant said I would be very lucky if I regained all of the feelings in my left foot. He gave it a year......it finally took more than five years for the feelings to return. The back pain/weakness rarely goes away.......but on the positive side I can always drive the 'ass' off my Vette when I feel like it.......(others may disagree........:unsure:)

Chuffer

CCCUK Member
I vividly remember speaking with the hospital consultant immediately after exiting the body scanner. His words were "your left spinal nervous cord is trapped by a lower disc, we have to remove the disc.....tonight!". "Its less than a millimeter thick, go home, get bedware and toiletries etc,....I'm operating tonight to give you a fighting chance against paralysis of the left leg, perhaps the bladder, even the bowels".
Fortunately just a dodgy ankle and weakened leg remain. Consultant said I would be very lucky if I regained all of the feelings in my left foot. He gave it a year......it finally took more than five years for the feelings to return. The back pain/weakness rarely goes away.......but on the positive side I can always drive the 'ass' off my Vette when I feel like it.......(others may disagree........:unsure:)
Scary stuff !! I was told at the height of my problems that if all feeling didn`t return below the waist as soon as I sat down "get myself to A&E asap or I could end up paralysed which scared the shit out of me !!! Thankfully I dodged that bullet . (y)